Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow cooker. Anyone have one?

• 09-02-2006 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting something like this. Does anyone here use a slow cooker? Can you just throw meat (say stewing beef), veg (say carrots, onions etc) and spuds into it in the morning and cook all day? Any recommendations on which one to get? Any recipes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a Morphy Richards one, it has a clear glass lid and the crockpot is black.
    I think it is 4.5 litres capacity.
    I have to say It is fantastic for stews and the like although you have to be careful with making sure that there is enough liquid to cover all the ingredients as the liquid carries the heat.
    You could cook rubber to an edible texture in one of these if you left it long enough.
    I have found recipezaar good for a lot of recipes , I found one for vegetable stew and you made a batter out of cornmeal and poured it on top.
    when you served it up you had a kind of soft cornbread on top of the stew, Ill try and find a link.
    here is the link http://www.recipezaar.com/110674

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have one.. only used it once.... I will have to use it more, they are great but require planning as you sort of need to have it going all day so unless you have lots of time to plan meals...
    Anyway great for Chilli :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have found mine great for overnight cooking,
    I often prepare a meal in the evening and leave it on overnight, turn it off in the morning and leave it.
    Reheat for dinner.
    The clear glass lid is essential, if you remove the lid you lose a lot of heat and consequently add cooking time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

using mine now... wife is making chilli so for once i dont need to cook :D

Advertisement