Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tsweb, almost had it but gave up too easily. now i'm stuck!

Options
  • 08-02-2006 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

I was sooo close to getting the terminal services web interface working properly, but i couldn't get that final hurdle, and gave up.

i have iis installed, i have everything else that goes with it and it looked okay.

i could get to the www temp page and the tsweb page from the net, but it wasn't letting me log in.

i gave up in the end and disabled IIS and the WWW service on my PC and closed the port on my router, but it dawned on me this morning that it wasn't working because although I'd forwarded port 80 for the www service on the router, i hadn't forwarded 3389 for tsweb itself.

so anyway, i opened up the ports on the router again, and restarted the IIS and WWW services, but it's not working.

i can't get to either the default www page or the tsweb page with the ip address of my BB connection, or dyndns which is working correctly via my router, and the www temp page and the tsweb page both work from my home pc if i put in it's IP address plus either /localstart.asp or /tsweb into the browser.

my guess is that the services that were dependent on IIS aren't restarted but i don't know what they are and now I'm stuck.

so, my question is, does anyone know what services are needed to get it all working again?

or maybe what else could be wrong in the first place?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

just post your ip address, username and password and I'm sure someone will gladly help!!
    Just my little joke. :)

Have you got a personal firewall installed? - it might have been screwing up the original scenario. I had a rule for Remote Desktop to only allow local ip addresses and this carried forward into tsweb too.

Dunno what you've done wrong to get yourself totoally snookered now.

You might want to consider VNC instead of Remote Desktop or TSWEB, guess it depends on where you want to remotely log in from, or whether there is someone at yuor pc to see what you're doing!

Cheers,
    MK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, it's from work, and although logmein is working fine at the moment, it's somewhat restrictive and is far from being the quickest solution out there.

I've tried a couple of VNC options, but again ports keep causing me problems and the last thing I want to do is a port scan or I'll be booted out of the door before it's even finished! mind you, local admin accounts have web access, so I could log into a random pc on site (from over 1500, so safe enough) run a scan and see how that goes, but it's still a bit risky. they'll know someone is looking for holes and will either shut everything down or start looking more closely at what people are doing on the network. hmm, getting into dodgy territory with that sort of thing too, so might have to put those sorts of thoughts out of my head before I get myself into trouble. :(

I'm guessing that it's blocked ports, but it's really frustrating as I'm an admin on our domain, but our web proxy is controlled from the UK, so there's nothing I can do to change things here.

I actually manage all our local VPN users so I suppose I could vpn IN to work from home and once the connection is established, I can just make the outbound connection with an internal RDP session back to my home PC from there, but it's a bit of a convoluted setup.

its more of a learning experience for me than anything tbh, all I really do is use it to start off downloads, which logmein is more than adequite for, I just want to get it wokring for the sake of it. the geek in me needs to stretch his legs! :v:

Advertisement