Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warranty On A Second Hand Car

Options
  • 08-02-2006 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I ahve a 03 Mondeo. 50K miles, hardly broken in. I am tempted later on this year to maybe move it on. Question I have, is there anyway i can buy a warranty on a car? like a small insurance policy?. Anyway of doing it. I think the car would sell quicker if there was taht piece of mind on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Is the manufacturer's warranty not still valid? I've never heard of anyone doing what you're suggesting and buying an insurance warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

zuutroy wrote:
    Is the manufacturer's warranty not still valid? I've never heard of anyone doing what you're suggesting and buying an insurance warranty
    manufactureres ran out before xmas, and i missed out on renewal!! they never reminded me., i could have renewed it again on the day.
    My understandning form a previous dealing with a garage, was their warrantys were like little insurance policys, and they claimed on an individual car if there were problems on it...maybe i mis interpreted him....

Depending on what you're planning to do with the car, the hassle and cost involved in giving someone a warranty wouldn't really be worth it. Why not trade it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

zuutroy wrote:
    Depending on what you're planning to do with the car, the hassle and cost involved in giving someone a warranty wouldn't really be worth it. Why not trade it in?

Dont want too. No offence and appreciate your info, but i have i wanted to trade it in, i wouldnt be asking the above question. Just thought there might be someone from the trade here.

OK. To be honest, I've bought and sold a lot of cars, my two cents is that offering a warranty on the likes of a '03 Mondeo will not make it any more attractive to a private buyer. They'll come with their mechanic and if he's satisfied then they should take it. It'd be a different story if it was >5-6 years old.
    Sorry I cant help with recommending the service you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Your best chance of selling a Mondeo quick is selling it at the right price. If your price is anyway high I suspect you will be left with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

zuutroy wrote:
    OK. To be honest, I've bought and sold a lot of cars, my two cents is that offering a warranty on the likes of a '03 Mondeo will not make it any more attractive to a private buyer.

I bought a focus of similar vintage recently and took my change rather than the dealers warranty.

Warranty direct in the UK offer the kind of service you are looking for, but I doubt if they cover irish cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I think buyer beware covers this. If you wanted you could get a AA report on it if you want, but I don't think you'd have a problems selling the car anyway. So it would be throwing money away. Service history, receipts of work done would be just as worth while.

Advertisement