Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is LIT THAT Good a college?

Options
  • 09-02-2006 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I'm a 2nd Year student @ LIT! Theres nothing to do here. Everything sucks!

The Student Union building is a tip!

Anyone agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

why did you go there if you don;t like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I'm a 2nd Year student @ LIT! Theres nothing to do here. Everything sucks!

The Student Union building is a tip!

Anyone agree?
    Well what do you want here? the only thing we are missing is a pub and that’s not going to happen. UL mightn’t even have one for that much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I will agree the college blows Lol. :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

Ahh tiz ok, i like it even though id do ne thing for a student bar..:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Wickla in Blaa

I was there years ago, we didn't have a sudent bar then either and it was a grand college. can your little legs not walk into town? Its about 20 mins to your left and theres all kinds of pubs in there!! you might even meet some real Limerick folk!!!

or is that the issue, that you want a UL style campus where you don't need to actually deal with the real people of the area?

• Advertisement

I am have lived in the area all my life, and the nearest decent pub is the Davin , but for some reason some people dont like it.

Btw the student union is actually quite good, obviously you must have serious high standards. Its certainly a 100 times better than the orignal games room when I first started back in 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Brother To God

I have lived in the area most of my life too! I like the davin or the country club for a quite pint! LIT has a great radio station,better than UL!!
    also the atmosphere in LIT is pretty relaxed and far more friendly!

I have to agree on the friendliness, there is just something about UL I cant put my finger on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

UL is too big and way too impersonal. You could meet some one day and never see them again. LIT is like a big family and way friendlier. You think the Su building is a tip do something about it complain to the Union or get involved in it. Back when I was in LIT we jsut had one room for the SU and a prefab to play pool in.

• Advertisement

Exactly sioda , thats what it was like when I first started. The new SU building is a palace in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

LIT has a great radio station,better than UL!!

It would want to be, seeing as UL doesn't actually have a radio station...:rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

klong wrote:
    It would want to be, seeing as UL doesn't actually have a radio station...:rolleyes: ;)
    lol..

Mary I has a radio station..(yes shock shock:eek: ...:D )is it better than ours i wonder?

was over in lit last week for a match actually and was surprised by the place tbh..much more modern than i thought!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I suppose when the pub at Hassetts Cross is redeveloped LIT will have the perfect spot for a "local".

It wasn't always a scumbag pub btw, so no reason the new one that goes there (if one goes there) will be a scumbag pub.

the Mary I radio station is part of the LIT radio station, LIT actually host the transmitter in moylish, its called wiredFM. Originally UL were also involved but they pulled out to run their own, but the fell through. The biggest problem with LIT is it is very spread out. Their are 3 campus's throughout the city the main one in moylish is too small to accommodate the whole of LIT and there is no on campus accommodation which you really need to give a college a bit of an atmosphere. If LIT purchased st nessans school when they had the option a few years back they would have been able to move everything to the moylish campus and all students could live on campus. If that happened LIT would be a totally different place. LIT does have good potential though and in a few years it will be very big, if it keeps growing at the current rate

The Art College will soon all be located on Clare street, so that should free up some space.

As an aside, I think a "one campus art college" will be good for LIT.

The Art College will soon all be located on Clare street, so that should free up some space.

As an aside, I think a "one campus art college" will be good for LIT.
    The art college is allready located on clare st they also have a place in beshopes quay but that is being moved to clare st. The moylish campus dont really have anything to do with the art college, which is a pity it would be a laugh with the guys for the art college being around moylish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

sioda wrote:
    UL is too big and way too impersonal. You could meet some one day and never see them again. LIT is like a big family and way friendlier. You think the Su building is a tip do something about it complain to the Union or get involved in it.

is it me or that the exact thing that is written in today irish times supplement on college2006?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Aido c

LIT is a public service, public facility.. . Guess what - that means you too own it. Yes you do.

e.g. You can say that Ryan Air sucks (and I am not saying that, I have never flown with them), and blame Michael O'Leary or his board of directors or his share holders. Thats fine.

It is not the same to just say LIT 'is not that good'. You have to accept and take responsibility for that (albeit little) part of LIT that you own.

Making it better, is literally about everybody chippin in to improve it, shoulder to the wheel.

So what have you done today to improve the place?

I dont understand why this idea got lost amongst students since the '60's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I suppose when the pub at Hassetts Cross is redeveloped LIT will have the perfect spot for a "local".

It wasn't always a scumbag pub btw, so no reason the new one that goes there (if one goes there) will be a scumbag pub.
    Except maybe the fact it's down the road from Ballynanty?

I don't go to LIT - I go to UL - but I live in Caherdavin. I haven't been around LIT campus much so don't know what there is to do there, but there's kinda feck all to do on the North side of Limerick. There's like 3 half-decent pubs (if you count the Curragower on Clancy's Strand), but they're mostly old-man pubs. There's Jetland if you wanna race around in your Heelies and have loads of coffee and muffins (a BB's opened there recently). Then there's Fun World if you want to waste your money on shyte arcade games/go bowling/beat up some scobes on a Friday night. But beyond that, what is there?

Yeah sure you can go into town, but that requires *effort* :(

Then again Castletroy doesn't have much either. Well there's the cinema, the 2 remaining on-campus pubs, more food holes, and that dive some may call The Lodge, but not much beyond that. The clubs & soc's in UL are great, but if you're not in one there's not really much to do in the SU - there's a games room but it's pretty much just pool tables now (where's my fookin' Sega Rally!?!?).

• Advertisement

I think the main thing people have gotta remember is that UL have stacks more money than LIT and on the budget LIT have they are doing a great job visit a few of the IT's around the country and you'll understand

Hassetts pub is also beside Shelbourne and Lansdowne, hardly the worse parts of town. I agree there is a lack of pubs/anything on the Northside of town, hopefully Coonagh Cross will change this (when it ever gets going).

Anyhow, LIT isn't a million miles from town as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

having gone to both lit and ul, they are very different colleges, however it really pi**ed me off to hear people slagging off limerick. if it doesnt suit you go back to where u came from, or try and improve it.:( :(:( put up or shut up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 evilbanker

been to both colleges and ul is by far the better college. they have the best sports facilities in europe not to mention ireland. outside of munster if you told someone you go to college in limerick they presume its ul so its definatly more widely recognised. and most importantly the best week in limerick even tho it kills me to say it is ul rag week. but lit has a better atmosphere. its easier for new people to make friends in lit cause ul is too big, sit beside someone one day and you wont see them for the year. some people in lit live out in ul. and the library... lit doesnt have a library it has a common room instead. but lets be honest you dont go to college for these things you go to socalise. lit have way finer women. end of story. lit win.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

^^I've been to both too and UL's womenare way way better looking. Lit has a lot more blaoters aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Except maybe the fact it's down the road from Ballynanty?

I don't go to LIT - I go to UL - but I live in Caherdavin. I haven't been around LIT campus much so don't know what there is to do there, but there's kinda feck all to do on the North side of Limerick. There's like 3 half-decent pubs (if you count the Curragower on Clancy's Strand), but they're mostly old-man pubs. There's Jetland if you wanna race around in your Heelies and have loads of coffee and muffins (a BB's opened there recently). Then there's Fun World if you want to waste your money on shyte arcade games/go bowling/beat up some scobes on a Friday night. But beyond that, what is there?

Yeah sure you can go into town, but that requires *effort* :(

Then again Castletroy doesn't have much either. Well there's the cinema, the 2 remaining on-campus pubs, more food holes, and that dive some may call The Lodge, but not much beyond that. The clubs & soc's in UL are great, but if you're not in one there's not really much to do in the SU - there's a games room but it's pretty much just pool tables now (where's my fookin' Sega Rally!?!?).

Fun World = the suck.

Sure what about the Davin arms? not good enough for ya? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Msfc wrote:
    Ahh tiz ok, i like it even though id do ne thing for a student bar..:v:

LIT will never get a student bar. Its too residental around the place.

Never say never I can see a time when a student bar will be set up in LIT the SU block would make a great pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

sioda wrote:
    Never say never I can see a time when a student bar will be set up in LIT the SU block would make a great pub

It ain't going to happen seriously.

There are planning permission restrictions for that entire campus because of the residental area its in. We talked about this with the head of enterprise last year. They've bought a **** ton of land for a new car park though. Badly needed too.

• Advertisement

It was said COACT would never get RTC status it did then that we wouldn't hold onto IT status but we expanded and it did.

For years we were promised a SU building and again it arrived.

I believe that a bar will eventually appear in LIT. The planning restrictions are mainly objection based from a few ould biddys living in the area who are not going to be here forever.

Advertisement