Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclubs II - Pensioners Choice.

Options
  • 09-02-2006 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Seeing as the other thread concentrates pretty much exclusively on clubs for the learner drinker, I thought id ask around for the clubs/late bars that us older folk frequent. By older i mean the 25-35 crowd.

Myself, i like the village and rira (although im pretty sick to the back teeth of both at this stage).

Anyway, always looking for other options so post any other decent places.

For the benefit of the younger viewers, let me pre-empt your jokes with:

LOLZ SACHS HOTEL, JOYS, GRAB A GRANNY LOLZ

THere:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

The Village is the top dog at the moment, IMHO. Best looking crowd, lots of beautiful people...and when you can look past myself and the lads, there are many lovely women to appreciate! Boom-boom. Never been to Ri-Ra but have heard it is good - myself and the other old fogies I hang around with dislike dance or drum'n'bass type electronica, and would try to avoid those places that play the same. I've had a good night in many different places in Dublin, so I guess it depends who you're with rather than where you are! As long as the ugly young 'uns are not around, of course, seeing their undeveloped features are enough to make one cringe :)

Actually forgot about D2, that is an alright place with a great crowd on Friday nights...not so good on Saturdays in my opinion.

The problem with clubs trying to target a 25+ age group is the minute the youngsters hear about it, they think they are missing out on something special and start to infiltrate :) We must resist the ongoing encroachment of the early 20-somethings!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ive heard D2 is alright, havent been there since it opened. Must give it a go some night.

I was in Howl at the Men (sic) 2 weeks ago for the first time in about 10 years and i hate to admit it, but i had a blast. The place was stuffed with people who had just got paid and were intent on drinking heavily and having a laugh. First time in a long time i havent felt towards the older end of the scale and still had fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

I'm going to go to these places (I'm 18) to wreck their mature atmosphere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

What about us over-35s? I'm too young for the scrapheap :v:

• Advertisement

I'm going to go to these places (I'm 18) to wreck their mature atmosphere!
    No, we don't want you young 'uns! Unless you're a female supermodel...then only maybe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The Gaiety(sp?) does over 25s night AFAIK, can't remember which night, its either friday or saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

25 is "older crowd"??? Crap! I better enjoy my last 7 months of being 24!!! :eek: :(

rb_ie wrote:
    The Gaiety(sp?) does over 25s night AFAIK, can't remember which night, its either friday or saturday.
    Unfortunatly its terrible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Bojangles on Harcourt Street has an older crowd. 30s and into 40s are to be found there. It is not bad.

• Advertisement

Flukey wrote:
    Bojangles on Harcourt Street has an older crowd. 30s and into 40s are to be found there. It is not bad.
    It sucks :) Sorry to be the bearer of true news, but that's a fact. Go to D2 instead, unless you want 35+ women pinching your ass! Just back from synnots, lots of pretty women ready to be chatted up, I recommend it heartily :)

The thing about any of these places is that what usually makes the night is the friends you are with. If you really want to go to a pensioners choice, try Barry's Hotel, which a few friends and myself have nicknamed "the seventy somethings". :) However, last year a gang of us had a great night there, but mainly because there was a gang of us. We'd all be in our 30s. The place itself and the clientele were not great, but we had fun and we are planning to go back again soon. So you can be in the biggest dive in the world, but if you are with the right people, you can have a great time.

went to D2 last night. Had a pretty good time, best smoking area in any pub ive been to. Defo gonna hit that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ClareBear wrote:
    25 is "older crowd"??? Crap! I better enjoy my last 7 months of being 24!!! :eek: :(

Count yourself lucky , I'm at 16 days and counting. I'm so close I can see the old coming up the road.

Nearly 25? Sure you're nothing but a child. :)

Hitting 30 is tough. From your 29th birthday, it preys on your mind. Funnily enough though, 31 and beyond is no bother. Still a bit off 39, but I suppose something of the 29 feel will kick in again for the year after that. Of course they do say that life begins at 40, so it probably won't be so bad. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm at higher end of that dreaded age group and had a good laugh in Voodoo lounge recently, fussball table, nice outdoor area and didnt seem too young..*

I know they are not clubs but the Dice bar and Sin E are cool bars, with good tunes and a mixed crowd, age-wise.

* drink tinted glasses highly probable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ionapaul wrote:
    No, we don't want you young 'uns! Unless you're a female supermodel...then only maybe :)

or you do poster campagains for FAS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

if the model in that FAS ad posts on this forum, could she please make herself known. Is she interested in acquiring a a male slave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

30 was no problem for me, 32 was the shock for some reason, though I'm settling into it now. Where's D2? What kind of music does it Play? It's so long since I've been to a club or had a decent night out:( Thought there was nothing for 25-35 age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

30 was no problem for me, 32 was the shock for some reason, though I'm settling into it now. Where's D2? What kind of music does it Play? It's so long since I've been to a club or had a decent night out:( Thought there was nothing for 25-35 age group.

D2 is on harcourt street, just before you cross to go over to the odean / craw daddies. Its okay, but can get sick of it very easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Good thread this.

So far we have:
    The Village.
    Ri-Ra
    D2
    Barrys Hotel
    Howl at the Moon.
    The Gaiety

D2 is fairy neutral on the age front, lots of different age I suppose.

I cant think of any clubs as such, probably because I dont go to them anymore.

Whats that pub called on South Anne St, its an Irish sounding name. That would be our age bracket, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Whats that pub called on South Anne St, its an Irish sounding name. That would be our age bracket, I suppose.

Kehoes, just remembered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Dakota on George's Street has a varied age group....Hogans, Market Bar seem to have an older crowd too.

I was in Capital Bar, The Village, Dakota and Ri-Ra over the two nights last weekend, didn't feel old in any of them, lots of much older people in Dakota actually (lots of poseurs in that place). That said I'm only 29 and can still party with the best of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

ClareBear wrote:

Ditto! Im 25 in June!!!!:eek:

We need a 25+ boards beers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Buskers on Friday and Saturday is also a good one:D

A gang of us hit Barry's again last night. We're all well past 30. We still felt very young in the place. We didn't go in too early, as it is better to let all the people with the zimmer frames in first. The DJ made Larry Gogan look like a child. The music was quite a mix, something in there for everyone. There were a load of Scotsmen in there, whose kilts had all seen better days. There is no problem getting a taxi at the end, because most people leave in ambulances or hearses. It is a good thing the place is near the Mater hospital. The last time we were there, myself and a friend saw two women sitting together. One was much older than the other. Myself and my friend joked between ourselves that they were probably mother and daughter. We happened to get talking to them later on and it turned out that they were!!!! :) The place is so bad, it is good! There were 11 of us together there last night, which makes the difference. We had a great time! :) So if you can get a good gang together, you can have fun there.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

knightsbridge bar in the arlington hotel has a lively and partying atmosphere at weekends. but even though its a hugh bar it gets a bit too crowded and hot. its at oconnell bridge ,northside.i'd say its mostly tourists partying there but lots of dubs also. has a night club downstairs but it gets too full also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

Rockee wrote:
    Ditto! Im 25 in June!!!!:eek:
    Ha I'm turning 30 in a few weeks. Birthday celebrations - about 2 grand. Time off work - about another grand and a half. Planning to celebrate it with my medal winning gymnast 18 year old girlfriend - priceless.

Please don't ban me.

:D

Advertisement