Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gui to access a servlet or jsp

Options
  • 08-02-2006 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

For my 4th year project Im writing a jsp or a servlet not sure yet which retrieves info from a mysql database.
    I need to write a gui which will allow people to connect directly to the servlet aswell as access other servlets and pages.
    What type of gui would allow this?
    What would be the best java library to use to construct this type of gui?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I think you need to read up on this stuff first.

A JSP is really markup with Java embedded, while a servlet is really a java program that spits out markup. This markup is usually HTML, XHTML, WML or CHTML, i.e. a web page. In other words, you're writing a web page, so what you need is a browser, not some slick UI.

If you don't have a web tool yet, one possibility is Eclipse with the Web Tools Project (WTP), or Java Studio from Sun.

For ease of use, I'd suggest using JavaServer Faces (see the Apache MyFaces project too) since that has pretty cool databinding features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Well the idea I had was the gui (which could be online) would allow the user to press a button to bring up a certain page.
    I was thinking of originally using java swing but I don't know if it would allow me to do this.
    Would the eclipse tool help you to do that?
    Ive got tomcat apache for testing the servlets or jsp's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I guess you could use the Eclipse RCP platform, which uses the native widgets (SWT) rather than Swing. You can then embed a browser control into your app and access the page that way.

However, I would have no rich client: I'd simply have a set of web pages, backed by JSPs.

Advertisement