Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Classes in Dublin?

• 08-02-2006 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I Posted this a while back, but I think it was in the wrong section, and got lost.

Does anyone know of any Irish classes for adults in Dublin, where there is a teacher, and you learn like in school. I don't mean language exchange groups .I hate the ones where you have to talk to everyone in Irish and practice. I find it really cringy and as I am a bit shy, I find it awkward too. I just want lessons where someone teaches, and you take notes/ask questions.
    My Irish is ok, not brilliant. I could hold a basic conversation if I needed to, but am not very confident.

Anyone know of any?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Club chonradh na Gaeilge

Lessons there midweek link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Cnoc16

psi wrote:
    Club chonradh na Gaeilge

Lessons there midweek link

Thanks psi. Do you know if it is actual lessons (as in a school-type envoirnment) or is it conversation exchange? because Im not too keen on the latter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Cnoc16 wrote:
    Thanks psi. Do you know if it is actual lessons (as in a school-type envoirnment) or is it conversation exchange? because Im not too keen on the latter

Not sure (they usually come down after I've started drinking).

I think there are varied lessons, beginner to advanced, the advanced being conversation classes and the beginners being the basics.

None of them would be like school though, they're more like college classes.

Your other option might be to check out UCD. They have a very active Bord Na Gaelige there and you may be able to go to those sessions, they kinda have group discussions on articles, films etc, search the website, Clar is a lovely woman and she will prob give you advice even if you're not able to attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Conradh na Gaeilge classes are in standard school class format as far as I know.

There's also An tIonad Buail Isteach in Temple Bar:

www.ionad.org

and Gael-Linn have a branch on Dame Street

www.gael-linn.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Cnoc16 wrote:
    Does anyone know of any Irish classes for adults in Dublin, where there is a teacher, and you learn like in school. I don't mean language exchange groups .I hate the ones where you have to talk to everyone in Irish and practice. I find it really cringy and as I am a bit shy, I find it awkward too. I just want lessons where someone teaches, and you take notes/ask questions.

Anyone know of any?

I have to say I was and still am kind of like this myself but I too couldn't find any other method of delivery, so I bit the bullet and tried it, that was 4 years ago now and I still attend Conradh every week and get a little bit less embarrased every time. My advice would be to give it a go and just put up with it for one year and you will be surprised, I did, and four years later I have a basic level of Fluency that I couldn't have achieved anywhere else.

ádh mór ort.

21/25

• Advertisement
Advertisement