Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is LIT THAT Good a college?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭morbo

I went to LIT. It is a hole. There is no social life, no fun, and no optional extras if you will. It’s just like an extension to secondary school. And now for some more bad news, anybody studying computers or multimedia in LIT? That’s what I studied. You are unemployable! Congratulations. Same goes for pretty much every other course in LIT outside of civil eng (probably business). I’m now in UL studying law. I have career prospects. I have things to do during my break that don’t involve going to the canteen and listening to loud obnoxious pop music from the latest ‘DJ’ trying to drum-up support for his pub, or risk infection by playing pool in the SU. Get out while you can. I.T.’s are horrible places. They are not universities, they are something less. Employers won’t want to hire you if you’re up against someone with a university degree. It’s cold hard fact. (Unless of course they graduated from an I.T. and are still in denial about how **** they are. But hey, that’s never going to be an issue anyway, because I.T. grads are never really in a position to be ‘employers’.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

morbo, you dont seem to know what you are talking about i did applied computing. I graduated last year and i had a number of job offers before i finished college as did a number of people in my class. Anyone who put in the effort looking for a job and who was willing to move outside limerick got a good job. Just because you cant get a good job is no reflection on the college. The software eng degree in lit is of a very high standard (applied computing is a bit outdated though).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Morbo another AC grad here. When I had just a diploma I went to interviews against UL full degree grads and was told by the interviewer he was glad to see a properly qualified person as against someone who swanned through a molly coddled university.

I fully agree with irishguy here its like anything else you put in the work in college and the same to get a job you will get where you wanna go.

LIT is a college that has survived very well on small funds. Morbo you obviously hated the whole college experience LIT has a great nightlife and a up to date SU building with more and more facilities each year

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

sioda wrote:
    When I had just a diploma I went to interviews against UL full degree grads and was told by the interviewer he was glad to see a properly qualified person as against someone who swanned through a molly coddled university.

oh no you didint!
    i have the best of both worlds if you want to look at that way. i've done comp sys in ul and i am currently doing the dip in civil eng in lit.

i take great offence with the opinion of your interviewer, i do agree some courses in ul are utter ****e. but, ul probably has one of the best computer programming courses in the country, dcu running a close second. it is a seriously tough course.

but you have to conceed at least that the computer facilities in lit are pretty crap. in general, if the facilities were better in lit it would be a pretty good place to go to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

The main reason the interviewer said this was coz I asked was the contact time with lecturers. Comp Sys in UL 16 hours a week in first year Applied Comp in LIT 34 hours.

He felt that the students in LIT were just more experienced.

The facilities aren't great but you will usually get a computer when you need it as against having to come into college at 7 in the morning to write up a project.

(All figures from 1998 yes I am that old)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

morbo wrote:
    You are unemployable! Congratulations. Same goes for pretty much every other course in LIT outside of civil eng (probably business). I’m now in UL studying law. I have career prospects. I have things to do during my break that don’t involve going to the canteen and listening to loud obnoxious pop music from the latest ‘DJ’ trying to drum-up support for his pub, or risk infection by playing pool in the SU. Get out while you can. I.T.’s are horrible places. They are not universities, they are something less. Employers won’t want to hire you if you’re up against someone with a university degree. It’s cold hard fact. (Unless of course they graduated from an I.T. and are still in denial about how **** they are. But hey, that’s never going to be an issue anyway, because I.T. grads are never really in a position to be ‘employers’.)

It doesn't really matter whether you've graduated from an IT or a uni, when it comes to looking for your first job in computers and multimedia. Ideally, the employers don't just want a college degree, they want to see how much was the graduate involved with using his/her course material outside college - e.g coding game engines, developing applications, etc. An IT graduate who has lived close to it, got a good degree and used his/her spare time to develop software or build computers for people is in with a brilliant chance of getting a job. Compare that to a uni grad who had only 16 hours of lectures a week, and whiled his spare time in swanky student bars and music festivals.

Also, you have to consider whether you have the aptitude and experience for a particular IT job. Say, you've got a decent Uni degree in computer systems, developed an experimental program that converts pictures to sound, and also created and coded a surrealist-themed computer game, and you're applying to a job in a bank which involves very long hours managing and maintaining systems and developing solutions for accountancy, but very good pay, you're hardly going to stand a chance of getting a job offer.

Btw, I've got a Higher Certificate in Construction, yet I don't stand any chance of getting a construction-related job. However, just because I've got a graphics portfolio, and knowledge of 3dStudioMAX, Maya and .mel scripting, I could get work in Architectural Visualization. These things I've done in my spare time made all the difference between me being screwed in life and me getting some kind of a start.

I didn't apply for that job, I've decided to get an honours degree in Digital Content Design in UL.

Can anybody here link me to a site about cheap UL accommodation?
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

I'm a 2nd Year student @ LIT! Theres nothing to do here. Everything sucks!

The Student Union building is a tip!

Anyone agree?

I agree with you 100% there is just to many things wrong with the place that ive stated in some other threads so excuse me if i dont repeat myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭RINO87

all the new recording studios and audio/video editing suites are really top notch. granted they have been promised for years, but they were really worth the wait. music tech and video+sound now have essentially their own building, ALOT better than 8A113!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

^ Better than UL?

Advertisement