Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheese

• 08-02-2006 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

I FRICKIN' LOVE CHEESE!

I love it so much that I will climb the tallest mountain in the local area (my desk) and shout it with abandon at my startled cubicle colleagues.

"CHEEESE!"

Obviously, any vegans in the area are exempt, but I just want all you vegetarians out there to extoll your adoration for cheese!

Also...unless you don't like it. But if you do like it - say it!

And if you're lactose intolerant, you're also exempt.

But man, I couldn't live without cheese.

And finally, just to clarify, it's vegetarian rennet. And it's not cheestrings or those horrible easi-singles, it's proper cheese.

This has gotten very complicated for what was supposed to be a simple message of love.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Shouldn't this be in the main food and drink forum? Or do you solely want responses about vegetarian cheese?

I couldn't live without little regional non-vegetarian French cheeses. I'd eat them if they were rennet free too, of course, but most of the small manufacturers still do include it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

I used to love cheese too...I mean I still do, but just cannot bring myself to eat it now in the knowledge that milk is obtained in a cruel and exploitive manner. Cows are enslaved to calf-birth in order that they can lactate, and often the calf is removed immediately after the fact, causing much distress to both mother and offspring. The process itself is severely intensive and the source of debilitating diseases like mastitis and spine damage. If one is a vegetarian on ethical grounds then logically, one should also abstain from dairy products.

It always amuses me to see those (cheesey!) ad campaigns that say something like, "Cheese/milk/butter... it's a natural thing!". No other mammalian species in adulthood consumes milk, nevermind the fact that the one most often consumed in our society comes from a completely different animal altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

Well, the reason I love cheese so much is that I couldn't be vegetarian without it.

Now, get on with proclaiming your love, Shabadu!

And that's nasty about the cows. Dammit. Why did I post this? Then I mightn't have found that out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I love cheese, soooo much. Very rarely eat it though as it is quite expensive to get good vegetarian cheese from a source that is not like samos says.

Well, from someone who has been on numerous Dairy farms I'd take what Samos is saying with a pinch of salt. God I love cheese though. Hard thinly sliced reggiano, melty swiss, gooey soft French cheeses, fresh and zingy Goats cheese, soft and unctuous mascarpone whipped with maple syrup and vanilla and drizzled over baked figs...

I'll move this to the main forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I love cheese BIG time, so much so, I'm eating it right now. There's nothing nicer than a good 'ole bit of Cheddar!.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Shabadu wrote:
    Well, from someone who has been on numerous Dairy farms I'd take what Samos is saying with a pinch of salt.
    Dunno about taking it with a pinch of salt. I grew up in the country- surrounded by farms, have uncles, cousins grandparents that are farmers. Both parents were raised on farms,mother works with farming all the time in her job, Trying to keep things up to scratch. I have to unfortunately agree with samos.
    It was seeing what goes on in farms that was a big factor for me, nothing like seeing things first hand. Although Ireland is getting a bit better I would say, there are a lot of good and nice farmers out there. It's the bastards that I have a problem with...

Still though, when you know where to get your cheese, yum!!!
    one of my favourite foods. Small farms are usually the best for cheese.

edit, woot, different forum now. \o/

Jesus Tar, whatever. You're the only one who grew up in a farm house. You may remember that I'm of Offaly & Meath origin? Fair enough most of my relatives were arable/beef farmers, but my great grandfather had one of the largest dairy herds in Ireland at one stage. I've been in large Dairys, and I know farmers who know every single one of their cows. This 'trauma' the cows go through being seperated from their young is overdramatised from my experience. Normally, they let a heifer keep her first for longer. They grow detatched quite rapidly, and faster with each succesive calf. What about all the calves that are rejected by their mothers? It's a bloody large proportion. Do you know how many farmers take the abandoned calves into their homes and hand rear them? Every single Irish farmer I've met has more respect for the land and the animals than most vegetarians I've met.

Look- you're not the only one from farming stock, and I get sick of the way you try to be the worlds authority on everything. As you said, SOME farmers are bastards. By and large the majority of Irish farmers are ethical and good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

So hey - er, who else likes cheese?

/me hands Tar the cheese piece peace pipe.

• Advertisement

/me accepts and enjoys smoked cheese.

Cheese- the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

only like the type you get on pizza's other than that i destest the stuff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

ooh i love cheese. especially melted cheese, ementhal, gouda, cheddar, mozeralla.... mmmmmmmmmmmm

on a side note, some renin is produced by recombinant bacteria, it's veggie but im not sure if it has to be marked as GM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement