Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availability in specific areas

• 08-02-2006 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to determine if BB is available in specific areas of parts of Dublin. Now, I know you can look at getbroadband.ie and enter a specific area, however I'm looking to move to a specific part of Lucan, and want to know what my options are there. As opposed to getting a list of services available in Lucan only. Its a large area and I understand services like cable/ADSL vary depending on the part you are in.

So, short of stealing the phone number/ntl account number from the house I'm looking at, and ringing up and pretending to be the occupier, is there some way I can find out?. Estate agents tend to be 'yes, you can have anything you want' type of rubbish.

Thanks!

AG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Maybe if you post the area or street here you may get specific info from people living in the area. Otherwise you'll get alot of general information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

GO TO HOUSE WITH A PHONE IN A BAG !

PLUG IT IN IF THERE IS NO PHONE THERE

(TRY THIS NEXT LOT AT HOME FIRST)

DIAL 199000

WRITE DOWN NUMBER

PUT NUMBER INTO A LINE CHECKER EVEN IF NOT IN SERVICE

you will get a result.

for NTL just ring them and give them the address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

kaizersoze wrote:
    Maybe if you post the area or street here you may get specific info from people living in the area. Otherwise you'll get alot of general information.

Looking at a few areas...... main place at moment is Esker Lawns.

Thanks for info SB, will try that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ArthurG wrote:
    Looking at a few areas...... main place at moment is Esker Lawns.

Thanks for info SB, will try that out.

I think you could be okay, lucan exchanges appear to be upgraded in the recent change. I am on the Ballydowd one and houses in that area of Lucan are either connected to it or the Lucan village one.

Smart are moving into Ballydowd "soon"...

As regards NTL, like it was said, ring them up with the address.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

ArthurG wrote:
    Hi,

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to determine if BB is available in specific areas of parts of Dublin. Now, I know you can look at getbroadband.ie and enter a specific area, however I'm looking to move to a specific part of Lucan, and want to know what my options are there. As opposed to getting a list of services available in Lucan only. Its a large area and I understand services like cable/ADSL vary depending on the part you are in.

So, short of stealing the phone number/ntl account number from the house I'm looking at, and ringing up and pretending to be the occupier, is there some way I can find out?. Estate agents tend to be 'yes, you can have anything you want' type of rubbish.

Thanks!

AG

Is there any businesses around there? If not just get the neighbours number and do the line test on that and it might just be an indication. That website getbroadband.ie is giving me all the DSL options when I put in my area. It says I can be able to access DSL eventually...... I doubt it.

Still I am going to phone up Eircom and find out. I'll report back later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Thanks for your help guys.

Advertisement