Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Call costs

• 08-02-2006 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Anyone else been checking their price plans on callcosts.ie

Seems to make a good job of comparing the various and confusing call plans from the different operators. I'm on pay as you go (moderate call and text usage) and the site keeps insisting that I'd be better off with meteor! Maybe it's a meteor site:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Of course you would be better off with Meteor their coverage is not the best so you wouldnt be able to run up call costs !!!!lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

meteor are the cheapest 9c a text or 5c text bundles and free text to 085 or 5c per min calls to meteor and landline i think.... normal calls cost 20c all day or 40c before 6 and 13c after 6pm....

and im living in meath and the coverage is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Dellas wrote:
    Of course you would be better off with Meteor their coverage is not the best so you wouldnt be able to run up call costs !!!!lol :)

Meteor are quite obviously the cheapest network overall, and the coverage is quite good in my experience. I'm mainly in Dublin, but I'm in the west and north west frequently and never have any trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

vodafones daytime rate to other networks is 65c, meteors is 40. they are also cheaper in every other way. thats why call costs is telling you you should be with them. the reason is because you should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭dubadubdub

I've heard alright that the urban legends about meteor's bad coverage is just that - legend. Think I'll be switching - fed up getting ripped off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I think the site is very useful, but it can be misleading. It useless for SPT, SME and Corps.The fact being that O2 and Vf tend to tailor there price plans for this base, or use a unpublished price plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Been with them for a year and a half, no problems with coverage in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Dellas wrote:
    that was only when they first came out
    dont be so narrow minded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lizanne

the bad coverage is not a myth- i had to move from them because i couldnt make calls without getiing an engaged tone EVERY time- i kept getting cut off during calls as well and most of the time the person i was talking to couldnt hear me

maybe its good in dublin cos theres more masts up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

well its all over limerick, and when you dont have meteor coverage you roam on to O2's network so how could you have a bad signal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Seeing as I never call any Meteor users and I only send a handful of texts a month, 3 is by far the cheapest for me. And I would think this is true for anyone who makes a reasonable amount of calls on their phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Blaster99 wrote:
    Seeing as I never call any Meteor users and I only send a handful of texts a month, 3 is by far the cheapest for me. And I would think this is true for anyone who makes a reasonable amount of calls on their phone.

true meteor is only cheaper than 3 if you know a lot of people on meteor. thats why i have a 3 phone and a meteor phone just for free texts to my gf :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Dellas wrote:

Meteor 'piggy back' O2's network where they haven't got their own. Therfore they have the same coverage as O2. I have a meteor in Donegal. No problem whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

im on vodafone and meteor. meteor for txting my 085 friends, vodafone for everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

smashey wrote:
    Meteor 'piggy back' O2's network where they haven't got their own. Therfore they have the same coverage as O2. I have a meteor in Donegal. No problem whatsoever.

There seems to be some misunderstandings here on how these virtual network agreements work in practice. With networks like Meteor and 3, you can find yourself in a marginal coverage area where the O2 or Vodafone signal would be a lot better but you're still within a Meteor or 3 coverage area so you get a poorer signal. With Meteor or 3, you want to be either in an urban area or in the complete sticks to be guaranteed good coverage.

Advertisement