Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mouse/Keyboard not working

• 08-02-2006 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

My mates PC has a funny problem, His mouse/keyboard wont work. and we have tired 6 different mice and none of them work, He is running XP and he has users set up so he cant get past the 1st page. He doesnt really know why it happened.

He did tell me he was running a PS2 Emulator for a while. But the PC was working fine for ages with the Emulator installed.

We have tested the mice/keyboard on other pc's and some work and some dont.

anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Are the connectors round PS/2 or USB?

A quick fix around the login is to...at the welcome screen, press ctrl+alt together, then the delete button twice.

That will bring you a windows 2000 style login screen. then, if your keyboard works, use tab button to navigate.

As for the problem, could be a controller prob. You can get PS/2 x2 sockets to USB converter cables which could be a quick fix provided the keybopard and mouse are functioning fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

humaxf1 wrote:
    Are the connectors round PS/2 or USB?

A quick fix around the login is to...at the welcome screen, press ctrl+alt together, then the delete button twice.

That will bring you a windows 2000 style login screen. then, if your keyboard works, use tab button to navigate.

As for the problem, could be a controller prob. You can get PS/2 x2 sockets to USB converter cables which could be a quick fix provided the keybopard and mouse are functioning fine.

As i said before the keyboard doesnt work.

We have tried all kinds of mice, from USB /wireless and the round ones.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try in safe mode.

then take a system restore snapshot and uninstall the mouse drivers.

If on an network install RealVNC and you'll probably find it works

Dumb question you haven't put a ps/2 keyboard into the ps/2 mouse port - sometimes one or the other works but not both if you mix them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

try in safe mode.

then take a system restore snapshot and uninstall the mouse drivers.

If on an network install RealVNC and you'll probably find it works

Dumb question you haven't put a ps/2 keyboard into the ps/2 mouse port - sometimes one or the other works but not both if you mix them

Nope didnt put them in worng ,, lol and we did check just in case,

We cant access safe mode as the keyboard doesn't work.

I think it will be a re-install of windows,,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you can't press F8, check that you can get into the BIOS
    if you can get into BIOS check for viruses and/or boot from CD and into recovery console and FIXBOOT if not work perhaps FIXMBR but I would have thought partition viruses were extinct.

remove any recently added HW and peripherials esp. USB

to get into safe mode make an NT boot disk on a PC with similar OS, and change the default in boot.ini

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

If you can't access safemode or bios using ps/2 keyboard and mouse, you should try USB versions if avalible. There could be conflict or they could be faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Have come across this problem many times when I was working in tech support. Unplug the machine. Then, hold in the power button on the machine for about 10/15 seconds to discharge residual power from mainboard. Power it up. Now, try to access the BIOS on the machine, usually F2 (can depend on manufacturer). The keyboard is picked up at the post, so if you can get into the BIOS, this is an indication that the keyboard/kb controller aren't faulty.

If this works, it is just a matter of rebooting and getting into safe mode (usually F8). Once in safe mode, just go start->shutdown->restart. Hey presto, when you boot into normal mode, keyboard and mouse will be working. I don't have a very technical explanation for you but it seems to happen when the PC booted from hibernation/standby instead of a hard boot. Also seemed to happen when the PC was moved recently.

I should mention that this could take a few tries to get a success but it worked for every case that I came across. Hopefully you haven't formatted by now!

Advertisement