Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing from little car to something bigger?

Options
  • 09-02-2006 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

I am thinking of changing my Peugeot 206 and would like advice on what to choose. I have recently changed jobs and the road to work is really dreadful it’s a half hour drive over bog road and I’m sick of my little car bouncing all over the road. I was thinking of getting something bigger like a Honda CRV. What are they like fuel consumptions wise? Or any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Get a golf TDI , smooth car to drive looks good and its comfortable , im selling my GT TDI at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭edengarden

Ha thanks but no thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

CRV or any SUV are not the last word in comfort really. They will because of height, weight, and redundant 4x4, be relatively heavy on fuel. The handling and braking of SUV's will be inferior too, becausue of height causing body roll, and unsprung weight which works the brakes hard.

Perhaps you'd note your 5 highest priorities and we could recommend something based on those.

Ok priority 1. - would be easy to drive -e.g my boyfriends diesel car i find the clutch and accelerator really heavy and i can't drive it. Also must have good visibility - my car has loads of blind spots.

2. Safety - i have a little one and I feel a bit vulnerable on the road in my PUG

3. As in my previous post I am travelling on really dreadful roads - so something suitable for boggy, country roads.

4. Fuel consumption - I can't afford a gas guzzler.

5. Comfort (i suppose that ties in with 3.)

Would be grateful for recommendations! Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

edengarden wrote:
    Ok priority 1. - would be easy to drive -e.g my boyfriends diesel car i find the clutch and accelerator really heavy and i can't drive it. Also must have good visibility - my car has loads of blind spots.

2. Safety - i have a little one and I feel a bit vulnerable on the road in my PUG

3. As in my previous post I am travelling on really dreadful roads - so something suitable for boggy, country roads.

Would be grateful for recommendations! Thanks guys!

Maybe something like a Toyota Rav4. They are available in 1.8 and 2 wheel drive. Should be able to handle pot holes too. They are lighter than the Honda CR-V so would be more fuel effiecent especially the 1.8.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=358156
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=226250
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=331898

Another alternative is the smaller Honda HR-V which is not really a SUV more like a tall car with big tyres . It comes in 1.6 so should be fairly economical. It is also available with 2 wheel drive.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=349772
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=346080

• Advertisement

Cheers BaZZ26! Appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

1) A car being diesel has nothing to do with the heaviness of the clutch or accelerator, so dont rule diesel out on that basis. For poor roads they are much easier to drive and require less stirring of the gearbox... not to mention having better fuel economy.

2) A mini 4x4 will hardly be much of an advantage here. Apart from being far less stable than a car, they wont stop as well and dont seem to have much more passanger protection.

3) Any family car will handle rough roads fine so long as it doesnt have 17" alloys and low profile tyres. No matter what you get you will go through bushings pretty easily and your tracking will nearly always be a bit off. Been there done that.

4) Diesel, and what ever else certainly not a petrol 4x4.

5) I dont know much about small 4x4s, but the bigger ones are far from being as comfortable as a car.

A Golf TDI seems like a good idea, as does a passat, avensis, mondeo, primera or anything else of that sort of size.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

edengarden wrote:

1/. Most modern cars qualify.
    2/. Again very few ruled out.
    3/. Something with a good ride comfort. No sporty yokes with lowered or hard suspension.
    4/. How may miles p.a? If you do a lot a modern diesel might be good. Lower running costs and good residuals.
    5/. Yes I agree.

Perhaps a smallish MPV would fit the bill? The likes of a Meriva, Zafira, Focus C-Max, Scenic, or Picasso. Lots of glass so good visibilty (need a/c however) and decent comfort. Safe and child friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

1/. Diesel / Clutch - As stated, all diesels do not have hard clutches, so do not rule this out. WRT being easy to drive, a bigger, taller SUV will be harder to drive.
    2/. Safety - In some circles it is believed that SUV's are less safe due to the false sense of security and the higher centre of gravity.
    3/. The higher you sit off the road, the more amplified the bumps will be. Also, when going around bends there is a greater pendulum effect on the occupants of an SUV. Also, avoid cars with low profile tyres, and stiff suspensions if you are driving on bad roads.
    4/. Fuel consumption, generally, the bigger and heavier the car, the less economical it is.
    5/. Comfort - See point 3.

In summary, the last cars you should be looking at are SUV's. As previously stated, a decent, high NCAP scoring car on standard tyres would be more suitable. If you are soing over 20000 miles a year look for a diesel, although with the newer 1.6 and 1.4 diesels, this figure can be reduced to 15ooo miles upwards.

My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

maidhc wrote:
    A Golf TDI seems like a good idea, as does a passat, avensis, mondeo, primera or anything else of that sort of size.

I agree with that.

If I was you I'd go with a diesel family saloon will soak up the bumps. Any decent sized saloon or large hatchback like a Golf will give you that feeling of security. The Citroens well known for their ability to soak up the bumps. Or something like a Peugeot. My folks have a Turbo Diesel Astra and its light to drive. But the suspension is a bit stiff which I like, but you might not. Basically test drive a few different cars to get an idea of what you like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement