Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV have sank to a new low!

• 09-02-2006 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

I have just seen on the UTV support newsgroup that they have changed their cap policy. The cap now includes uploads. So not only have they the worst cap allowance, in practice it is even lower than it looks. 12 gig for 2Mb line is bad enough but with the new arrangement that will work out worse for some people than the previous 8Gig cap!!

It really makes my blood boil to see a company so engulfed by greed that it looses complete sight of its customers. I'm waiting for BT to connect so I'll be gone soon. I'd urge everyone else to get out as fast as you can. Please dont support a company that has become greedier than Eircom and even more dismissive of their customers. I know it's a pain to move but right is right.

BT are 30 gig up and 30 gig down for the 3Mb line. UTV are 20 Gig and that will probably really mean 14 to 16. You really would need you head examined to stay with them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Well done for (to use the clichés) "shopping around", "voting with your feet", etc. If we all were like you, we'd have a hell of a lot less noise about IBB/BT/etc. Hope the transition is smooth. Make sure to tell UTV why you're moving!

.cg

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I read about that this morning on the newsgroup. I already had the transfer forms printed out, now they are signed and faxed off. DD form in the post this evening. I haven't changed any packages and haven't received any notification. I'm at about 9gb transfer so far, but I signd up for a 8gb download limit, so I don't think i'll get a reminder till I go higher...

Notification guys - did you change packages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

can u post a direct link.. im think im going to jump ship soon.. iv noticed i have been going over my cap [8gb] the last few months....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

can u post a direct link.. im think im going to jump ship soon.. iv noticed i have been going over my cap [8gb] the last few months....

the support group is a news group so you need to set it up in a news reader.

news.utvinternet.com and then utv.support (from memory!)

Valentia wrote:
    I have just seen on the UTV support newsgroup that they have changed their cap policy. The cap now includes uploads. So not only have they the worst cap allowance, in practice it is even lower than it looks. 12 gig for 2Mb line is bad enough but with the new arrangement that will work out worse for some people than the previous 8Gig cap!!

It really makes my blood boil to see a company so engulfed by greed that it looses complete sight of its customers. I'm waiting for BT to connect so I'll be gone soon. I'd urge everyone else to get out as fast as you can. Please dont support a company that has become greedier than Eircom and even more dismissive of their customers. I know it's a pain to move but right is right.

BT are 30 gig up and 30 gig down for the 3Mb line. UTV are 20 Gig and that will probably really mean 14 to 16. You really would need you head examined to stay with them.

This losing sight of customers is not new by any means and the 'greed's stuff as exemplified by the 12 month contracts to avail of new products etc was an early indication of it that sadly most customers chose to ignore at the time or maybe just failed to appreciate what it signalled on the part of UTV. The best way to hold on to customers is good products and good service not trap them in contracts or 'deceive' them with supposedly high caps.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I was going through the utv.support group last night checking up on a thread back in April 05 about having to return the modem and I noticed that back then UTV were ignoring queries about the poor caps.

Anyways I rang BT this morning and my transfer to them is working its way through their internal processes and to be honest I wonder if its out of the frying pan and into the fire but at the end of the day it has to be done if only to show UTV that people will get sick of them being a lacklustre performer..

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

Valentia wrote:
    I'd urge everyone else to get out as fast as you can. Please dont support a company that has become greedier than Eircom and even more dismissive of their customers. I know it's a pain to move but right is right.

I couldn't agree more. UTV have effectively reduced their caps when everyone else has increased.

Not alone that, its the way they have done it. They have again changed the terms and conditions for long standing customers without telling them. I can see UTV without any customers soon. Maybe that's the way they want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Very short sighted decision by UTV . Time to be moving on. Is there much downtime involved in switching service provider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The Muppet wrote:
    .....Is there much downtime involved in switching service provider?
    None, as long as you're moving to another Eircom reseller.

parsi wrote:
    I was going through the utv.support group last night checking up on a thread back in April 05 about having to return the modem and I noticed that back then UTV were ignoring queries about the poor caps.

Anyways I rang BT this morning and my transfer to them is working its way through their internal processes and to be honest I wonder if its out of the frying pan and into the fire but at the end of the day it has to be done if only to show UTV that people will get sick of them being a lacklustre performer..

Be careful about returning the modem - in their 'new' Terms and Conditions UTV make reference to not releasing your line until the modem has been returned to them - this is a new departure as far as I am aware on the part of any ISP.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dub45 wrote:
    Be careful about returning the modem - in their 'new' Terms and Conditions UTV make reference to not releasing your line until the modem has been returned to them - this is a new departure as far as I am aware on the part of any ISP.

Ohhh thats nasty !!!! . They are obviously not providing a service until the agreed end of contract because they are forcing you to send back the modem during that contract term though.

I wonder if the OP could clarify this Term with Comreg , modems should be sent back after the contract ends otherwise the contract ends sooner because the modem has been sent back meaning you may not avail of service ...14 days is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As I type I'm working from home waiting for the NTL engineer to arrive with my cable modem. Good riddance to UTV...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the warning about having to send back the modem. I signed up with UTV about 2 years ago, does this still apply? I'm just waiting on forms from BT in the post to change over, should I send my Prestige Zyxel modem off to UTV so? I've got a netgear wireless set up so it's no problem:)

Anyone know where I have to send it to?

cormie wrote:
    Thanks for the warning about having to send back the modem. I signed up with UTV about 2 years ago, does this still apply? I'm just waiting on forms from BT in the post to change over, should I send my Prestige Zyxel modem off to UTV so? I've got a netgear wireless set up so it's no problem:)

Anyone know where I have to send it to?

Their current (well last weeks) Terms and Conditions give two separate addresses for returns - one for a Creative and one for a Voyager - they make no reference to the Zyxels. They also say they have to be returned within 14days of teh effective date of termination.

Just off the phone:

The address is:

UTV Internet
    Havelock House
    Ormeau Road
    Belfast BT7 1EB

I'd advise registering it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I'm absolutely disgusted with this............

I hit the limit and have been suspended as per my choice, however I've had no way to know the Terms had changed, as a customer I shouldn't have to consistently read the Terms nor should I have to search the Support Newsgroup.......it's madness.....
    Anyway, I've only downloaded just over 16GB (so obviously under the apparent and advertised 20GB cap) but with the change in calculations this is no longer the package I've been using for the last year.......it's crazy.....

Can I get download the Transfer docs from BT now online ?
    I'm leaving asap, what makes this slightly worse is that I mailed the Admin staff in UTV to ask them to reinstate account for the rest of the month and I'd pay and also to explain the Unlimited version of the package, they have yet to reply and I sent that email at the weekend.......I'm not going to chase them - and I shouldn't have to do that as a customer........anyway, enough I've been amazed at how they've changed and slipped over the last couple of years, from a first class ISP (in my opionion) to what they are now.....

Stevo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

I upgraded from a 1mb to a 2mb line. Then about 4 months later I was doing a bit of travelling and decided to downgrade the line while I was gone, the feckers charged me 60 bucks for the downgrade. I will be moving to another isp as soon as i get back!!!!

UTv should realise that word-of-mouth built them up and it's going to knock them down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

I've just moved from IBB to UTV and I find it fantastic.Well anything would be fantastic compared to IBB though. hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I was in the process of signing up for UTV. Due to them not contacting me to inform me of a problem with my order I decided I would once again check if NTL was available (I used to do this frequently). It turned out it was just available that week. I am so happy I didn't sign with UTV in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

NIBBS wrote:

Here ya go.
    DSL Transfer Authorisation Form.doc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

thanks kaizersoze,

much appreciated.......was on the chat to a Sales rep on the website earlier and he said I'd have to ring the sales number, didn't understand why he couldn't just take my details there and then.......

cheers,
    NIBBS

Here is the excerpt from the new Terms and Conditions relevant to the modem and its return.
    16.4 Upon termination for any reason, you will be responsible for returning the Creative modem and microfilters back to UTV Internet at the following address: UTV Internet, Unit 5, Portmarnock Shopping Mall, Strand Road, Portmarnock, Co Dublin 4 at your expense. A Voyager Modem shall be returned to TNS Distribution Ltd., Unit 5 Keypoint Business Park, Rosemount, Ballycoolin Road, Blanchardstown, Dublin 11, Ireland at your expense. Failure to return the modem and microfilters within 14 days of the effective date of termination shall result in UTV Internet debiting €40.00 from your Bank Account/Credit Card for the equipment and you hereby expressly consent to such debit.
    The line will not be ceased until the modem is returned to the appropriate destination. Upon receipt of your modem, UTV Internet will cease your service with our supplier.

Holding on to a customer's line is a new departure.

Once again I want to draw attention to UTV's blurb on the Clicksillver page which states
    CONNECTION

€29.99

Set Up Fee includes Modem and Post & Packaging

Surely UTV should be required to indicate upfront that you do not own the modem and that there are draconian penalties for not returning it? there is no indication whatsoever there that the modem is not owned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

NIBBS wrote:
    I'm absolutely disgusted with this............

I hit the limit and have been suspended as per my choice, however I've had no way to know the Terms had changed, as a customer I shouldn't have to consistently read the Terms nor should I have to search the Support Newsgroup.......it's madness.....
    Anyway, I've only downloaded just over 16GB (so obviously under the apparent and advertised 20GB cap) but with the change in calculations this is no longer the package I've been using for the last year.......it's crazy.....

I'm leaving asap, what makes this slightly worse is that I mailed the Admin staff in UTV to ask them to reinstate account for the rest of the month and I'd pay and also to explain the Unlimited version of the package, they have yet to reply and I sent that email at the weekend.......I'm not going to chase them - and I shouldn't have to do that as a customer........anyway, enough I've been amazed at how they've changed and slipped over the last couple of years, from a first class ISP (in my opionion) to what they are now.....

Stevo

My father just called and said he received an e-mail saying that we went over the cap, except I never received ANY information about the 20gig cap being upload and download. Since i left this morning I downloaded and uploaded a lot and surely went over the 20 gigs by a lot

I don't see how i went up to 20gigs in only 10 days + no way do i want to pay for something i haven't been informed by.
    What to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

christ utv seem to get more and more mean.

When i moved into my new place the lines couldn't take broadband at first so i signed up for utvip xl dial up...when broaband 4 months later i went back to utv and asked could i move my account over to thier Broadband product...i was charged over 100 euro for early release from the dialup contract:rolleyes:

dub45 wrote:

I returned mine to them today - registered post to Havelock House and sent an email advsing them of same. I've never used it so there's no sense in holding on to it and they getting odd over it just as my transfer reaches a critical point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As I type I'm working from home waiting for the NTL engineer to arrive with my cable modem. Good riddance to UTV...
    Installation done. As I type I have cables running all over the place two seperate wireless networks providing bandwidth from two different ISP's. Once I've finished off the last few gigs of UTV bandwidth I'll be sendig them back their modem and filters and flogging my DG834G. One ISP is enough for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 KOR1

Can anyone tell me whether it is legal for UTV to change the terms and conditions of service without first giving notice?

It seems to me that it cannot be, and I wonder why customers take this sitting down. A claim in the small claims court is not that difficult to make, and is probably the only sort of action that UTV would pay attention to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

NIBBS wrote:
    thanks kaizersoze,

much appreciated.......was on the chat to a Sales rep on the website earlier and he said I'd have to ring the sales number, didn't understand why he couldn't just take my details there and then.......

cheers,
    NIBBS
    You'll still need BT's Broadband application form as well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

KOR1 wrote:
    Can anyone tell me whether it is legal for UTV to change the terms and conditions of service without first giving notice?
    You're right, notification must be given. Apparently these new conditions only apply to new customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 KOR1

No, you're wrong. The new terms and conditions are being applied to exisitng customers, and without notice.

Long-standing customers are receiving emails telling them they have reached their new 'transfer' allowance, without receiving any notification that the old 'download' limits no longer apply. I just can't see how that would stand up in court.

Advertisement