Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best bank to go with..

Options
  • 08-02-2006 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

hope this is the right place to be. A friend has moved over from the UK and is wondering where is the best bank to open up a current account with? i.e. which banks offer the best rates/ options? She doesn't need a huge overdraft, and credit card interest rates aren't a huge issue (she's v good with her dosh, usually has it paid off every month), so its really just a question of which one has the lowest charges and is easiest to bank with?

(I have a student a/c with AIB so haven't a clue about that kind of thing :o )

Thanks in advance!!

edit: internet bankin availability would be a big plus...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I find AIB to be the best bank, I've had no hassle with them in since joining them 3 years ago.

I've heard BOI & PTSB are turd, so IMO AIB are probably the place to go with.

She could also try some of the new online banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm with boi & have no complaints about their current account service. I have my credit card with them too, but always pay at the end of the month, so not sure about rates. They have easy to use online banking & good 24 hour telephone backup when needed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

g'em wrote:
    Hi all,

which one has the lowest charges and is easiest to bank with?
    I switched from BOI to National Irish Bank a couple of years ago, got sick of paying charges for every transastion. NIB are good to deal with, I find them much friendlier than BOI. They have fewer branches so make sure there's one nearby if you plan to be using the branch office, I would only go maybe every 2 months.

Their internet banking is way better than BOI's, e.g. you can add payee's accounts yourself without having to ring the bank and I find it v. easy to use.

There are no charges for any transactions, even when using another bank's ATMs. The catch is you need to keep the account in credit, even if only 1 euro. There is an overdraft facility but they will charge you if you use it.

I believe BOI now offer a free banking account, don't know all the details though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

im with AIB for the last 8 years. In fairness they are great.
    really helpful. good service and professional.
    went in to set up a switcher account with permanent tsb last week for the simple reason that they have less bank charges.
    However, they are a disaster.while i was waiting to be served, the guy in front of me was just collecting a cheque for a loan when he noticed they had botched up the length of loan term as well as the interests rates on the loan.
    when i got served (after about 15 phone calls to setup the appointment),had some things missing that they need (which is fine) so didnt setup account,but overall i get the impression that they are not very professional.
    FergusF wrote:
    I switched from BOI to National Irish Bank a couple of years ago, got sick of paying charges for every transastion. NIB are good to deal with, I find them much friendlier than BOI. They have fewer branches so make sure there's one nearby if you plan to be using the branch office, I would only go maybe every 2 months.

Their internet banking is way better than BOI's, e.g. you can add payee's accounts yourself without having to ring the bank and I find it v. easy to use.

There are no charges for any transactions, even when using another bank's ATMs. The catch is you need to keep the account in credit, even if only 1 euro. There is an overdraft facility but they will charge you if you use it.

I believe BOI now offer a free banking account, don't know all the details though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

MrJones wrote:
    but overall i get the impression that they are not very professional.

I can assure you as an AIB customer, I get that impression from AIB all the time.

I would change to ptsb but AIB are being obnoxious re SSIA payments so I have put off the switch for another year.

As a PTSB mortgage holder, I cannot recommend them highly enough. They got everything sorted very very efficiently and the free banking account is great.

Go with the PTSB. Unless you like giving banks €10 - €15 + per quarter..

L.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

nereid wrote:
    As a PTSB mortgage holder, I cannot recommend them highly enough..
    Have you considered the EBS switcher mortgage?

democrates wrote:
    Have you considered the EBS switcher mortgage?

I would, but I am not going to for a while, having Fixed the current one.

Mortgages have to be considered in depth because of the size and term. 3.xxx% over 25 years adds up. I am weary of short term "free" incentives/introductoy offers, without going through the long term implications and costings for doing so.

For day to day banking, though I don't think I would go to the EBS.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

ya could be right. see im on a graduate account with aib still
    so im freewheelin for the time being anyway.
    im opening up a PTSB because of the free charges but also so that i can gradually move to them.
    initially i get that impression about PTSB. i might give them a go though-have nothing to lose.
    nereid wrote:
    I can assure you as an AIB customer, I get that impression from AIB all the time.

I would change to ptsb but AIB are being obnoxious re SSIA payments so I have put off the switch for another year.

As a PTSB mortgage holder, I cannot recommend them highly enough. They got everything sorted very very efficiently and the free banking account is great.

Go with the PTSB. Unless you like giving banks €10 - €15 + per quarter..

L.

MrJones wrote:
    see im on a graduate account with aib still so im freewheelin for the time being anyway.

Well, I was also on that type of account (for a couple of extra years too mind), and then was suddenly (well to me anyway) given a quarterly bill. I went in and queried it and the lady said that this was how they operated. I told her I would take my custom elsewhere as some other banks were not charging for the services that AIB were charging me for. She didn't seem to care and/or AIB don't seem to want my money. Oh well, tis their loss as far as I am concerned.

Tip: get out before your "graduate" account wears off and you happen to be tied into them more.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Im ashamed to say that Im still banking with AIB and Im really annoyed that I still haven't switched.

Customer Service:
    Dreadful, absolutely dreadful with AIB - and it doesn't matter how much you have in your account as I have had high five figure sums in my account and they still are awful at customer service. Their attitude is a disgrace.

Charges:
    Their charges are unbelievable, I incurr charges of €40 a quarter for laser/direct debt/withdrawals. Remember that works out at €160 a year for taking out your own money!!!

After writing this down, I think Im off to change my bank.

Yes, Im foolish for staying with them for so long - but will try and motivate myself to change.

• Advertisement

Maxwell wrote:
    I incurr charges of €40 a quarter...

Oh dear! Jeez! and I was sickened when the €9.50 bill came through my letterbox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Yep, Im sick every time I see it aswell

My wife's love of the laser card is a nightmare!

Advertisement