Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Going from a 03 to a 99/98, extra running costs and hassle?

Options
  • 09-02-2006 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

I currently drive a 2003 1.4 Focus but I been thinking of changing to a 98/99 Mitsubishi Lancer or Colt Mivec (1.6) for ages now,

However being a student I've kept telling myself to just keep the focus until i finish college because i fear upkeep of a older car would be more expensive,

so i was wondering what kind of money would i be looking at to keep a mivec in top condition over a year? extra petrol costs are not a problem i want to know about servicing, getting parts et...

any help will be very much appreciated

D|R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=342413

looking at something like that, anyone got an helpfull info?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Never go back in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

its not the age of the car, its how well it has been looked after, in theory your 2003 focus could be in worse condition than a 98 lancer

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Never go back in years.

I went back 3 years from a 00 1.2 Opel Corsa to a 97 2.2 Vtec Honda Accord. That said though, my reason was I wanted a larger more confortable car, and the accord has cruise control, a/c, full leather, all electrics. I also had €1000 change at the end, and intend driving it until it no longer can be repaired.

I don't know what the OP's reason for changing is. The car given as an example, just seems very expensive for an 8 year old car even if it does have a bonnet vent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Lancers tend to be fairly solid, I know one of my mates had a few issues with a jap colt, some kind of electrical problem but i think in general they're a decent motor like all jap cars. Heggies right tho i wouldnt worry about the years its milage, service history and how well she's been driven that counts.

Carb nice motor I love those accords and the 2.2s are rockets!

• Advertisement

pclancy wrote:
    Carb nice motor I love those accords and the 2.2s are rockets!

And only cost me 2.5K with 76k miles:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Carb wrote:
    I went back 3 years from a 00 1.2 Opel Corsa to a 97 2.2 Vtec Honda Accord.

Thats some jump!
    Much difference in performance?:D

Onkle51 wrote:
    Thats some jump!
    Much difference in performance?:D

As big of difference as there is in fuel economy.:D

Seriously though, its nice to have the power there when your overtaking, and its not one of these cars that kind of encourage you to go faster, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lancers are a bit of a poor man's Civic?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I was almost considering the same thing, but me being a student like you took the following into consideration:

Tax
    Fuel
    Insurance

... When I thought about it, I copped on, I simply could not afford it being a student. Students need to have fun, if I changed my car for something more powerful id have no social life and id probably end up in the priesthood for being so boring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I don't see the point myself. More cost and really only to buy a car thats only good point is that is nippy rather then a "special" driving experience. When all around you theres speed traps and points, you'd be better driving something smaller that more special. Unless you are going to Max Power it. Then theres no point giving you sane advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Never go back in years.

Absolute bollocks. In fact the opposite is true - always go by milage and condition, not just a digit on the reg plate.

If the milage on the carzone link there is genuine then you have absolute nothing to worry about in regards to extra running costs (esp it being a jap engine). Definately no problem getting parts, servicing etc for a Colt.

Just be ultra thorough checking everything before you buy - get it up on a ramp if possible aswell as all the usual stuff (ask for the auction sheet etc), but after all that I'd say go for it.

Sure whats an 03 Focus worth.. 14k or so? You'll have change left over to play with..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Carb wrote:
    I don't know what the OP's reason for changing is. The car given as an example, just seems very expensive for an 8 year old car even if it does have a bonnet vent

LOL! Have to agree, €10k for an 8 year old Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 is ridiculous

@OP, why did you even consider that car? :confused:

Boy racers love them. Fast and Furious was on the other night aswell. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Boy racers love them. Fast and Furious was on the other night aswell. :D

No, That was 2Fast2Furious ;)

And that lancer for 10k looks brutal :x Stick with the focus or just get your self a Polo or Punto Or something.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

HungryJoey wrote:
    No, That was 2Fast2Furious ;)

And that lancer for 10k looks brutal :x Stick with the focus or just get your self a Polo or Punto Or something.

Or if you really want a hot Lancer save up for a few years and buy a real Evo not a fake one.

As far as running costs for older cars go IMO the age is not really that important. I have ran 8-15 year old cars for far less than the cost some of my mates have spent keeping 2-4 year old cars on the road.

If you pick the right car, one that has been looked after properly and is generally reliable to begin with then old and even high-mileage cars can be cheap to run as well as cheap to buy.

John R wrote:
    Or if you really want a hot Lancer save up for a few years and buy a real Evo not a fake one.

Thats a good point but I was thinking what if i get too old and end up just driving a mondeo or something? :)

Just getting a bit bored with the focus so i was looking at the idea of changing to an older car with more power, was looking at civic's but there's loads of them around and they seem to be harder to insure.

as for the max power thing i dont want one thats done up or tries to look like an evo or whatever actually prefer ones like....

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=342417

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=227123

pretty standard, am not into modified cars

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I wonder about those miles...

Also the "mivec" bit might mess up your insurance a little.

Nothing wrong with driving a mondeo, it has a more competent chassis than the lancer, and with the right engine a lot faster. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

Used to own a '91 Lancer GTI. Of all the cars that i have owned from SAABs to Mercs to BMWs it is today one of the only cars that i still rave on about.

Drove that car like a madman (calmed down now) and never gave me any hassle.

If i ever get more space that will be one of my first purchases....

maidhc wrote:
    I wonder about those miles...

Also the "mivec" bit might mess up your insurance a little.

Nothing wrong with driving a mondeo, it has a more competent chassis than the lancer, and with the right engine a lot faster. :)

well you know what i mean about the mondeo :)

i've asked about the mivec bit with my insurance company and to change is only €300 extra on top of what i paid for the focus insurance.

i just wanna have a little fun when i'm young, if a mivec isnt the way then any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

draffodx wrote:
    i just wanna have a little fun when i'm young, if a mivec isnt the way then any other suggestions?

A focus TDCi :)

HungryJoey wrote:
    No, That was 2Fast2Furious ;)....

Both equally brutal...

draffodx wrote:
    ...i just wanna have a little fun when i'm young, if a mivec isnt the way then any other suggestions?

Are we still talking about cars?

maidhc wrote:
    A focus TDCi :)

not a bad idea must look into that

Are we still talking about cars?

:d yes we are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

mk iv golf td with the red i? very powerful but ul pay for it, or alternatively, a golf mk3 gti, great car and ul get it for buttons probably
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=333139

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

draffodx wrote:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=342413

looking at something like that, anyone got an helpfull info?

Imagine how stupid you would feel the first time a real evo over takes your make believo.

If you want a lancer, the GSR is worth considering. Selling the focus should leave you enough money to purchase a gsr and insure it for the next two years (depending how much you pay for it of course).

draffodx wrote:

What are you looking for? Something fast? Something that looks fast? Is fun a straight line or is fun a backroad?

If you are considering a colt mivec, also consider a vtec civic (ctr/sir), pug 106 gti, whatever the hot version of the saxo is called, starlet gt/glanza (insurance might be tricky on these), skyline, 180sx, s14 and so on. The list is really endless. If you could be clearer about what you want it would be helpful.

bp_me wrote:
    Imagine how stupid you would feel the first time a real evo over takes your make believo.

If you want a lancer, the GSR is worth considering. Selling the focus should leave you enough money to purchase a gsr and insure it for the next two years (depending how much you pay for it of course).

What are you looking for? Something fast? Something that looks fast? Is fun a straight line or is fun a backroad?

If you are considering a colt mivec, also consider a vtec civic (ctr/sir), pug 106 gti, whatever the hot version of the saxo is called, starlet gt/glanza (insurance might be tricky on these), skyline, 180sx, s14 and so on. The list is really endless. If you could be clearer about what you want it would be helpful.

No it doesnt have to look fast just be relatively quick on acceleration really i wouldn't be too bothered about top speed.

was looking for a 106 gti but finding a good one that hasnt been modified or trashed about the place proved very difficult.

Fiat Coupe? Seriously quick for the money.

I think a 1.6 petrol is as about as far as i can stretch my insurance

• Advertisement
Advertisement