Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Have LOS, 2Kms but no signal!!!

• 08-02-2006 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Was visited by installers yesterday, they had verified LOS in the past (with binoculars from the roof, base wasn't active to check the signal at that time). We're about 2Km from the base, but yesterday the installer couldn't get any signal!

Any ideas anyone?

It's our last hope.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

there could be line of sight but not necessarily enough to get an uplink and a downlink, they could always make the aerial higher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

If its IBB, run, run as quick as you can away from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Sounds like the mast is facing the wrong way, you know they don't have 360 degree coverage. Its more like 279 or something, it happened to me to in moycullen galway. But we got a broadband scheme going which got a company to add another hop to the IBB mast to get us coverage.
    I'm on IBB network and have no trouble, sux for games though, loss+choke being a factor, same for all crappy irish isps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Hmm, hadn't thought of the 360 degree coverage, we may be just outside that alright.

I know the installer got a signal at the road in front of our house so maybe we're barely on the edge of coverage.

It's digiweb in Kilminchy, Portlaoise is the base station, and two of our neighbours are also interested in subscribing, I wonder would they twiddle the mast around a little bit!!!!

Are there higher gain antenna that can be used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Ruffty^ wrote:
    Sounds like the mast is facing the wrong way, you know they don't have 360 degree coverage. Its more like 279 or something, it happened to me to in moycullen galway. But we got a broadband scheme going which got a company to add another hop to the IBB mast to get us coverage.
    I'm on IBB network and have no trouble, sux for games though, loss+choke being a factor, same for all crappy irish isps.

Correction... they pretty much all work quite well for games...IBB is the odd one out here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

phew, its not IBB you lucky lad. Send a PM to Chaz who would know all about Digiweb coverage and do send a detailed map ref , (Ireland is gridded by the ordanance survey in the manner T123 123 or H654 654 ) its possible that a 2 minute spanner job on the mast could bring you within coverage but Chaz would know what to do and what could be done . If your neighbours want it give their grid refs as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Are there trees or cranes between you and the mast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I don't think there are any masts or cranes. But I haven't been on the roof to verify. Maybe I'll have to head up there at the weekend.

Advertisement