Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodgy clutch - Warranty or not?

Options
  • 09-02-2006 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Any advice appreciated.
    I bought a 01 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0 petrol from a main Hyundai dealer last April (05) with 60k on clock. They gave me a 12 month parts and labour warranty but I cannot find the document.
    Anyway, now, 10 months and 7k miles later the clutch pedal has just got very stiff and I've booked it in with them for tomorrow. However, they have told me that the clutch is a service item and not covered by warranty and if it needs a new clutch it will cost me €600!!
    I've been driving for 25 years, had cars for up to 6 years and never had to replace a clutch. My dad always warned me not to "ride" the clutch when he was teaching me to drive.

Anyway, just looking for any opinions, will I have to pay for the clutch in full or do I have any comeback?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd say probably not unfortunately.

Generally a limited warranty will cover engine gearbox and transmission, excluding wear items such as brakes and clutch.

Dig out your docs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

there is a chance that somebody was pulling trailer with this jeep(if car has a towbar)

ring other Hyundai and ask them if you buy car of them would the timing belt (which is also servicable part ) and clutch is covered by warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Fr Dougal wrote:
    12 month parts and labour warranty but I cannot find the document.
    The clutch is a part, not a service item.
    Service items are things which are recommended to change every x miles, like the timing belt.
    Of couse they're all a pack of cowboys anyway.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A battery is also a part but if you buy a second hand car with the original battery in it and it dies after 2 months then it would more than likely not be covered by the warranty that you got with the used car. Parts that usually have a short life expectancy are classed as consumables are usually not covered by warranty. These include batteries, tyres, bulbs, etc.

I'm not sure though if a clutch is classed as a consumable to be honest.

If sounds to me like the last owner(s) of the Santa Fe was heavy on the clutch, as already mentioned it was probably used for pulling a trailer or horsebox, etc. While these type vehicles might not see much off road action it is quite common for them to be used to tow heavy loads. Even though the towbar can be removed a tell tail sign is to check the rear bumper and body work for scuffs/scraps and dents where the trailer was attached.

You could contact the SIMI and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Had the same problem with my old Hyundai Coupe. I think Hyundai make them out of jelly. Not covered by warranty, and the part alone cost over €250.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

It is highly unlikely a petrol 4x4 would be used for towing anything more than the occasional horsebox to a gymkhana.

I suspect it is just a case of tough luck, but well worth having an argument over. Toyota covered a new clutch in our 02 avensis because it lasted only 10mths and wasnt burnt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

very unlikely that the clutch is covered. release bearings always going on 2.0 Hyundais. clutches seem to be a weak point on Hyundais

Advertisement