Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV have sank to a new low!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

OFDM wrote:
    You'll still need BT's Broadband application form as well though.
    Nah. The application is done over the phone but does not proceed until the DTAF form is returned.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

KOR1 wrote:
    No, you're wrong. The new terms and conditions are being applied to exisitng customers, and without notice.

Long-standing customers are receiving emails telling them they have reached their new 'transfer' allowance, without receiving any notification that the old 'download' limits no longer apply. I just can't see how that would stand up in court.

From UTV's terms and conditions:

22. VARIATION

UTV Internet reserves the right to vary the terms of this Agreement or the nature of the Service (where the technical specification of the Service is varied) at any time and UTV Internet will inform you of any such changes through e-mail, newsletter or such other medium, as UTV Internet considers appropriate not less than one month prior to the implementation of such variation.

Long long ago I asked them when and if they had ever notified a customer of any such changes in terms and conditions and I am still awaiting a reply.

When it suits them they quote terms and conditions very quickly equally when it suits them they ignore them. Anyone receiving any emails from them now should point out this clause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 KOR1

Yes,

And I'm surprised that anyone whose service is stopped would just take it on the chin.

I'd like to see UTV defend their position in court, because they are clearly not following their own terms. Unless they think it is reasonable for their customers to continually check their website for changes (by the way it doesn't even work properly with Firefox running adblock) I think the court would take the view that an email to customers would have been easy to do, and the reasonable thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

The UTV clicksilver site clearly states that its a download limit.

http://www.utvclicksilver.com/clicksilver.asp

Surely, UTV are wrong to unilaterally change this to both download and upload whilst still advertising it as a download limit to lure customers in.

This must surely be unethical to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭ando

woah, how times change. I remember utv were being praised beyond believe on here

• Advertisement

KOR1 wrote:
    No, you're wrong. The new terms and conditions are being applied to exisitng customers, and without notice.

Long-standing customers are receiving emails telling them they have reached their new 'transfer' allowance, without receiving any notification that the old 'download' limits no longer apply. I just can't see how that would stand up in court.
    Didn't some one post in another thread that UTV announced in their newsgroup that existing customers were being upgraded to the new caps automatically without affecting their old T & C's but it doesn't come into effect until the 1st of March? So you'll still be on their old caps until then?
    Lionheart wrote:
    The UTV clicksilver site clearly states that its a download limit.

http://www.utvclicksilver.com/clicksilver.asp

Surely, UTV are wrong to unilaterally change this to both download and upload whilst still advertising it as a download limit to lure customers in.

This must surely be unethical to say the least.
    They seem to be keeping all bases covered.
    On this page (http://www.utvclicksilver.com/index.asp), They just refer to it as a "connection cap".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

ando wrote:
    woah, how times change. I remember utv were being praised beyond believe on here
    Also where is their hands on guy who used to post the way here Gareth from Smart does.
    I forget his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

KOR1 wrote:
    As kaiser has said you're wrong. The new cap may be applied to old customers but the new T&C are not.

The old T&C require notification of a change - none has ever been given. Also I'm still charged €29.99 as in the old T&C unlike new customers who were charged €31.99 up until these new packages were announced.

OFDM wrote:
    As kaiser has said you're wrong. The new cap may be applied to old customers but the new T&C are not.

The old T&C require notification of a change - none has ever been given. Also I'm still charged €29.99 as in the old T&C unlike new customers who were charged €31.99 up until these new packages were announced.
    New customers are only charged €31.99 if they don't sign up to the UTV Talk phone service. Otherwise it's €29.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

kaizersoze wrote:
    New customers are only charged €31.99 if they don't sign up to the UTV Talk phone service. Otherwise it's €29.99.
    Ah I see, however it still makes the point of the T&C not being changed as I'm on €29.99 and never signed up to UTV Talk.
    kaizersoze wrote:
    Nah. The application is done over the phone but does not proceed until the DTAF form is returned.
    What's the BT address you send it to after you made the application?

Has anyone had problems with BT's online application process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

OFDM wrote:
    What's the BT address you send it to after you made the application?

BT,
    First Floor,
    Grand Canal Plaza
    Upper Grand Canal Street,
    Dublin 4

and i'm feckin off to bt aswell....gave this crowd enough of my cash...:(

Whats the easiest (least downtime) way to move....send the forms off to BT and then tell utv or what??? remember reasing a post on it before...can't find it now...

Anarchist wrote:
    Also where is their hands on guy who used to post the way here Gareth from Smart does.
    I forget his name.

No wonder you forget his name its a long long time since anyone from UTV appeared on here:rolleyes:

Gryzor wrote:
    ....Whats the easiest (least downtime) way to move....send the forms off to BT and then tell utv or what??? remember reasing a post on it before...can't find it now...
    Let BT take care of it. They will send you a DTAF (BB transfer form) that you fill in and return. Don't contact or cancel UTV until you are live with BT. The upside is no down time. The downside is you may get caught for an extra month BB charge to UTV due to their 30 day notice rule.
    OFDM wrote:
    Has anyone had problems with BT's online application process?
    Stay away from the online process. It's been fu*ked for ages. Ring sales and do it over the phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

But do you qualify for a discounted rate BB if you do not use the online order system ???

Sponge Bob wrote:
    But do you qualify for a discounted rate BB if you do not use the online order system ???
    Yes. The prices on the phone are the same as quoted online.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I follow the newsgroup and find this all very interesting. I recall last time UTV pulled a false-advertisement trick and a lot of people made offical complaints to the advertising authority, but they got away with it..

I think it should still be done in this case, and I think its about time UTVs customers stood up and told UTV "We are no longer taking this ****". Their Customer Service is pathetic. A lot of the support reps are useless, un-friendly and extremley rude. There simply evil. Big smiles to new customers, and once your in - your ****ed. Bloody pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I emailed UTV about this, and received the following response:
    Hi Tom
    This is from our T&C

6.5 You will be entitled to a monthly data transfer limit as specified
    from time to time on the website, u.tv/clicksilver. If you go over this
    limit we reserve the right to charge you for any excess data transfer at
    1.26c per Mb.

Does anyone have a link to, or copy of, previous T&Cs stating that it was a download limit? I know it says it on the web page, but obviously they will say the T&Cs apply.

Edit - the UTV employee who responded has asked me to remove his contact details, so I have done so.

tomk wrote:

Does anyone have a link to, or copy of, previous T&Cs stating that it was a download limit? I know it says it on the web page, but obviously they will say the T&Cs apply.
    Here is the link to their current T&C's.
    http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/tandc.asp
    At the top of the page there are links to previous versions, depending on the date you signed up.

tomk wrote:

http://www.utvclicksilver.com/tandc.asp

This links to a number of versions but all are recent. In typical UTV fashion they have not anything up previous to the middle of last year which means that a lot of the older customers cannot reference their terms and conditions.

Why not email UTV and ask them for the particular terms and conditions which apply to you - it might be worth asking in the email have they changed the way they calculate the the transfer data allowance (does any other isp use this terminology?)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭speedy21

I used UTV for years - since it was DNA internet but it got so depressing being charged for ridiculous download levels that I left last year! I can not believe these new changes to their pricing, they were expensive enough as it was!
    I wonder is the extra amount they earn by charging customers for downloads/uploads worth more than the customers they are losing because of it?

I'm also baffled by their constant change of customer agreements - I'll NEVER go back to them!

• Advertisement

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I have reviewed every T&C version I can find - current, 1/7/05 - 26/1/06, and pre 1/7/05. All of them contain the clause helpfully quoted above. I and many others, here and elsewhere, are positive that they applied a download limit only, with unlimited upload, but was that ever specified in the T&C? As mentioned above, the website says "Download Cap", and the email informing me of the introduction of excess download charges in 1/7/04 refers to "download limits", but if it was in the T&Cs, I can't find it.

It's all academic for me at this point - the figures clearly show that a move to BT will cost me less, and give me more, so I'm off. I just though that as people are talking about small claims court etc, it would be useful to have the facts straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

this may help
    Archive.org has older versions from these dates.
    Apr 11, 2004
    Jun 09, 2004
    Oct 10, 2004
    Feb 05, 2005

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.utvclicksilver.com/tandc.asp

tomk wrote:
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I have reviewed every T&C version I can find - current, 1/7/05 - 26/1/06, and pre 1/7/05. All of them contain the clause helpfully quoted above. I and many others, here and elsewhere, are positive that they applied a download limit only, with unlimited upload, but was that ever specified in the T&C? As mentioned above, the website says "Download Cap", and the email informing me of the introduction of excess download charges in 1/7/04 refers to "download limits", but if it was in the T&Cs, I can't find it.

It's all academic for me at this point - the figures clearly show that a move to BT will cost me less, and give me more, so I'm off. I just though that as people are talking about small claims court etc, it would be useful to have the facts straight.
    I have an old email somewhere from UTV stating that they do not include upload in the transfer allowance, if that's any good to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/
    on their website it says " Unlimited Option available for only ?5.99 after your first 3 months"below some of the packages
    does this mean no cap for an extra 5.99 per month can someone tell me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

davelerave - no I'm afraid it doesn't, it's then tied into their fair usage policy (which isn't really fair usage, just means they'll limit your bandwidth if you use a lot at peak periods, like when you are at home).......

it doesn't really matter what the T&C's say they aren't likely to stick to anything and this whole matter has once again been handled in a disastorous manner, don't know what's gone wrong with UTV but this sort of thing is just totally unacceptable, for me I'm now getting less download capacity than I had before......crazy

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

TheMonster wrote:
    this may help
    Archive.org has older versions from these dates.
    Apr 11, 2004
    Jun 09, 2004
    Oct 10, 2004
    Feb 05, 2005

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.utvclicksilver.com/tandc.asp

Thanks for that - I have posted them on the UTV Blog...

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Hi All,

As the T&Cs have changed so often, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this...

On Feb 8th, 2005 I started my 3 month free period with UTV, which then went into a contract on May 8th. At the time, I think it was a 12 month contract? (hard to tell what applies at this point!).
    So, If I started on May 8th, 2005, and I decided to move to another provider now, what amount do I have to pay UTV to get out? - is it just a standard cancellation fee, or do I have to pay right to the end of the 12 months (up to May 8th, 2006) ?

I'm trying to get as much info as possible before contacting UTV - I have a suspicion they'll try to gouge me for as much as possible, so I want to know exactly what they actually can charge me for.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide...

-fm

fmul9798, UTV didn't have a fixed cancellation fee in place at that time so you'll probably have to pay the remainder of the contract.

• Advertisement

fmul9798 wrote:
    Hi All,

As the T&Cs have changed so often, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this...

On Feb 8th, 2005 I started my 3 month free period with UTV, which then went into a contract on May 8th. At the time, I think it was a 12 month contract? (hard to tell what applies at this point!).
    So, If I started on May 8th, 2005, and I decided to move to another provider now, what amount do I have to pay UTV to get out? - is it just a standard cancellation fee, or do I have to pay right to the end of the 12 months (up to May 8th, 2006) ?

I'm trying to get as much info as possible before contacting UTV - I have a suspicion they'll try to gouge me for as much as possible, so I want to know exactly what they actually can charge me for.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide...

-fm

Why not email them and ask them for a copy of the Terms and Conditions which were in force when you signed up on May8th 2005? Seems a perfectly reasonable request to me.

Advertisement