Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The new Daily Mail

• 08-02-2006 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any opinions on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Can't have an opinion on something I won't buy and won't read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I preferred the English one to reinforce my feelings that the country was going to the dogs.

As far as I can remember, the English one sold about 1,200 copies a day here from a recent figure I saw. Somehow I cannot see the Irish edition doing much better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭andrew1977

what annoys me about all the english papers who produce an irish edition is their few pages of irish news and the remainder is clips and advertisements relating to the u.k ,just copied across from the english edition .
    wont be buying it ,i seen the first edition of it on monday , no more than a few pages in ,it deviates off to more local u.k news than ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ivan087

jrey1981 wrote:
    As far as I can remember, the English one sold about 1,200 copies a day here from a recent figure I saw. Somehow I cannot see the Irish edition doing much better...

In fact I think that figure is closer to 10,000. but that could be 10,000 a week. still its a healthy figure to come into the market. I wouldnt go near the daily mail myself - its history of irish beating, its general right wing outlook and their small irish content isnt for me. but i think they will establish themselves in the irish market. they know what they're doing - aiming for the housewife. and its 30 cent price wont do them any harm either. it will be interesting to see how the indo will react. at the moment they seem a little confused, but i think that paper will get more trashy and right wing (if it isnt aleady!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I got the first one as it was free.

I was actually surprised as there was a lot more Irish news in it than I expected there would be. English advertisements was a bit of a dissappointment though.

My local shop only stocked it for about a week though as it wasnt selling.

I don't think I would buy it on a regular basis none of the stories,or features whether they be irish or english really interested me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I got the first one as it was free.

I was actually surprised as there was a lot more Irish news in it than I expected there would be. English advertisements was a bit of a dissappointment though.

And they have said they have no plans to sell Irish ads in the near future, which I don't get at all... are the english companies paying extra for Irish exposure (even though some of the services are useless to Irish consumers)??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Most of what pays for newspapers are the ads, and ad buyers appreciate selling them in the ROI as well as the UK, for the most part. An ad for a film or for a program on Channel 4 works in both countries, even where prices can be different. That and they do want to have the option to come in heavy at a later date.

Advertisement