Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boots?

Options
  • 08-02-2006 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

which would be your choice meindel,,,han-wag??

looking for a leather boot goretex would be used very often

sugestions:o

which boot 8 votes

meindel
    0% 0 votes
    han-wag
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I find my Hanwag special forces great, well cushioned, supportive, waterproof etc. Vibram Foura sole unit is well proven and durable, would have no probs recommending hanwags or lowas to anyone. Meindle are good but not good enough to warrant the price difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Depends on your feet. I was given a present of Meindl boots by three people who used them themselves and found them comfortable, and they crippled me. I swapped them for Salomon, which are made on a narrow-heeled last, and have had these for five years of happy walking.

Try out a few pairs, see what suits.

Remember, though, that the first few months of walking in new boots (weekend walks each month, I mean, not walking every day in them!) are likely to be kind of pinchy. One useful trick is to loosen off the laces at the toe end of the boots a bit at first, until they take the shape of your foot.

Oh, and if you're buying boots for Ireland, get good leather ones. Cloth ones are fine for countries that don't have bogs. We do. Indeed, gaiters are handy, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Meindl Army pro.

I've spent 3 days in a waterlogged trench with them.

Have hiked up mountains across roads and through rivers and bogs, often on the same day, carrying large bergen and light machine guns or assault rifles.

Have been in both freezing temperatures and hot as hell days.

And through all this, these boots have never let me down, they are truly one of the best types of hiking boots you can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I would buy which ever pair fits you best, all modern hiking boots are good. Don't limit yourself to one or two brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Agreed. It depends on what fits you best. FWIW a number of friends who have Meindls have had some quite bad experiences with the quality of them recently, specifically with the interface between the rubber rand and the leather. Seems the knives they use to cut off the excess rubber are nicking the leather slightly and causing it to split. I know one person who's gone through 3 pairs in one year :eek:

Personally I rate Hanwag and Lowa, both German boots. BTW did you know they're brothers? HANs WAGner, and LOthar WAgner, apparently they had a bust up and set up separate companies, both making boots!

There are also some nice Italian boots out there e.g. Zamberlan, and Scarpa, but my feet don't seem to fit them well, and they're not readily available here for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

i have four pairs of Meindl boots, all bought for different jobs. I have one pair for at least 7 years, and they are still going strong. I have never had any problems with their build quality.

I think any boot made with decent materials will serve you well, as long as they fit correctly and you maintain them properly.

i've just stuck with Meindl over the years because I like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Alun wrote:
    Agreed. It depends on what fits you best. FWIW a number of friends who have Meindls have had some quite bad experiences with the quality of them recently, specifically with the interface between the rubber rand and the leather. Seems the knives they use to cut off the excess rubber are nicking the leather slightly and causing it to split. I know one person who's gone through 3 pairs in one year :eek:

Personally I rate Hanwag and Lowa, both German boots. BTW did you know they're brothers? HANs WAGner, and LOthar WAgner, apparently they had a bust up and set up separate companies, both making boots!

There are also some nice Italian boots out there e.g. Zamberlan, and Scarpa, but my feet don't seem to fit them well, and they're not readily available here for some reason.

Don't forget Asolo, but they're quite narrow!

The brothers splitting theme seems quite a common thing in Germany - Leki and Lekisport trekking and ski poles emerged from a similar split between brothers!

Bam Bam - army gores may be a little bit too high for what this guy wants them for, but your right - they are still great boots. Hanwag, do a combat boot, the Special Force, - I've a pair and they're great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

just a point of info on german bros Aldi and Lidle are bros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I've already mentioned my preference for Meindl boots on another thread. But I'd second other recommendations here - Mainly based on a proper fitting by a professional. I know the G.O. shop can do this and I've had good experiences each time I've used this service.

I've also recently bought Salomon (sp?) snow boots for a break in the alps (They were perfect for the task at hand). Great fit and good build quality but I'm not a fan of their hiking boots in general - I don't like the cut patterns for their leather boots and the lightweights are, well, just a bit too lightweight all round for my liking. Zamberlan on the other hand are absolutely superb boots - Very expensive and difficult to find but Field and Trek supply them mail order and the G.O. will retro-fit them with custom insoles if you're within a half/full size of your ultimate requirement.

Asolo are a very new brand in the Irish market-place but come very highly recommended by many of my experienced mountaineering friends. I'll probably check them out late this year or early next year when my current set of Meindl boots are due for replacement.

Trail magazine did a great review of 3 and 4 season boots a few months back. If you'd like, PM me with your email address and I'll mail you a scan. If that's not okay Phil, let me know and I'll offer to post the original magazine instead.

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wazza

I'm afraid Brasheer wins for me. My first pair of boots were brasher and having tried Salomon and Meindl since, I've gone back to Brasher. Maybe it's because they were my first pair, but I reckon it's because they are the most comfortable on the market.

• Advertisement

Wazza wrote:
    I'm afraid Brasheer wins for me. My first pair of boots were brasher and having tried Salomon and Meindl since, I've gone back to Brasher. Maybe it's because they were my first pair, but I reckon it's because they are the most comfortable on the market.
    The most comfortable on the market for you, maybe. Remember, feet come in all shapes and sizes, and just because your feet suit Brasher boots well, doesn't mean they suit everybody.

I tried a few pairs recently and found them unbearable. I think it had to do with the way the lacing starts relatively high up, and the unlaced part of the boot that covers the toes and the end of the foot was just too narrow and tight for my feet. YMMV, as they say in the USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

ok i got a pair of zamberians for the lowe alpine place in killarney seem good so far full streched leather goretex eyes that swivil?
    something about heather and have a 2 year guarentee (not something i usualy get with boots)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've had Meindl boots for about 7 years now. Granted I dont use them very often but they are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Just received my first pair of hiking boots for a trek i'm doing in July, Meindl Air Rev 2. I'm wearing them now, they're gonna take a lot of breaking in but i'm happy thus far!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

I have been reading this post looking for a pair of hiking boots. I have borrowed a pair of my brother's Lowas and find them very comfortable, but a little bit small for me with thick socks. He bought his in the states.

Are there any stockists in Ireland?

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Meindls all the way, take a while to break in though! I've mine 4 years now and they look and feel new;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

So, OP, if you haven't reached a decision in the two years since you last posted on boards, it looks like the consensus forming is for Meindl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Brashers

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

i have been wearing the han wag special forces boot for two years now. and i wear them every day. it is time to replace the outsole, but apart from that they are still in great nick. it is a great boot, with good leather.

with boots, first look at purpose. the boot i have is a patrol boot. similar to the lowa forces boot (in fact looking at them side to side, they could well have come from the same factory) it is not really a "hill walking" boot. it is designed to carry more weight than a brasher boot.
    regards the han wags being wide in the heel; i totally agree. i have a narrow heel. i got an insole called "superfeet" that has a plastic shim in the heel which stops your heel from sliding around so much, thus reducing blisters and giving a more positive grip. the downside to this is, the boots cost 250 euro, and the insoles cost 50 euro. that is a lot of money.
    tbh, figure out what you will use a boot for, what your foot type is, and then use that info to match to a boot. day walkers carrying 5-10kgs will have very different needs to multi-day expedition walkers carrying 40+kg's over extended periods. and yes, full leather does give a better boot i think, but even leather needs regular care if you do not want bog-acidy stuff eating away your stitching. also, a good idea would be sure to have blister plasters in your first aid kit. cos no matter how good the boot, enough walking will cause blisters.

maybe a compiled list of boot-buying and maintinance guidelines would be an idea at some stage? after all, it is a regularly asked question.

also, a good idea would be sure to have blister plasters in your first aid kit. cos no matter how good the boot, enough walking will cause blisters.
    I don't tend to use boots very much any more; nearly always prefer trail runners, although I'd only be carrying up to ~13kg of kit, and frequently none, and tend to walk with poles which provide a lot of stability.

While what you say about blisters might be true in very extreme circumstances, in general I tend to regard blisters as an avoidable occurrence; something is wrong with my footwear, or socks, or my feet aren't conditioned enough for the distance, or I failed to deal with problems proactive as I walked. I think they shouldn't really be an issue with good planning.

• Advertisement

also, a good idea would be sure to have blister plasters in your first aid kit. cos no matter how good the boot, enough walking will cause blisters.
    I have to disagree with you there. I've regularly been on walking tours (mainly LDP's in England) varying from 180 to over 300km between 10 and 14 days walking and not had a single blister or anything remotely like it, ever.

I have HanWag boots (Lima GTX) too and love them .. in fact I'm now on my second pair. They're proving difficult if not impossible to find in Ireland now unfortunately, so I bought my last pair over the Internet (for €60 less than I paid for my first pair here!).

Alun wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you there. I've regularly been on walking tours (mainly LDP's in England) varying from 180 to over 300km between 10 and 14 days walking and not had a single blister or anything remotely like it, ever.

you are one lucky sun of a gun then so and i am envyous.; but you do realise this will have more to do with your foot than your footwear? you can put someone else in the very same boot doing the same walk and they will blister. and everyone will blister eventually. if in doubt, give the legendery fan dance a look. supposedly everyones feet end up in **** doing that, and they have their choice of any boot they like. try doubling the weight you are carrying or something, but there is a limit somewhere of what your feet can take friction-wise. fur me the limit is low. :( i still stand by my suggestion of blister plasters in the kit.
    ...just in case, and if not for yourself there will always be someone ......"do your feet hurt dear friend? then i will trade you one plaster for you doing all the cooking on this trip!!!! mwahahahah!!!! :D and so on. lol

I'm not sure of that. I've certainly had boots in the past that have caused me blisters. In fact I recently bought a pair of Scarpa boots as an emergency stop-gap while I was waiting for my new HanWags to arrive from Germany. One short-ish walk in the Wicklow Mountains and both my heels were in shreds, so my feet aren't somehow magically immune fom blistering, believe me.

well then i am glad you have found a boot that does what you need it to. i still get the occasional tender heel with my hanwags, and they are miles better than anything else i have used. just goes to show, there is no "perfect" anything, except for you.

well then i am glad you have found a boot that does what you need it to. i still get the occasional tender heel with my hanwags, and they are miles better than anything else i have used. just goes to show, there is no "perfect" anything, except for you.
    Over what length of walk?
    If it's anything under 50k, and you are walking regularly (which I presume you are from all the bushcraft posts etc) then you might want to look at changing your boots/socks.
    Genuinely, unless your carrying massive amounts of kit, or walking really long distances, reasonably conditioned feet shouldn't be giving you blisters; for instance, I've done 60/70k a good few times, in wet conditions, wicklow bog, and not had blisters... maybe try different pairs of boots/socks in future?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It's been several years since I've bought boots and I'm after a new pair. Was in the Great Outdoors yesterday and the guy said your ankle should be firmly anchored, your toes should be about half an inch from the tip or else they could tear through the goretex. He pointed to a cluster of fabric boots on the shelve, said they'd pretty much do the job for anywhere in Ireland. Didn't really discuss the leather section. Hmm.

Was there a question in there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oops yeah...what's the advantage with leather, stiffness? Yer man seemed to be suggesting that I avoid it...that it's excessive for the Irish landscape. On previous occasions in that shop they more or less avoided talking about fabric so I'm not sure who to believe.

Well, okay, hope I don't get lynched for this next bit. You see, people from different backgrounds and countries will have a different take on things. In my experience (and I KNOW it's shared by many here), you don't always get sound advice if you're prepared to take it from just about anyone who happened to get a job in the shop. So, one needs to be a bit clever about who they ask for the advice.

If it were me (and I didn't already know I'd only want a leather boot), I'd be inclined the try to find someone who has years of walking experience in the British Isles or a similarly temperate climate. That's the person I'd want to listen to when they're telling me whatever it is they tell about boots. The guy/girl who's spent months trekking on whatever trail in whatever part of asia/south america etc., might have fascinating anecdotal stories to tell, but might know absolutely NOTHING about how a fabric boot will hold up after even a year or so of Irish peat bog water.

They might have a healthy 'outdoorsie' tan, but they won't know that the fabric will stain, then begin to stink, then begin to stretch and lose its shape. Sure, they'll point to the Vibram soles....but my Meindl Goretex XCR lined trail shoes have an urban pattern vibram sole unit, not something big and full of muck shedding cleats.... You get the idea.

The whole lightweight fabric vs 'heavier' weight leather boot debate will rage on and on....and on. The one thing that's for sure is that a well made leather boot will always outlast the fabric boot and take far more muck, dirt, bogwater and abuse than even the swankiest fabric thermobonded superwhachamacallit yoke will.

Spare yourself the headache and answer this one question:

Do you walk often (most weeks, for a few hours)?

If the answer is yes, buy leather. Proper leather. See the previous post for brand recommendations etc.

If the answer is no, buy leather. Just a lighter weight boot that'll take less mileage and abuse, but will still hold up to what Ireland will throw at it.

If you can't decide what the answer is, and you really only want boots to look like you know what a compass is for, go to the North Face shop and treat yourself to whatever fabric mush they have on offer. ;)

Did I do good on that one Alun?

Seriously, leather all the way. Meindl, Asolo, Han Wag etc. All great brands, some fit ones feet better than others. Consider having proper insoles made up or fitted for them. The lads in the Great Outdoors can do this very well indeed, and will charge you less if you get them with the new boots.

If you're badly stuck for someone to advise when you're in there buying, speak with Steve or Charlie. Or someone else who looks a bit rough around the edges, weather beaten, and who perhaps would speak with a British Isles accent. It's the safer bet, with no disrepect to anyone else intended.

Gil

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, whoever you were speaking with first in the great outdoors was full of drivel. It happens. We've all had to work with someone who never should have got the job....

There's a lot more to fitting a boot properly than what he told you. And fabric boots are UNSUITABLE for much of Irish terrain, as you probably already realise.

BTW, no affiliation, except that the Great Outdoors are outstanding supporters of their local Mountain Rescue team, and I can't fault them for that! :D

Gil

Advertisement