Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Time Insurer have to do Advanced Driving Course

Options
  • 08-02-2006 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Have got a quote from Britton insurance of 750 Euro , I am a first time insurer, but this is on condition I sit an advanced Driving Course, I have to put 250 Euro up-front for course, but will get this back if I pass.

At end of course, I will sit a written exam. The next best quote is 1260 euro, so I will have to do this course.

Has anyone any experience of this, any more information that could help me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

is it "Ignition"??? I know some other insurance companies will give a reduction for ignition,

Depends on your details and the car, maybe €1260 is a good quote, i know it definately would be 4 me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

what age are you? That quote of 1260 would be brilliant for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

Apologies Lads,

Am 36 years old, Full Drivers Licence,in Dublin City , have a Toyota Corolla 1.3 and its third party only ...

Don,t know name , will find out ....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

celt2005 wrote:
    I am a first time insurer,
    I doubt that you are an insurer! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Do the course, I done the ignition years ago, handy enough. They like to think your doing the course cause you want to be a better pilot, not because you want cheap insurance, suppose they like to think they're saving lives (which they probably are). You're about 36% less likely to have an accident if you complete the course. It's a good idea IMO.

• Advertisement

I,m workin, on it !!!!! , f****n, money for old rope .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah do the trst its simple i passed it.you get a discount for i think 5 years with ignition test but if u do advance driving test i heard its 30% for life but thats really hard to do.

does anyone have any info on advance driving test as i would like to do it.

Alright,

Yeah, looks like I have to do the Institute of Advanced Motorists test.

http://www.irishadvancedmotorists.ie/

Have been told it will take 09:30 - 17:00, and will have a practical accessment, and a written test....

Apologies,

The arsehole I was dealin, with in Britton Insurance was wrong, it is ignition ....

http://hibernian.netsource.ie/insurance/ignition.asp

****in, clown had,nt a clue, brainless bitch !!!

Has anybody done this, if so, whats the story !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Not quite, the ignition scheme is a joint ventre from the IAM and Hibernian. It just covers the basics of the IAM test, and is much easier.

Im pretty sure theres more info on the MIJAG forum.

Souper,

Where is MIJAG Forum ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

celt2005 wrote:
    Alright,

Yeah, looks like I have to do the Institute of Advanced Motorists test.

http://www.irishadvancedmotorists.ie/

Have been told it will take 09:30 - 17:00, and will have a practical accessment, and a written test....

Apologies,

The arsehole I was dealin, with in Britton Insurance was wrong, it is ignition ....

http://hibernian.netsource.ie/insurance/ignition.asp

Has anybody done this, if so, whats the story !!!!!

I done the ignition two years ago and i can honestly tell you it was a peice of p*ss- no hassle what-so-ever. First half of day is spent talking about hazzards on the road, dangerous driving...break for dinner (free :D )second half is spent on the road- you drive then the instructor points out your faults then does a example drive- then you drive again and get marked on it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Celt2005 - I did the IAM test a few years ago. When I did it, it involved a morning of training and the written & practical tests the following week. It's not difficult if you put your mind to it. You'll need the UK police drivers handbook, it's called Roadcraft. Absorb that and you won't have any problems.

By the way, all insurance issues aside, I personally found that the course to be excellent. I enjoy driving much more since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

If you fail - does your quote go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As in up to more than if you had never tried? I'd hardly think so. By the way, although Hibernian gave me a 30% discount for the IAM license, FBD are still cheaper for me. They seem to be really competitive at the moment, it might be worth giving them a call.

Advertisement