Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling along the Grand Canal

Options
  • 08-02-2006 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I live in an area near to the Grand Canal and I have a choice, when cycling to work in Ranelagh, of two routes:

1 joining the canal from the SCR (South Circular Road) and cycling on it all the way to the junction at Ranelagh before turning right or

2 Going all the way towards town along the SCR, left and round past the Bleeding Horse pub and turn right, past the Harcourt ST Luas stop and back round left towards to canal on the road to Ranelagh.

This second route probably takes a wee bit longer and is harder to negotiate for cyclists than the long, fairly pleasant, straight path running along the canal up to Ranelagh and turning right.

Why do I chose the second route? Slower cyclists. I cycle fairly quickly, overtaking most other cyclists who happen to be sharing the same road/path. I come to a set of traffic lights and stop a little bit before the lights to give pedestrians enough room to cross. But what do these other, slower cyclists do? The ride up past me, park on or beyond the pedestrian crossing at the very edge of the junction, so they can ride off first.

You can guess what happens then. The lights change green and I get stuck behinds these idiots until I once again find space to overtake them. And we come up to another traffic lights and the same thing happens again.

Cycling in traffic on my second route means fewer cyclists to hold you up as you're slipping past the gridlocked cars. Cycling in traffic is also a superbly absorbing challenge of anticipation, judgment and skill. Negotiating the rush hour can become a kind of road choreography.

I've never spouted about this at the dinner table or in the pub, but wondering what others here think. Am I being a fascist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

I have had this problem too. You're not the only one.
    I have also noticed that slower cyclists have more of a tendancy to run through the red lights and you have to pass them once again also...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

yeah I get that a fair bit too. I'm not super fast or anything, but I think I go faster than most other commuters. If I take the short way in (Howth Road), then I will probably come up against the situation you describe. If I go the long way in (Coast), then there's none of it. I prefer the long way anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I'd still opt for the canal - I'm afraid of corners.

If you place yourself in the middle of the lane ahead of all the traffic you should be able to nip past the slower riders as the lights turn green. Don't get boxed in between the kerb, cars and other riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Morgan wrote:
    I'd still opt for the canal - I'm afraid of corners.

If you place yourself in the middle of the lane ahead of all the traffic you should be able to nip past the slower riders as the lights turn green. Don't get boxed in between the kerb, cars and other riders.
    Of course. Thats a great tip. Thanks Morgan. Although Jeremy Clarkson's oft-quoted threat to cyclists comes to mind ie that if he sees a cyclist in front of him the traffic lights, he will run him over once the lights turn green.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Trampas

I cycle down the canal every day and I know what you mean.

I am would be one of the fastest going down the canal but I unlike you i go to the corner and wait till the lights go green and have my gears in a low gear so i can take off quick enough.

It works for me.

I find a big problem is mopeds using the cycle line than motobikes.

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote:
    I find a big problem is mopeds using the cycle line than motobikes.

I assume mopeds aren't allowed in cycle lanes (ones marked with continuous white lines). The other day I shouted at one fella who was in my way, he didn't really appreciate it, but I couldnt hear what he said back through his helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

hmmm cyclists complaining about other cyclists :D
    Pretty much the same with cars, slow drivers in overtaking lane etc..

Sorry cyclists bug me sometimes.. always breaking lights... not obeying rules of the road.. hell a lot of them do not even have lights on at night. When i get the chance to cycle i obey the rules of the road just like cars do or are supposed to.

I had one old guy on a bike give out to me, i assume thats what he was doing.. i was merging into traffic from a side street and traffic stopped so my front end was sticking out. He had to navigate around my car and he stopped and shouted something to which i ignored.. I mean this was not even a cycle lane he was just in his own world where cyclists do not have to obey rules but motorists should not be on his road.

Sorry way off topic rant.

Why not do what slow people do.. pull up so you are first?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yep - a little bugbear of mine too - but I always pull up beside these cyclists at the front of the junction and ask if they mind me moving off first. I rarely get a no, but if i do, it doesn't matter, I've got hub gears and usually end up taking off more quickly anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

Saruman wrote:
    I had one old guy on a bike give out to me, i assume thats what he was doing.. i was merging into traffic from a side street and traffic stopped so my front end was sticking out. He had to navigate around my car and he stopped and shouted something to which i ignored.. I mean this was not even a cycle lane he was just in his own world where cyclists do not have to obey rules but motorists should not be on his road.

I don't particularly want to start another driver vs. cyclist argument but until you cycle around Dublin, you won't realise how awkward the situation you describe is.

If you sit with your nose on the road, the only way for the cyclist to get past is to move out into traffic. Maybe you're different and have a calm, relaxed driving manner :) but most other drivers in the city will make no attempt to let you do this safely.

I'm not blaming you, it's just a lack of experience.

PS Some cyclists do obey the rules of the road so tarring us all with the same brush because you failed to observe them is a little odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I wouldn't go so far as to ask people if I can take off ahead of them! I get this exact problem the whole way through Rathmines where there are loads of cyclists and pedestrians who presume that because the traffic is stopped there is no need to look before crossing the road.

Saruman: Leaving your bonnet stuck out like that can be very frustrating for a cyclist. Any momentum a cyclist has has to be generated himself so having to slow down unneccesarily can be very annoying. Also navigating around your bonnet means we have to verge out into the traffic, probably annoying any other road users in the meantime.

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote:

Saruman: Leaving your bonnet stuck out like that can be very frustrating for a cyclist. Any momentum a cyclist has has to be generated himself so having to slow down unneccesarily can be very annoying. Also navigating around your bonnet means we have to verge out into the traffic, probably annoying any other road users in the meantime.

I understand, but my point was there was no reason for him to even look at me.. traffic was stopped.. he was in no danger and i was only slightly out as in so the next car (which had let me out) knows im there and want to go that direction. I was not blocking him very much, he just could not go perfectly straight. any other cyclist would have gone by full speed.. he was old so stopped, walked his bike around my car so he could shout something and act king of the road.

You would only have to verge out into traffic if there was in fact moving traffic, in which case i would not be stuck out and be stopped and so the only way that could happen is if i came out and cut off a cyclist.. in which case i would be an ass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

King Raam wrote:
    I assume mopeds aren't allowed in cycle lanes (ones marked with continuous white lines). The other day I shouted at one fella who was in my way, he didn't really appreciate it, but I couldnt hear what he said back through his helmet

Oh dear, you've set off a rant in me. Mopeds and even motorcyclists who use the cycle lane. its the one thing guaranteed to make my blood boil. At least you can pass slower cyclists in a cycle lane but you can't pass a slower moped.

They should overtake on the outside. Its dangerous too for them to be in cycle lanes, given the weight of their machines compared to bikes. I sleep easily at night knowing that if i have the misfortune to run into someone on a bicycle, i'm unlikely to kill or seriously maim them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Calm down, dears. You'll get there in the end, even if it's a few minutes later.

luckat wrote:
    Calm down, dears. You'll get there in the end, even if it's a few minutes later.

..it's not just about getting there, it's also about the manner in which you get there and what you have to encounter along the way and how it might kill you! (yes that last bit was a tad dramatic)

You can overtake a moped? I mean thats actually impressive.. most mopeds can go at least 60kph, i know mine did years ago (98) and it was a 50cc only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Saruman wrote:
    Sorry cyclists bug me sometimes.. always breaking lights... not obeying rules of the road.. hell a lot of them do not even have lights on at night. When i get the chance to cycle i obey the rules of the road just like cars do or are supposed to.
    While it may not apply to this situation, usually the stop/yield sign at junctions shows drivers where to stop, they are breaking the rules of the road by not stopping at the line, sticking their bonnets out and causing other road users to swerve to avoid them.
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

Oh no.... its (yet) another driver vs. cyclist argument brewing. Run for your lives :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What about cycling through Portobello?

There are idiots in all walks of life.
    Saruman wrote:
    i was merging into traffic from a side street and traffic stopped so my front end was sticking out.
    So you failed to stop in a safe position, without due care for other road users?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

is it just me or does traffic going from ranelagh to crumlin on the canal in the evenings , not give a fcuk about cyclists and cycle lanes? - i have had a van pull nearly on top of me at portobello bridge , and then a jeep turn left on me - no indication no sign nothing , i was damn lucky to make it home thta day - so much so that i now cycle along the other side of the canal , on the footpath all the way home - wayyyy to dangerous to use the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

There will always be cyclists taking it easier than most. I overtake all the time. It's not unsafe if you are aware of whats happening around you. I cycle my commute pretty fast, around 30kmh on long parts but a little less in heavier traffic. I don't mind slower cycists though. Some people just don't like going fast. There is no problem with coming out far at traffic lights as long as you are not in a yellow box, interrupting a crossing or anyone else's path. I don't think I'd ask anyone if it'd be grand for me to overtake them though! I think I'd find it a bit weird if someone asked me.

Anyway, it's not that big a deal; overtaking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement