Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Recorder + Home Theatre (+Harddrive??)

• 09-02-2006 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Hi,

In order to minimise the number of boxes under the tele, I want to have everything rolled into one. So, a decent home theatre + DVD recorder, and maybe a harddrive also for recording and storage.

I have seen Sony and Phillips offerings of Home theatre and DVD recorder combined, however the prices charged are crazy. Sony sell the home theatre separately for €239, and the dvd recorder for about €239 as single units, but yet when they combine them into one, the price manages to escalate to €679:eek: . Similar with Philips, although their combo is a more reasonable €469.

What I'm confused about is why does there appear to be very little demand for this product? Do most people like to have their DVD recorder and home theatre as separate systems? Makes no sense to me.

And it looks like i'll be waiting another while until they introduce a 80gig harddrive into the mix... Haven't even seen one of these yet...

Does anyone know of anything coming down the line that will satisfy me, at a reasonable price??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Seperates are the way to go. The main reason is that you can pick and choose the bits and bobs yourself. i.e. if you want to upgrade your DVD player, you can do so without having to buy a new amp etc. It also is better for repairs because what happens if the dvd tray breaks on an all in one box? The whole thing goes back for repair or is a write off and you have to buy the whole shebang again even though other parts might be working perfectly.

You have to add up the prices of the individual components that you are looking for to assess the value. At the moment, you are talking, €200+ for a HD recorder, €200+ for the amp and decoders, and say €150+ for the speakers. As you can see this quickly adds up to €550 so the prices that you have seen are about right at the minute.

In any case, I doubt you will be waiting too long for a Home Cinema in a box to come with a HD recorder. They are coming down in price all the time so I would say some time this year you could be sorted.

L.

Advertisement