Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

editing a photo

Options
  • 08-02-2006 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to edit a photo to use on the top of a letter. Basically, all I want to do is draw an oval around someone's face, then fade out the edges to white. The crappy photo editor that comes with xp has no templates for that type of thing.

Anyone know of any FREE photo editors that will let me cut an oval shape, then fade the edges?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i'm sure you could do it with gimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Try the Gimp like the Free Man said,
    http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/
    GNU image manipulation program; the link above is for the Windows version (it's probably best known as a Linux proggie)
    Another alternative one time would've been to download a shareware/trial version of Paint Shop Pro by Jasc software. A great program too, used to give full functionality for a month, and just nag you to buy thereafter, but was still full featured. Nowadays it looks like Corel have bought out Jasc so Paintshop Pro is their proggie now. A quick look at their site didn't appeal to me much to be honest. They expect you to set up an account just to download the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Technique: vignette.
    The Gimp would allow you to do this and is free - however, I don't know whether it has a "template" to do this.

It sounds like you want a vignette or vignetting plug-in...

Otherwise: The Gimp + vignetting tutorial

Otherwise, post of the image and more details (Dimensions,etc.) and some kind soul might have a crack at it ;)

Advertisement