Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick HDMI question?

• 09-02-2006 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm getting a DVD player with HDMI and want to know does the HDMI connection transmit audio or is it purely for display / video purposes?

Quazzy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

yes, hdmi carries audio signals. I think the support is for Digital audio (rather than analogue red/white rca equiv) but not 100% sure, nor for that matter sure if it is just stereo or 5.1/6.1/7.1 etc.

You might check what the device you are inputting accepts. I mean, does the AMP/TV accept digital audio over HDMI or is it expecting it via optical/CoAx???

L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

nereid wrote:
    yes, hdmi carries audio signals. I think the support is for Digital audio (rather than analogue red/white rca equiv) but not 100% sure, nor for that matter sure if it is just stereo or 5.1/6.1/7.1 etc.

You might check what the device you are inputting accepts. I mean, does the AMP/TV accept digital audio over HDMI or is it expecting it via optical/CoAx???

L

The TV i'm getting is a Samsung 32" LCD I think the model is R41B.
    It has HDMI input so I assume it should be compatible???

If not then I'll just output the DVD audio via TosLink (optical) to my Surround sound system.

Thanks for the info

Oh yeah, it has HDMI all right. The only thing about connecting the DVD directly to the TV with HDMI and using it for sound, is that you will be using the TV's speakers for sound.

I would recommend usiing the optical/coaxial digital output into the amp aswell so that you can use it if you want to.

The thing that I do not know is, if you plug the hdmi from the dvd into an amp that has hdmi, do you still need to run the optical/digital lead for digital sound or is the DD/DTS signal carried in the hdmi cable into the amp and decoded there. In any case, this is not applicable for your amp, more just a query that I have.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The thing that I do not know is, if you plug the hdmi from the dvd into an amp that has hdmi, do you still need to run the optical/digital lead for digital sound or is the DD/DTS signal carried in the hdmi cable into the amp and decoded there. In any case, this is not applicable for your amp, more just a query that I have.
    Amps with HDMI will take the audio from the hdmi and pass the video on.

Its worth noting that HDMI is just a way of tranfering data, it supports up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio, and also can be used to transport existing audio formats such as Dolby 5.1 and DTS. Whether the device you plug it into can decode these formats is another matter, if you're connecting to a 2 speaker TV then you will need to tell your player what 'type' of sound to output on HDMI.

Does HDMI support Dolby 5.1 audio and high-resolution audio formats?
    Yes. From the start, HDMI was defined to carry 8-channels, of 192kHz, 24-bit uncompressed audio, which exceeds all current consumer media formats. In addition, HDMI can carry any flavor of compressed audio format such as Dolby or DTS. (Such compressed formats are the only multi-channel or high-resolution audio formats that can be carried across the older S/PDIF or AES/EBU interfaces.) The fact that the vast majority of HDMI products shipped are two-channel TVs that don’t support more than two-channel audio doesn’t make this any less the case. Most existing HDMI sources can output any compressed stream, and the newer sources can output uncompressed 6-channel, 96kHz audio from a DVD-Audio disk. There are several A/V receivers on the market that can accept and process the 6- or 8-channel audio from HDMI and more are expected to be available shortly.
    http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/faq.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

quazzy wrote:
    The TV i'm getting is a Samsung 32" LCD I think the model is R41B.
    It has HDMI input so I assume it should be compatible???

If not then I'll just output the DVD audio via TosLink (optical) to my Surround sound system.

Thanks for the info

Hey Quazzy, I just got the new model R51B, its an amazing TV. Picture quality is excellent and you've got all the required connections at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hey Quazzy, I just got the new model R51B, its an amazing TV. Picture quality is excellent and you've got all the required connections at the back.
    That good to hear.

Are you using Sky Digital or ntl Digital?

ARe any of the stations badly compressed???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

quazzy wrote:
    That good to hear.

Are you using Sky Digital or ntl Digital?

ARe any of the stations badly compressed???

I'm with smart :rolleyes:

The picture is really good from the sky channels but its mostly only used for my Xbox 360.

I hooked my PC up to it too and it was class - 32" Boards.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

new to hdmi and the forum...

just got the LG42PX5D plasma and using a hdmi connection to a Samsung HD850 DVD player

There is no sound from the TV speakers and there is a message 'HDMI audio not supported'

Anyone has any experience with this?

thanks

666bxg wrote:
    'HDMI audio not supported'

In this case you will have to run a set of RCA phono Red/White audio leads to the audio input on the back of the TV if you want to use the TV's speakers for the audio.

I have a LG myself - haven't tried HDMI yet but the manual says "TV can receive the video and audio signal simultaneously with using a HDMI cable".

Have you not got a surround sound speaker setup? The TV speakers really are not the best for experiencing DVD soundtracks.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

This probably means that the *type* of HDMI audio being sent is not supported (rather than HDMI audio not supported at all). Have a look at the audio settings on the player and downmix to stereo or choose a 2 channel audio track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

Thanks pH for the quick reply.

will definitely play around with the menus and let you know how i get on.

cheers

Advertisement