Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Cables

• 09-02-2006 9:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a new TV and DVD player and will be needing some good connections - scart, HDMI, Toslink etc.

http://www.monstercable.com/home_av/

Saw these cables in DID and maplin and I was just wondering if anyone has used them, heard of them???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Monster cables are fairly well known but they are also one of those companies that engade in fleecing audio and videophiles with the usual over priced " extra special" high quality cables. Now they are not as bad as some of the other companies out there that enage in this practice but I really wouldnt waste any money on their cables.

If you want something cheaper and works just the same use Lindy or just get the generic unbranded cables from maplins.
    http://www.lindy.com/eire/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

8T8 wrote:
    Monster cables are fairly well known but they are also one of those companies that engade in fleecing audio and videophiles with the usual over priced " extra special" high quality cables. Now they are not as bad as some of the other companies out there that enage in this practice but I really wouldnt waste any money on their cables.

If you want something cheaper and works just the same use Lindy or just get the generic unbranded cables from maplins.
    http://www.lindy.com/eire/

Thanks for the info.
    The site look pretty good. If anyone else can recommend some cabling sites please let me know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

What price were the Monster cables in DID?? The price would be a big factor, Monster cables can be a rip off but they will do a decent job.. But you could potentially get cheaper cables which give the same quality!!

I'd stand by QED cables which are available in Peats for not too much of a rip off price either, in my opinion!! It all depends on how much you want to spend?? Which is usually based on how much you have spent on what you are connecting. They say you should spend 10% on cables and I'd agree with that. I just spent €100 (not in Peats) on a 3m HDMI QED Quinex HDMI-P cable but its connecting devices worth over 5k so to me its not that much to spend but to others its nuts!!

Check here for more expert advice!!

Just to add I'd stay far far away from unbranded cables cos they are sh1te, grand if your connecting bog standard stuff. Maybe if you let us know what your connecting it might be easier to give advice??

Cheers

Branners

branners69 wrote:
    What price were the Monster cables in DID?? The price would be a big factor, Monster cables can be a rip off but they will do a decent job.. But you could potentially get cheaper cables which give the same quality!!

I'd stand by QED cables which are available in Peats for not too much of a rip off price either, in my opinion!! It all depends on how much you want to spend?? Which is usually based on how much you have spent on what you are connecting. They say you should spend 10% on cables and I'd agree with that. I just spent €100 (not in Peats) on a 3m HDMI QED Quinex HDMI-P cable but its connecting devices worth over 5k so to me its not that much to spend but to others its nuts!!

Check here for more expert advice!!

Just to add I'd stay far far away from unbranded cables cos they are sh1te, grand if your connecting bog standard stuff.
    Cheers

Branners

I saw a Optical (Toslink) in DID for €40, roughly the same for a HDMI and gold plated SCART.

are these prices ok?
    branners69 wrote:
    Maybe if you let us know what your connecting it might be easier to give advice??
    Branners

I'm getting my tv today. Its like this one only its the R41 Model not R51
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313313&cks=SPK

Also getting this DVD player
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=316414&cks=PRL

I have an oldish Surrond sound system - acoustic solutions, I will probably upgrade later on.

What do you reckon????

I'd say the cables will do a decent enough job.. but you may want to hear what someone who has actually used them has to say about them!!

If I was you, having spent so much on your LCD and DVD, I would get a very decent HDMI and scart cable, I dont work for QED but I use their cables so I would vouch for them but look here and here for cable recommendations and go online and buy them.. even if they cost €60-€70 each after spending nearly 2k on a system you should have set aside €200 for decent cables cos they DO make a huge difference!! Another name to look for is Ixos.

Sorry I cant tell you to 'yes' definitely buy them cables, but I hope the advice above helps!!

I might well be picking your brains in a couple of months about the Samsung DVD-HR725 DVD/HDD-recorder, as I might be buying one of these myself!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

I can understand people worrying about cable quality when the signal is analogue. It does make a difference.

But with digital I dont understand. Either the 1 and 0's are getting through or they are not. If the cable conforms to standards, it should work as well as any other cable. Build quality should be the only defining issue.

branners69 wrote:
    I'd say the cables will do a decent enough job.. but you may want to hear what someone who has actually used them has to say about them!!

If I was you, having spent so much on your LCD and DVD, I would get a very decent HDMI and scart cable, I dont work for QED but I use their cables so I would vouch for them but look here and here for cable recommendations and go online and buy them.. even if they cost €60-€70 each after spending nearly 2k on a system you should have set aside €200 for decent cables cos they DO make a huge difference!! Another name to look for is Ixos.

Sorry I cant tell you to 'yes' definitely buy them cables, but I hope the advice above helps!!

I might well be picking your brains in a couple of months about the Samsung DVD-HR725 DVD/HDD-recorder, as I might be buying one of these myself!!

Thanks for your input branners. I really dont mind spending a bit extra on the connectors as long as they are of good quality - like you said, there's no point in spending 2K and getting crappy connectors.

I'll look into QED and the links you sent.

Komplett are out of stock at the moment so I'll be getting the DVD player in about 2 weeks.

I'll post back when I have it.

Feel free to PM if you want a review.

Quazzy

dalk wrote:
    I can understand people worrying about cable quality when the signal is analogue. It does make a difference.

But with digital I dont understand. Either the 1 and 0's are getting through or they are not. If the cable conforms to standards, it should work as well as any other cable. Build quality should be the only defining issue.

You pay for what you get, cheaper cables have a higher chance of leakage and interference cos they arent shielded.. Some cables can be seriously detremental to your system such as cheapy scarts which dont carry RGB or HDMI cables which dont do over 720p.

As you say build quality is probably the most important, standards can be set very low so the more expensive cables are built to way over minimum requirements. This is when you hear people say nickel is better then gold etc. One of the reasons I like QED scart is the are straight entry, ie they dont have the cable coming out the side. But thats just my choice:)

@quazzy

I am assuming the LCD is the Samsung model which doesnt have the 'bursting into flames' problem?? Well bursting into flames is an exaggeration:) Appartently some suffered from spontanious(sp?) combustion check it out here. I'm sure Samsung have resolved the issues by now!!

The only downfall with the Samsung DVD-HR725 DVD/HDD-recorder is the fact it doesnt burn to dual layer discs.. but its something I'm sure I could live without, especailly with a 160gb harddrive in it!! And it has so much to offer like HDMI & DIVX!!

Deffo let me know what your thoughts are when you get it!!

If I can be of anymore help (or not as the case may be) let me know:)

branners69 wrote:
    @quazzy

I am assuming the LCD is the Samsung model which doesnt have the 'bursting into flames' problem?? Well bursting into flames is an exaggeration:) Appartently some suffered from spontanious(sp?) combustion check it out here. I'm sure Samsung have resolved the issues by now!!

I think "The Flamin' Sammys" were only sent to the Curry's / Dixons group - not 100% though. I'll be getting mine in Power City so I hope im ok.
    branners69 wrote:

The only downfall with the Samsung DVD-HR725 DVD/HDD-recorder is the fact it doesnt burn to dual layer discs.. but its something I'm sure I could live without, especailly with a 160gb harddrive in it!! And it has so much to offer like HDMI & DIVX!!
    yeah i know it wont play DL but I'm really not too bothered, I found it really hard to find a DVD player with HDD+ HDMI + DiVX so I'm happy
    branners69 wrote:

I will and thanks

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

If you are looking for QED scarts check out this eBay seller:

http://stores.ebay.ie/Fill-Your-Boots-Ltd

I bought a 3M Scart off him a couple of months back for a lot cheaper than they cost elsewhere, I think I paid around €60. If he doesn't have what you are looking for listed send him a mail and he will get it for you.

• Advertisement

quazzy wrote:
    yeah i know it wont play DL but I'm really not too bothered, I found it really hard to find a DVD player with HDD+ HDMI + DiVX so I'm happy
    Q

I found it hard to find one as well, there was an LG one and the Sammy, then I heard that Pioneer are launching new equipment in April/May in time for the world cup so I think I'll wait til then to see what they have to offer!!

But let me know cos it would be better if I didnt have to wait.
    masterK wrote:

I bought a 3M Scart off him a couple of months back for a lot cheaper than they cost elsewhere, I think I paid around €60. If he doesn't have what you are looking for listed send him a mail and he will get it for you.

masterK what do you think of the QED cables, do you reckon they are good quality??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

def check around avforums...there are plenty of debates over whether expensive cables are just marketing and nothing much better than the normal €5/7 per meter cables.
    My experience is more with hifi cables but its seems that most ppl cant tell the difference in blind tests between decent cables (van der hul,etc) and something like monster or valhalla.

masterK wrote:

Thanks for the linky, Master K.

I'll check around for comparisons in Peats etc.... but they seem very cheap.

ps

Got my Sammy last nite, I'm sooooooooo HAPPY :):):)

branners69 wrote:
    You pay for what you get, cheaper cables have a higher chance of leakage and interference cos they arent shielded.. Some cables can be seriously detremental to your system such as cheapy scarts which dont carry RGB or HDMI cables which dont do over 720p.

As you say build quality is probably the most important, standards can be set very low so the more expensive cables are built to way over minimum requirements. This is when you hear people say nickel is better then gold etc. One of the reasons I like QED scart is the are straight entry, ie they dont have the cable coming out the side. But thats just my choice:)

@quazzy

Hi branners,

I got the DVD player this week and its brilliant - still have to figure a few things out, like how to record properly (manuel is dutch - thanks Komplett).

I played Batman Begins via HDMI and the picture quality is just amazing.
    Also tried some DivX and Xvid files and both of them seem to work fine.

And, although it says it only supports DVD -R/-RW I used +RW and it read it fine.

I'm gonna sort out the Recording bit once I get all my new cabling.

Getting the following delivered in the next couple of days:

QED QUNEX HDMI 1METRE CABLE
    QED QUNEX OT DIGITAL OPTICAL TOSLINK CABLE 1METRE
    IXOS 615 PC-OFC 228 STRAND 13 AWG SPEAKER CABLE 10M
    IXOS XHT601-075 SCART CABLE 0.75METRE
    QED Micro Speaker Cable

I'll update as soon as everything is up and running
    Quazzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 festina

These guys are very good

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/

They reply to your email queries the same day and delivery is prompt

quazzy wrote:
    Hi branners,

I got the DVD player this week and its brilliant

Also tried some DivX and Xvid files and both of them seem to work fine.

Hey Quazzy,

you still liking the Sammy 725?? I really need to get my hands on a DVD player which plays Xvid, would you recommend this??

Any idea whats recording off Sky is like??

Glad to see you ordered some decent cables, did they arrive yet?? You happy with them??

I am sure you found this by now but you can get the manual in English from here

Cheers

Branners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

if ur gonna go buy cables, go for the monster ones, they're AWESOME!

but buy them on eBay for 60% of the price :D

branners69 wrote:
    Hey Quazzy,

you still liking the Sammy 725?? I really need to get my hands on a DVD player which plays Xvid, would you recommend this??

Any idea whats recording off Sky is like??

Glad to see you ordered some decent cables, did they arrive yet?? You happy with them??

I am sure you found this by now but you can get the manual in English from here

Cheers

Branners
    Hey Branners,
    Yes I'm still liking the Sammy 725 plugged into my Sammy 32" LCD :):):)

I can confirm it defo plays Xvid - hasn't refused anything yet.

Plays DivX up to version 5.0 - I tried DivX 6.0 and Div-HD from the wesite (Madagascar trailer) and it didn't work, but I'm not bothered tbh.

I think Xvid is savage anyway.

I don't have Sky Digital - only ntl but so far it records very well.
    I just got my new IXOS Scart to feed the ntl into the DVD player and the picture seems great from recorded material.

I am just waiting on my Toslink cable and HDMI cable from Fill your boots - but I already tried the pre-packed HDMI cable and the DVD's and DivX /Xvid movies are absolutly stunning.

I would still recommend it.

ps
    Thanks for the English Manuel Link I found it the other day.

Let me know if you have any other queries or questions.
    Regards,

Quazzy

Morf3h wrote:
    if ur gonna go buy cables, go for the monster ones, they're AWESOME!

but buy them on eBay for 60% of the price :D
    Hey Morf,

Tanx for the advice but I've already bit the bullet and ordered a SCART, HDMI and Toslink cables from QED and IXOS - see my earlier posts in this thread.

Quazzy

quazzy wrote:
    Let me know if you have any other queries or questions.
    Quazzy

Hi Quazzy,

just three queries, for now;)

Do you know if you can record to the HD and watch a DVD?? Not that I will probably ever be doing it but I believe the LG 7500 suffers from this..

And can you copy xvid programmes directly to the HD, I'll need this cos of all the DVDs I misplace!!

Is there a 8.3 naming convention restriction on files on the HD, ie can you have mynameisearlep1.avi or is it myname~1.avi. Again I believe the LG suffers from this..

Many thanx,

Branners

• Advertisement

branners69 wrote:
    Hi Quazzy,

just three queries, for now;)

Do you know if you can record to the HD and watch a DVD?? Not that I will probably ever be doing it but I believe the LG 7500 suffers from this..

Branners

"Suffer" is such a strong word...
    Anyhoo, You can't record to the HD and watch a DVD - unfortunately.
    You CAN record to HDD and watch a movie on HDD - its in the manuel but I haven't tried it yet.
    branners69 wrote:
    And can you copy xvid programmes directly to the HD, I'll need this cos of all the DVDs I misplace!!

I'm afraid this doesn't work. You can only transfer DVD, MP3 and images.
    (Maybe there'll be a firmware upgrade but I can live without it)
    branners69 wrote:
    Is there a 8.3 naming convention restriction on files on the HD, ie can you have mynameisearlep1.avi or is it myname~1.avi. Again I believe the LG suffers from this..

Not sure - I'll check this and get back to you

Quazzy

Thanx for the reply quazzy!

I've taken the plunge and bought a Pioneer 530, I got a great deal off Richer Sounds and the fact that I have the Pioneer Screen , Media Box and Receiver
    helped me decide to stick with the name!!

Cheers

Branners

branners69 wrote:
    Thanx for the reply quazzy!

I've taken the plunge and bought a Pioneer 530, I got a great deal off Richer Sounds and the fact that I have the Pioneer Screen , Media Box and Receiver
    helped me decide to stick with the name!!

Cheers

Branners

Enjoy it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

People who buy Monster Cables are the same people who buy BOSE audio systems.

what's wrong with that? if you have the money and want top quality sound with awesome looks, go for bose & monster. And anyways, Bose are just horrendously expensive cause people buy from their stores and stuff. If you shop eBay, you get it all for 60% or the r.r.p. :D

bonus!

Just wanted to add that dispite the name of this thread I didn't buy Monster cables.

I bought IXOS and QED - still waiting on 1 or 2 items though.

PS - I dont own any Bose gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Morf3h wrote:
    what's wrong with that? if you have the money and want top quality sound with awesome looks, go for bose & monster. And anyways, Bose are just horrendously expensive cause people buy from their stores and stuff. If you shop eBay, you get it all for 60% or the r.r.p. :D

bonus!

ROTFLMFAO :D

Calibos wrote:
    ROTFLMFAO :D

are you supposed to be mocking me here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Mocking you personally, No. Mocking ''Top Quality Sound'' and ''Bose'' in the same sentence! Yes:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Bought some monster plugs in B&Q a couple of weeks ago, haven't used them yet as I'm waiting on a TV and couldn't be bothered til it's here!

It's a digital coaxial cable kit 15m plus 1 m gold plated scart lead. Came with
    • 15m Digital Coaxial Cable
    • Coaxial plugs 9.5mm x 2 pieces
    • Female coaxial coupler x 1 piece
    • 2 way splitter x 1 piece
    • Cable clips z 5
    • 1 m gold plated scart lead.
    Thery were only about a fiver each, so I though I was doing well. Got two of them at the time :)

Advertisement