Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house, the other costs

Options
  • 09-02-2006 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I've just agreed to buy a house for 317500.
    I'm pretty skint now and need to save wherever possible
    So I was wondering what prices people have got for the following( I'm in Cork by the way)

Engineer
    Solicitor
    House insurance
    Life Insurance/Mortgadge Protection

or if ther is anything I've forgotten that will be another essential cost

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Furniture, bin charges

A little hint would be get an enginer that can do the valuation to keep the mortgage company happy too. It will save you €200.

Some of the mortgage websites are good for such thinking on costs Permenant is good as far as I remember.

I assume when you say 317500 you actually mean less so you aren't paying stamp duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What is in/out of the house contract? Carpets? Curtains? Kitchen? Tiling? Flooring?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

Ther isn;t any furnature but the house was lived in and has carpets tiles ect.
    I have a big list of furnature to get from beds to cutlery, mops and brushes.

I have a very set amount of cash to get everything and just don't want to forget something big.

I'll have to check about bin charges, I'd forgoten about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

For solicitor fee's check out prima finance (http://www.primafinance.ie/primafinance/specialdeals.asp). I've never used them but, according to their website, is you get your mortgage with them the legal fee's are only E600.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

daveg wrote:
    For solicitor fee's check out prima finance (http://www.primafinance.ie/primafinance/specialdeals.asp). I've never used them but, according to their website, is you get your mortgage with them the legal fee's are only E600.
    Be very careful when the legal advice is tied to the mortgage provider, you might not be getting independent advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't sign up to the fancy mortgage protection plan that the bank will try to sell to you.
    Just go for the very cheapest product you can find.
    You can always shop around for a better deal once you have it in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 simp

Check out the forums on askaboutmoney.com - loads of suitable advice there - and check out their best buy boards...
    http://askaboutmoney.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Advertisement