Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insulating eaves

Options
  • 08-02-2006 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

hi,
    we are building a tf dormer and we are at the stage of insulating the roof and inner walls. We have rigid board put on all the external walls. Our carpenter was about to stuff rockwool into the fascia and soffit but I asked him to hold off a few hours while I checked it out because as far as I remember you leave an air gap and I had originaly planned on insulating the area where the wall and the roof meet from the inside. What is the correct way of doing it?

Thanks Eve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

STOP!
    You need a good supply of air entering the soffit and this should have a clear run to the attic. Stuffing rockwool into cavities as you have suggested will trap moisture and lead to timber decay. It is vital that the house be able to 'breathe' properly.
    Consult any relevant website (sorry can't think of any offhand) or the Homebond book for diagrams; required airflow patterns are easy to understand.

Rusty

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

Thanks Rusty,
    I had already told him to stop but as I didn't have my books with me I just needed confirmation that I was doing the correct thing as he was being a bit thick headed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi eve,

Just so Rusty doesn't feel lonely :) I fully agree with him one reason that comes to mind is condensation.

I expect you have gone to a lot of trouble having sofitt vents fitted, they are not there for show ;) so any more arguing ask him to give you a detailed explanation as to why your roof is ventilated at all ;)

Advertisement