Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using existing modem/router with NTL?

• 08-02-2006 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,
    Couple of questions regarding a possible switch from BT to NTL which I'm hoping some kind souls can answer.

I've currently got a Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Firewall Router (http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php) and am wondering if I can still use that if I switch to NTL or do I have to use the modem they supply?

Also, what kind of socket do they install on the wall for the broadband? And what kind of cable is used to connect to the modem - standard phone cable as with Eircom/BT BB? Ethernet? Or some other proprietary connection?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Netgear DG834G will not work as it has a ADSL modem and NTL use completely different technology.

NTL will supply you with a cable modem. If you ask nicely they will also give you a wireless broadband router that will work with cable.

NTL will install a standard TV Coax point in the wall next to your PC. A standard TV Coax cable will run from this into your cable modem. From your cable modem you can attach to the PC via ethernet (the better option) or USB. If you ask for the wireless router, then they will connect the ethernet from the cable modem into the wireless router and then connect the router to your PC.

The Coax TV cable point can also deliver analogue and digital TV, so they should also give you a spliter, allowing you to connect it to a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Thanks bk.

Any idea if it would be feasible to connect the NTL modem to my Netgear Router via Ethernet and keep using it in that way? Instead of using their wireless broadband router.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sidane wrote:
    Any idea if it would be feasible to connect the NTL modem to my Netgear Router via Ethernet and keep using it in that way? Instead of using their wireless broadband router.

No, you can't do this unless your router has a WAN port. THis is basically the difference between a broadband router and an ADSL router:

Broadband router:
    4 Lan ports, plus one WAN port (realy just a special ethernet port) you can connect any type of ADSL modem or cable modem to this.

ADSL router:
    4 lan ports, plus one RJ11 port (telephone port) it has a ADSL modem builtin and it can only be used with ADSL.

If you get a wireless router from NTL, I believe it is simply the Broadband router version of what you already have, so you can always sell your ADSL one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote:
    The Netgear DG834G will not work as it has a ADSL modem and NTL use completely different technology.

NTL will supply you with a cable modem. If you ask nicely they will also give you a wireless broadband router that will work with cable.

Unfortunately this seems to be more a matter of luck than anything else. A friend of mine had NTL installed last week and I had her well tutored in advance to ask for the wireless router but it was no go - the installer suggested she ring NTL and ask them to send out one and she was politely told that NTL don't provide wireless routers - also a couple of weeks ago I rang to check ntl availablitly and when I inuquired about the wireless router they told me they did not provide them 'yet'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

bk,

While floors and skirting were up I took the opportunity to run some cat5 ethernet from where my PC is over to the other side of the room were the TV and NTL point is. As soon as Bray is upgraded for NTL BB I'll be ditching UTV. I already have NTL Digital. I figured I'd sit the NTL modem on top of the NTL STB. Other end of ethernet cable would connect to a new BB router to replace my DG834G :D Anyway, am I missing something obvious or is there any reason the NTL modem should be beside the PC rather than on the other end of a 10m ethernet cable?

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote:
    bk,

While floors and skirting were up I took the opportunity to run some cat5 ethernet from where my PC is over to the other side of the room were the TV and NTL point is. As soon as Bray is upgraded for NTL BB I'll be ditching UTV. I already have NTL Digital. I figured I'd sit the NTL modem on top of the NTL STB. Other end of ethernet cable would connect to a new BB router to replace my DG834G :D Anyway, am I missing something obvious or is there any reason the NTL modem should be beside the PC rather than on the other end of a 10m ethernet cable?

That setup should work perfectly fine. The only slight disadvantage is if you wanted an extra TV point by the PC, to use the PC as a media/entertainment centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

We got NTL installed last friday and we didnt get the wifi router. The guy said he didnt have any in the van... :(

So I had to get one. I picked a Linksys WRT54G.. works ok... if you get one make sure you patch it to the latest firmware

As for your ADSL router that wont work ( i tried to connect a Netopia ADSL router just to double check but no use... )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭mel123

joe bloggs how much was the router and where did u get it??

Advertisement