Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many subjects?

Options
  • 08-02-2006 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Just a-wondering, how many subjects do ye all do?
    higher or ordinary level?
    find the workload tough?
    dropped any subjects??

im doing 8 - 7 higher, and ordinary maths, and im findin the work grand really.

how many subjects do you do? 42 votes

0% 0 votes
    0% 0 votes
    4% 2 votes
    45% 19 votes
    47% 20 votes
    other
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i said 8 but i'm actually doing 9 if you include LCVP...all higher except for maths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

I'm doing 8 including LCVP. Ordinary Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Im doing 7, all honors cept maths!
    Why are so many of ye doin 8? Is that not adding unnecessary work on ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

im doing 7 subjects, 2 ordinary, german and irish. though i may move up to honours german seeing how my summer exam goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

im doin 7, all honours only maths.

the work is too easy, ive passed all my pre's without doing a tap. the courses should be more challenging imo, they're too easy to bluff - geography and business prime examples.

maths is a joke, id do higher only i dont see the point of it, what a waste of time and a subject.

• Advertisement

well smemon you might as well give honours a try you may be able to get more points out of it than doing ordinary, sure if it doesnt work out you can always drop back down to ordinary. yeah your right about geography it is easy. im also doing physics and economics. economics is a bit tough imo, there is just so much information there to learn and the graphs in micro do my head in! i cannot believe i picked physics i am seriously struggling in that subject :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

smemon wrote:
    im doin 7, all honours only maths.

the work is too easy, ive passed all my pre's without doing a tap. the courses should be more challenging imo, they're too easy to bluff - geography and business prime examples.

maths is a joke, id do higher only i dont see the point of it, what a waste of time and a subject.

making statements like that, youre such an easy target to shout abuse at, but im gonna resist.... :rolleyes:

I do 8.. cos... i dunno. Obviosuly eng/irish/maths/french, and then i chose a subject from each of the 4 groups, and just kept them all up (music/physics/geog/history).
    Plus this way I'll get slightly better points than i would have had i only done 7, cos I probably wont be using my French, co si kinda suck at that, but lov ethe teacher, so i stayed in the class... :o

i dont do french, predicted in 3rd year it would be harder at LC level than geography so i picked geography. wise decision i must say as most of the scool is doing ordinary french or will be after the pre's ;)

i just call it as it is. it is easy, i like to play it down cuz you guy's take it so seriously ie 8/9 subjects when you only need to do 7-unnecessary work. i know from being on here in previous years, people are disappointed when they get 500+ points, i don't like that attitude.

ill be happy with getting around the mid 300's. people may think thats ****e but all i can say is fúk you! lol

ill be happy with getting around the mid 300's. people may think thats ****e but all i can say is fúk you! lol

its not sh!te, thats about average or above it. thats the spirit.
    i want 485points, thats my aim. i'll get about 380 in the pre's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

smemon wrote:
    i dont do french, predicted in 3rd year it would be harder at LC level than geography so i picked geography. wise decision i must say as most of the scool is doing ordinary french or will be after the pre's ;)

i just call it as it is. it is easy, i like to play it down cuz you guy's take it so seriously ie 8/9 subjects when you only need to do 7-unnecessary work. i know from being on here in previous years, people are disappointed when they get 500+ points, i don't like that attitude.

im not aiming to get points purely so i can walk around saying saying "I GOT Xamount OF POINTS!"

maybe... JUST MAYBE... some people need the points for the college course they want???

If you coudl see me, i do not take the whole thing as serious as most people.. but im still aiming relatively high... Yeah, i could go and sit the exams without studying anymore, and yeah, i'd pass them all i'd say..
    but i dont want to just "pass them"...

And you're wrong btw, french is easier than geography - believe me- i do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

7, 2 pass maths, and irish. aint looking forward to the LC though, but cant wait to finish school!! so if i try and study as much as possible, ill be ok *hopes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

7 and LCVP, All higher.

(Maths, Irish, English, TD, Physics, Biology and French(because of UCDs 3 language rule))

im hoping to do computer engineering which is about 330 points i think, not 100% sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

At the moment I am doing 7 subjects, 5 higher (Accounting, Spanish, English, Biology, Geography), and 2 ordinary (Maths and Irish) It's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cdak68

i do 7, all higher. I'll probably drop down to pass maths though, considering I almost certainly won't be counting it points-wise so all I need to do is pass it. I find that I put in twice the work in it for about half as good results as the rest of my subects, so it really isn't worth it.

btw, why is everyone doing the lcvp out of interest? I didn't even know what that meant until I looked it up...

Easy, nothing to lose by doing it, and a potential 70 extra points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Aye, but it's only in place of another subject, and apparently tough to get the 70.. I dunno, not doing it and all.

I do 8 subjects, all higher. English, Irish, Maths, German, Chemistry, Biology and Physics at school, Business outside of it (ie learning it by myself).

Aoibheann Brady: Um...where did you hear that? The only subjects im doing LCVP instead of are SPHE and computers

Raphael wrote:
    Aoibheann Brady: Um...where did you hear that? The only subjects im doing LCVP instead of are SPHE and computers

Oh, I get my full name quoted then? :p

Nah, I mean, for points, you can't take it as a seventh points subject, only one of your six. If you need over 570, it's completely pointless.. :(

• Advertisement

The majority of people don't

Raphael wrote:
    The majority of people don't

I know.. but isn't getting the 70 tough at any rate? This is just what I've heard from LCVP students, but they have a ****e teacher, so yeah...

*shrug* The portfolio is basic enough, and if you do it off the marking scheme you can do well. From what we've done on it so far, the exam seems easy too. And it's not on at the same time as the LC, so you can give it your full attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cdak68

Excuse my ignorance, but i really know nothing about the LCVP. So is it actually taught in your schools as a subject, or do you do it on your own, or what? It's certainly never even been mentioned in our school.

*excuses your ignorance*

It's taught in my school, while the rest of the tear have SPHE classes and computers classes, we have LCVP classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

^It's not in my school anyway.

I'm doing 8, all H except maths. I took up music last year, excellent subject.

accept my ignorance but someone explain to me why people do 8 or more subjects?

theres no need. you only get marked on 6. no point in doin 8 when you can just study 6 and give them more attention and get better results. by doing 8 you just look desperate for points when you probably doint need them cuz anyone needing average points aint gonna study extra subjects for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭blahblah1234

I'm doing 9 subjects, 8 at school. although Geography takes place at same time as French and I do both....the double french class i should have goes toward geography. The ninth subject which Im studying on my own is Economics.

Higher Level Subjects - Maths, English, Business Studies, Economics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography.

Hoping to do Higher French but most likely do Ordinary.

Ordinary Level - Irish

Smemon, the reason why I'm doing more than 6 is because I want 6 higher level B+ so I want that guaranteed, I don't know if I'll pass my mocks etc,, so it will increase my chances because I study hard.

I'm hoping to get around 470+ in my exams, hopefully 500+. Doing them subjects shouldn't and so far hasn't been a bother so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

smemon wrote:
    accept my ignorance but someone explain to me why people do 8 or more subjects?

theres no need. you only get marked on 6. no point in doin 8 when you can just study 6 and give them more attention and get better results. by doing 8 you just look desperate for points when you probably doint need them cuz anyone needing average points aint gonna study extra subjects for no reason.
    For me, I don't really know. I guess it's because French or Irish could go wrong for me in the actual leaving, then I'll have other subjects like business, art and music, maybe history aswell to back up on. A safety net really, and I don't want to drop the subjects I'm good at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Advertisement