Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placing objects on Reviever, is it ok?

• 08-02-2006 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm kinda stuck for space so have to place the reciever on my desk and i was thinking would it be ok to sit the monitor on it then, im pretty sure it will hold no problems.
    Would more limited air circulation cause any damage or would it be ok?

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I don't think there is going to be too much of a problem. Try not to place anything directly on top of any vents/holes on the surface. If possible, raise the monitor on the corners of its base so as to allow airflow under it. Also, check out the temperature of the surface after a while. If it is getting quite hot, then maybe there isn't enough air circulating.
    Most amps have a fan in them anyway at the back that cuts in at high power/temperature.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

The whole top of the reciever is vented. Its a Marantz SR5400 dunno if your familiar with them. As for a fan, i dont think it even has one (or i never heard it).

Had taught about raising it alright.

Jozi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Yeah, thats a nice amp all right. Ive had a look at some pictures and from what I can see there is no fan (not at the back anyway). In this case, I would raise whatever is on top of it up off the surface anyway and keep checking it every now and again to see if it is getting too hot.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

The main problem would be the weight of the monitor.. you talking an lcd or a crt? Most receivers aren't the sturdiest of cases... last thing you want is a big indentation on the top.

Heat-wise I did have problems with my Marantz when I had a DVD player sitting on top of it.. the headphone socket would start buzzing after about twenty minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The whole top of the reciever is vented. Its a Marantz SR5400 dunno if your familiar with them. As for a fan, i dont think it even has one (or i never heard it).
    It's vented for a reason - you may get away with covering it, but for prolonged use on loud volumes you're asking for trouble. Best not to cover any of the top of the amp and allow a reasonable (say 20cm) gap above it before the next shelf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Just noticed the thread title is wrong :o

Maybe ill have to look for an alternative then.
    I have had to monitor (crt) sitting on it briefly and it was able to hold it but the base of the monitor started getting warm.
    I'll see when i get a desk into the room as at the moment both are sitting on the floor

Advertisement