Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Motorola V3 feedback?

• 08-02-2006 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Hi folks!

I'm looking for a new phone for my wife, her old Nokia is so bruised and bashed that it's starting to look like me :D

She doesn't need or want any of the fancy features such as video calls, mobile internet etc. She also wants a decent battery life. I believe that pretty much excludes 3G phones as they're all bulky and have a lower battery life than 2G ones.

I think Motorola V3 looks very promising, I've heard that the build quality and the materials used are outstanding and I'd like to hear more. Is this true?

How easy is the phone to use? For texting and making calls, she might want to take the occasional photo and that's it.

And the main question - how good are the buttons on the phone? They look like touch buttons on old TV's. Do you have to press them, or do they simply react on touch? If you're not using predictive text input, is it easy to write messages? Is there sufficient feedback to know if you've pressed the button once or twice or three times, or do you need to keep looking at the screen?

If anybody owns one, I'd like to hear their comments.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if someone told you that the build quality and materials of the motorola v3 are outstanding, that person does not like you very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Buttons are awful, phone is awful. Avoid like the plague.

If she's looking for a basic, easy to use phone and she's with Vodafone, take a look at the Vodafone Simply handsets. Seems like they should be perfect for her.

No camera though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

if someone told you that the build quality and materials of the motorola v3 are outstanding, that person does not like you very much

Too true. It's a horrible handset for anything. Voice, text, pictures, games etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

to be serious, the v3 is a terrible phone. most of them go faulty, they are slow to respond to commands and it has very little memory for photos. the buttons arent sensitive to touch, you have to push them and after a few weeks they generally wont respond to that either because it will have gone faulty. there are far better phones out there, like the 6230i, the k750 etc. the cheapest phone with a good camera is the sagem myx6-2 on meteor. the sony ericsson k700i is generally accepted to be the best phone under 200 but i think the myx6-2 is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Wow!

Thanks folks, I was nearly buying one of these and decided to wait to hear what fellow boardsies think first :)

Saved me a bunch of trouble, guess I'll go looking for k700/750 instead!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Edited becasue of redundant comment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

big price diff between the 700 and 750, the 700 sounds like the right option, the 750 is a powerhouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

netman wrote:
    I think Motorola V3 looks very promising, I've heard that the build quality and the materials used are outstanding and I'd like to hear more. Is this true?

Whoever told you this is a liar. Avoid the v3 like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't get a V3. It's slow to respond and poor craftsmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Romero

Disagree here if your buying it for your wife she'll like it as its the best looking phone out there, I bought one recently and very happy with it

Rgds

Romero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Got the missus a V3 last October and she wants rid of it. Hates it in fact.
    Crap, confusing menus, crap camera, crap memory, the list goes on.
    On the plus side it does look good though.
    I better shut up now cause I'll be trying to sell it shortly.:v:
    I'm a Nokia man myself. Had loads of the and never had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

Netman
    What phone did you buy in the end, if you have purchased already?
    I am in need of a new phone myself and your wife's requirements are same as mine, esp re battery life.
    Would be very grateful for any feedback.

Thanks in advance
    Tobi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I wanted a tough basic phone and something very small. Also I wanted a flip as every nokia I ever had always unlocked in my pocket. So I got a V3 6 months ago and I've had no problems. I think the keyboard is great. Lack of features isn't a problem for me. The main problem is that is slow to text, and the adaptive T9 dictionary is dire. But after 6 months though I've got used to it. If I was doing a lot of texting and taking photos I'd hate it. But I don't. As a basic phone its fine and I love the shortcuts and how you can rearrange the menus to suit yourself. Charges from a USB cable and I find that handy.

However its very different from a Nokia and if thats all you've ever used then I'd advise against getting it. Anyone that used other brands, especially previous Motorolas won't have a problem. Girl in work has one aswell and she loves it. I wouldn't go that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Tobi2 wrote:
    Netman
    What phone did you buy in the end, if you have purchased already?
    I am in need of a new phone myself and your wife's requirements are same as mine, esp re battery life.
    Would be very grateful for any feedback.

Thanks in advance
    Tobi

I didn't get one yet, but my choice has been narrowed to K700 or K750 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I used to hate my v3, now I love it! battery used to last a day and ahlf when I sent like 200 texts a day, now I send about 50 a day and it lasts about 3 days. I'm used to it now, and I think it's great! It takes one hell of a beating in fairness to it! I've dropped mine a number of times on drunken nights out and its still in great nick considering. I'd recommend either that or say a 6630, they're brilliant function wise and the battery lasts ages! (~a 7 day week sometimes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

the Nokia 6101 is a great simple little flip phone. Looks nice, and no glitches.

Advertisement