Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Roads and Streets

Options
  • 08-02-2006 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any favourite horrors for driving/cycling or crossing on foot?

My bugbear is the state of junctions. Is there one that is flat and smooth? The worst must be where the Upper Yellow meets the Lower, its just a patchwork of sunken manhole covers, raised/sunked filed in areas from pipe works etc. I hate it.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

What drives me made when driving is the amount of people who walk out in front of a car and not necessarily a junction but will then turn their head in the opposite direction as if to say "If I don't see them they are not there" and stroll away as if nothing is wrong.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Roanmore wrote:
    What drives me made when driving is the amount of people who walk out in front of a car and not necessarily a junction but will then turn their head in the opposite direction as if to say "If I don't see them they are not there" and stroll away as if nothing is wrong.:rolleyes:

Ya that happens a lot around by the Cinema. Group of girls walked out in front of a Motor Bike the other day, got beeped of the road anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mike65 wrote:

My bugbear is the state of junctions. Is there one that is flat and smooth? The worst must be where the Upper Yellow meets the Lower, its just a patchwork of sunken manhole covers, raised/sunked filed in areas from pipe works etc. I hate it.

Mike.

I hate the big cobels around the Munster Express and Doleys Hotel Area. A bitch to walk on I think :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I absolutely hate driving into down from the back of the estate , coming down the cleaboy think the lower yellow road its called , the part where you come to a set of traffic lights , think theres a dry cleaners in on your left at the lights , head over staright then to bring you into Ballybricken , first of all the road is an F ìng disgrace and I usually get people walking out in front of me whenever I drive along that way :rolleyes:

What annoys me most though is cars parking up on footpaths , what the hell is the deal with some people in this town thinking oh F*uck those pedestrians Ill just park on the footpath and they can put theirselves at danger by walking out on the street around my car which just happens to be illegally parked:rolleyes: Seems to happen a lot on johns street , one day these people will see a very angry oldyellar walking on top of their car to get past just to prove a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

oldyellar wrote:
    one day these people will see a very angry oldyellar walking on top of their car to get past just to prove a point.

Ya know its perfectly legal to do that as long as you dont damage the car !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

THe roundabout outside the railway station, people always pulling into the yellow square blocking up the place, the roundabout outside ardkeen hospital is just as bad. Pedestrians are dangerous, they just walk out in front of me, especially on the quay. Have had moments where i would like to go all Carmageddon on pedestrians, but i dont think my insurance would cover that......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

angry_fox wrote:
    THe roundabout outside the railway station, people always pulling into the yellow square blocking up the place, the roundabout outside ardkeen hospital is just as bad. Pedestrians are dangerous, they just walk out in front of me, especially on the quay. Have had moments where i would like to go all Carmageddon on pedestrians, but i dont think my insurance would cover that......

It would take you to go Carmageddon on a serious note though I saw a tourist walking across the road at the clock tower on the quay one Sunday and he got slapped off the bonnet of a car. Luckly he got up and started shouting at hte very young driver untill it was pointed out to him that the little green man was in fact a little red man when he started walking. Needless to say he shut up pretty quick and hobbled off without saying sorry.

EDIT: That area at the junction of dunnes stores and awear is the worst I usually find I'm sitting in my car reving the engine at a grenn light just so those idiots crossing the road realise that I've got the right of way. I'll join you in Carmageddon John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

What about Ballybricken ? You.re taking your life into your hands trying to cross there , and as for trying to get out of a parking space there forget it .

meldrew wrote:
    What about Ballybricken ? You.re taking your life into your hands trying to cross there , and as for trying to get out of a parking space there forget it .
    `

Think ballybricken is deadly for taxi drivers, they always have the right of way there........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TramoreTom

come out to tramore they have recently put not 1 not 2 but 3 pedestrian crossings at the junction where the old waterford road meets main street for those that dont know the area its around o neills pub and londis and xtravision.
    these crossings are all right on the junctions and on corners so only a matter of time before someone thinks because its a pedestrian crossing they dont need to watch out for traffic anymore and end up stepping out without looking while the driver is concentrating on making the turn especially dangerous when your coming up main street to go left onto priest road someone will definitly get hit there. should have had the crossings at least 10 metres away from the junctions

• Advertisement

There adding one at the end of Galways Hill soon.

That new roundabout up by Clarinwood is a bitch. They made it way to tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TramoreTom

Sully04 wrote:
    There adding one at the end of Galways Hill soon.

That new roundabout up by Clarinwood is a bitch. They made it way to tight.

The end of galways hill wont be too bad at least anyone turning from main street to go up galways hill has to stop at the stop sign so they would spot somone stepping out on the crossing unlike going left onto priest road coming up main street.
    As for the roundabout think they made it like that to slow people down too cant be that tight if the buses can get around it, it will be ok once they tidy up the mess around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

No no...Mothers. Pushing prams out on the road in front of them so drivers will stop. That really p*sses me off...Other than that, Parnell St is terrible for people randomly running accross it.

I'd agree with the poster about the train station too - an unbelievable amount of people leave through the entrance.

And actually...Add parking anywhere on the quays to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I've been to the gauntlet that is ballybricken wow that was an experience. What i really hate is when the car infront DOESN'T BLOODY INDICATE I'd like to a mind reader but I'm not please indicate you've all got them in your cars oh and by the way when somebody is standing at a ped crossing and I stop to let them cross please don't blow me off the road

Actually a really bad place is down by johnnie walkers, saw a bus trying to get through there this evening, with cars parked on both sides of the road it was a miracle he got through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

My own personal fear is where pedestrianised areas meet roads (end of Alexander Street and Patrick Street). Pedestrians just walk straight off, because there is no defined road/path boundary.

Highly dangerous. You should either pedestrainise somewhere entirely or not. Only a matter of time before a fatality occurs.

Advertisement