Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please?

Options
  • 08-02-2006 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I have a relative who owns at least an acre of land around their current house, they have been contacted by a developer that wishes to purchase a segment of land from them, this developer has been in contact with a few of their neighbours as well. He claims that the land that they have is about to be purchased by a compulsory purchase order and that they would receive less than the €90k that he is offering for it, also there will a new ring road built near them soon, and he claims that this will devalue the land further. I believe that the relative is being unneccessarily pressured into selling up the land at a very cheap price. The area is connected to mains water/sewage, in county offaly.

How is land value calculated for compulsary purchase orders? Is my relative being deceived into selling up at gross undervalue? Where can i get more information on whether the local county council is considering a compulsory purchase order?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

contact Offaly county council.

The developer obviously wants it for a reason and doesn't want to loose out so find out his intentions for the land too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lil-buttons

Ok the best thing to do is contact offaly county council. They will tell you if there is a cpo on the land. If so they probably would have contacted ur relatives. I do think the contractor is trying to con ur familly cos if there was a cpo issued on the land the county council would have isued the documents to ur relatives. The only way the contractor would find out if there was a cpo on the land would be if he was close to somenone in the council
    How he would know seriously baffles me.

Also check the development plan by the county council the land probably may not even be zoned for commercial or residential purposes if u say theres a good lot of land in the area.

Hope that helps u .

Check county council, county development plan and with local politicans who will know what is proposed for the area. If there is no mention of a new road from any source, ask developer where he got the info. If he relies on bluff and bluster, tell him to pay your price or take a hike with his cute hoor tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

One obvious question to consider is this: if the land is about to be subject to compulsory purchase order, then wouldn't it be subject to CPO regardless of who owned it.

With this in mind, why would the local authority pay any less per acre to your relatives than they would to the developer? And if they wouldn't, then why would the developer want the land in the first place? Surely he'd be facing quite a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Thanks for all the replies ;) , i do know that one of the neighbours have told the developer to take a hike and if they receive a CPO then so be it, that they will deal with it then.

I'll tell my relative to contact the county council and inquire about any CPO's pending in his area and what development is upcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.scs.ie/publication/cpo.asp
    One obvious question to consider is this: if the land is about to be subject to compulsory purchase order, then wouldn't it be subject to CPO regardless of who owned it.

With this in mind, why would the local authority pay any less per acre to your relatives than they would to the developer? And if they wouldn't, then why would the developer want the land in the first place? Surely he'd be facing quite a loss.
    Yes, it does sound like bluff on his behalf.

I can only think of two things.

(a) the site is near an exit from the road
    (b) this being Ireland there is some sort of scam going on in the CPO.

Advertisement