Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few Quran related questions...

• 08-02-2006 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I started reading the Quran a while back and just finished overall it was an excellent read and very enjoyable however a few things puzzled me.

The copy I have is my great grandfathers and is very old and I noted upon comparing it with several more recent copies that the order of the passages varies. Is there a correct order in which the passages should be read? Or a chronological order in which they were written?

I was also wondering about some of the Arabic letter that head some of the passages. Is there a meaning to them??

(I know I could go look it up but it's hard to have a stimulating conversation with an encyclopaedia.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

From what I've read, the chronological order of their writing has not been verified at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

The Gnome wrote:

Is there a correct order in which the passages should be read? Or a chronological order in which they were written?

they have a chronological i which each was reveald, Some Quraan's display that info and some dont. but you can read it as it is, it's fine.

I was also wondering about some of the Arabic letter that head some of the passages. Is there a meaning to them??[/QUOTE]

No one knows the meaning of these letters,
    like in Maryam "HA Ya ayin saad"
    however I love the sound of it. check this link to hear it, it owuld be good to have the chapter infront of you so you can get a feel of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Gnome, did you find it difficult to read/understand? Did you have to spend a lot of time looking the meaning of passages you didn't understand. Just asking cos I am thinking of reading it soon.

Advertisement