Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Broadband Disaster Revisited

• 08-02-2006 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Was giving out there a couple of weeks about not having got my Eircom upgrade. Okay,thats not entirely true- my upload speed and download allowance were upgraded, but my download speed has halved to 512kbps. Now they're telling me my line won't support anything faster. I think this is bollox as I KNOW I was getting faster download speeds before the upgrade. Anyone else having problems? Fed up to the back teeth with Eircom and praying for NTL to arrive soon... :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Go with IBB! They have a mast in Bray that's only slightly over-subscribed! You will then be able to get crazy speeds such as 40kbps Download and 16kbps Upload! That's nearly as good as dial-up! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Teamhair

Yeah, tried them first but I don't have line of sight where I am. Besides, IBB is who we're with at work and its a load of ****e. Really unreliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Go with IBB! They have a mast in Bray that's only slightly over-subscribed! You will then be able to get crazy speeds such as 40kbps Download and 16kbps Upload! That's nearly as good as dial-up! :D

I could attach a dustbin lid to your chimney and take €49 euro out of your bank a/c every month. That would be the same a IBB, better even if you consider no possibility of downloading a virus or any nasty stuff. If you phone me, I'll keep you on hold for as long as it takes for you to understand that I just don't give a sh1t. If you manage to send me any emails I will of course delete them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

If you dont want to use P2P, then ClearWire may be an option. I have it in Bray and get fantastic speeds for normal downloads. Gaming was crao but they appear to be sorting that out now as COD and CS are all working fine.

Just did an irishisptet on now and am getting:
    2.29Mbps down
    306Kbps up

That is about the norm for what I get using that test.

Note: I am not recommending ClearWire as I have had loads of trouble with them, but maybe you can get a trial with them if you are in a suitable location in Bray (around the southern cross mainly).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ive been having problems since the day of the upgrade, in the past 3 weeks i havent had one day where my connection has been stable all day, previously i was on 2megs and always got 1.76mbs in the speedtest and pings of 30-40ms, since the upgrade i was upgraded to 3mbs and my speeds starting warping anywhere from 22k to 2.65mbs, mostly staying under 1mb and pings mostly 400-1000ms, I was then downgraded without instuction back to 2mb and the connection was still as bad, now ive been upgraded back to 3megs again and its still rotten, only sometimes do i get my full speed and good pings but it doesnt stay like that for long. Ive tested for all spyware, virus... ive done a linecheck and eircom say my line is perfect and can take up to nearly 7mb, my modem feedback stats are good so I dunno what the problem is... it seems like contention but my friends who live on the same road as me on the same eircom package do not get this problem at all, the only difference i can find it theres report that they are on interleved eircom and mine reports that im on fastpath eircom... I rang eircom and told them that im on fastpath and that i want it changed back to interleving and they told me that they cant change that because my modem is set to what the exchange is set at etc.

Im gonna try and install my friends wireless netopia modem today and see is it my modem thats at fault but i dont think it is.

• Advertisement

I could attach a dustbin lid to your chimney and take €49 euro out of your bank a/c every month. That would be the same a IBB, better even if you consider no possibility of downloading a virus or any nasty stuff. If you phone me, I'll keep you on hold for as long as it takes for you to understand that I just don't give a sh1t. If you manage to send me any emails I will of course delete them.
    LOLLLLL :D

We had a good laugh in work with that one! Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Of course they can flippin' change it to interleaving, that's how it was set before the upgrades occurred. It seems they changed it to fastpath on good lines.

Teamhair, a smart thing to try is another modem to see if you can get better speeds.

Yeah, tried another modem already and it wouldn't pick up the DSL at all. My Netopia router takes a long time to pick up the signal as well- takes up to 25 minutes to sync whenever its rebooted. Think my line has gone to crap but Eircom is telling me its perfect. Dunno how they can say that- my SNR numbers are brutal. Ready to give up at this point and just live with it until somthing better comes along.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Teamhair wrote:
    my upload speed and download allowance were upgraded, but my download speed has halved to 512kbps. Now they're telling me my line won't support anything faster.

Unless it drops below 256k they will do nothing, the package is a min 256k package and does that . They will downgrade you for free to their cheapest always on package though ! Thats the 1mbit one.

You should try to help yourself by disconnecting everything else/changing filters from your internal wiring to see what happens .......it may improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Teamhair, remind me of your SNR again, please? Mine sometimes drops to 4dB and I have solid 3Mbps. In Bray. If you haven't already, try to move the modem to the master socket. That will give you the best possible signal in your house.

• Advertisement

I am signed up for the 1MB service!!! Thats what I'm paying for- there isn't anything I can downgrade to! Modem is plugged into the only jack that I use- don't have an actual phone/handset at all. No digibox or anything else for that matter that could be interfering. Off the top of my head the SNR's are 3 and 6.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just tried my friends modem and my connection is still awfull so its not the modem:(... next thing to try reformat my computer or a different pc

Gonzo wrote:
    just tried my friends modem and my connection is still awfull so its not the modem:(... next thing to try reformat my computer or a different pc
    Bring your PC to your friend's house! Don't go formatting coz Eircom can't get it right!

Advertisement