Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA Psychology & Sociology

Options
  • 09-02-2006 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey just looin at the courses index and saw this course startin up next year and it looks interestin! Does anyone know what jobs u could possibly get if u completed it? And can u progress to become a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist? doin 1st year general nursin at present. Tnx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭pbffan

5 years on, time for a bump :)

I'm just wondering what are the key differences between this course and the single honours Bachelor of Science in Psychology also on offer in the college. Is one more geared towards one direction over another, or do students come out in the same position at the end of the day? I know the single degree is higher in points, but does that really mean anything?

I'm hoping to ultimately advance into Clinical psychology btw

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

I reckon after 5 years you might have been justified making a new topic, anyway..

For starters, psych&soc is an arts degree (BA) and psychology is a science degree (BSc), I don't know how much difference that makes in getting jobs and stuff though. I wouldn't really worry about it much but some people do have opinions on arts degrees, it's probably naive to think that every potential employer will be completely unbiased.

Both courses have almost the same first year, and as far as i know it's possible to switch between the two at the end of first year if your results are ok (I'm not sure though so you should contact the course director(s) if you think you might end up doing that, you should be able to find their emails on the ul website [when it works]). After 1st year psychology starts to focus completely on psychology modules and psych&soc stays split between sociology and psychology. The ul website appears to be broken currently but whenever it decides to work again you can look at the course pages and see exactly what modules you'll be doing in both courses.

I've just finished 1st year of psychology, I took intro to sociology as 1 of my 2 elective subjects and basically hated it, it's all too waffley and non-sciencey for me. I liked the actual psychology modules though. Anyway if you're dead set on working as a clinical psychologist I don't really think there's any point in going for psych&soc over psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hi, heading into 4th year of Psych n Soc here.

If Clinical is what you're looking for, I'd say head for the BSc. in Psychology. It'd be more geared towards the science aspect, whereas my course is more arts based.

PM if you want more detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭pbffan

The BA is the only one currently accredited isn't it?

pbffan wrote: »
    The BA is the only one currently accredited isn't it?

Yep.. IIRC Clifford said they need to complete a 4 year cycle to get accreditation, so they should get it for the BSc at the end of this academic year (2011/12). He seemed basically 100% confident that it would get accreditation.

• Advertisement

neil_ wrote: »
    Yep.. IIRC Clifford said they need to complete a 4 year cycle to get accreditation, so they should get it for the BSc at the end of this academic year (2011/12). He seemed basically 100% confident that it would get accreditation.

This is only the 2nd year of the BSc?

BA got it last year.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    This is only the 2nd year of the BSc?

BA got it last year.

I'm not really sure which year it is tbh, in any case it's highly unlikely that it won't get accredited :)

neil_ wrote: »
    I'm not really sure which year it is tbh, in any case it's highly unlikely that it won't get accredited :)

They're going into 3rd year next semester.

Aye, akin to those 'subject to licence' notices for concerts.

Advertisement