Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vince berates Styles

• 09-02-2006 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

According to most wrestling newssites like pwtorch, ringsidemayhem and prowrestling.com etc, they are reporting that vince has been berating joey styles after shows for calling the match instead of ranting about storylines,
    now pardon my ignorance but i though the straightforward commentator called the match and the colour commentators like coach were there to focus on storylines and gags, anyway i like joey styles he doesn't insult your intelligence and i think he's a good substitute(not replacement, i think everyone is going to miss J.R. for a long time) for good old J.R.
    what does everyone else think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I like what Styles does.

To be honest, i think Vince is growing far too comfortable at the top of the wrestling ladder now. He owns the major show in town and he doesn't care because there is nothing to compete with his TV time and the money he can throw at things.

All in all, if he starts trying to change what styles is doing they shows will suck even more. To be honest, i hate the the prominice they seem to be giving to poorly written story lines.

My advice, bring back Paul Heyman, or pray for the second coming of Vince Russo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Its said Vince dislikes the way Styles calls the moves all the time. I love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

i like joey styles, he can be a bit quiet at times, but he is good.
    i like the way coach calls it straight down the middle.
    i like the king more when he is a bad guy, but he is still funny.( bobby the brain was very funny.)
    good old JR was the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I think Styles is doing a great job, I'd rather hear about the matches than the storylines, although I don't actually notice anything like that about his commentating. What really annoys me at the moment is Lawler. All he does is agree with Styles. There's nothing more to what he does, it's pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Styles is a breath of fresh air. much better than what JR ever was imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

I'm also liking the play-by-play announcing skills of Styles. I'd really love it if they could get a Bobby Heenan from somewhere to offset him instead of Coachman, and of course, bring back Paul Heyman!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭moongoose

first off styles > jr. second what would be great to see would be a team off styles & heyman with commish foley. thirdly sod all that get rid off wwe and bring back EC FN W. one night stand june 11th u can hear the chants already "ec dub ec dub ec dub" and best of all where's bischoff [hehe]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Styles better than JR? Bullsh*t. JR's the greatest of all time. No one can convey the emotion in broadcasts that he can.

I liked Styles initially but he's starting to irritate me now. I think it's because Coach is there that everything he says seems so forced.

I'd like to see JR return to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭moongoose

jr better than styles how often have u seen jr carry a whole broadcast on his own???? how often have u seen jr show genuine enthusiasm about a match as oppossed to his disgust of anyone outside of his fellow redneck stone cold or mrs foleys baby boy. whens the last time he called a correct move. when the last broadcast king didn't have to correct him numerous times. i could easily go on & on but if u think jr is better than styles i would suggest u get checked out because your suffering from vince says syndrome. don't get me wrong i ain't a jr hater but i don't consider him the best in the biz by a long shot. hell even tazz & heyman are better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Styles better than JR? Bullsh*t. JR's the greatest of all time. No one can convey the emotion in broadcasts that he can.

I liked Styles initially but he's starting to irritate me now. I think it's because Coach is there that everything he says seems so forced.

I completely agree.
    How often have I seen JR carry a broadcast on his own? Everytime he worked with Jerry Lawler. I like the King but there was 1 guy carrying that commentary team and it was n't him.

When was the last time I saw JR show genuine emotion? JR will go down as the greatest caller of matches ever. He could get stories over, bring them to life and make you feel it like nobody else.
    For those that have short memories, get the tape out of when Benoit won the belt at wrestlemania 20, when Angle won the belt at Unforgiven in 2000, when Triple H beat Foley at Hell in a cell, when Triple h beat Foley at Royal Rumble, the Funk v Flair I quit match, the Steamboat v Ric Flair matches, Rock versus Austin at wrestlemania 15 and 17.

Thats even a pretty shoddy list. The list goes on and on. It started 20+ years ago.
    Commentating is not only about calling moves. Its about helping to describe, add to and put over the overall story of the match. Nobody does it better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'd rather have JR back on Raw, but as it stands I'm happy with Styles, not at all with King though, and I've heard Coach do better on Heat, he's more relaxed and obviously comes up with his own stuff there. I think Cole and Tazz are the best announce team around though. They make a crap match watchable a lot of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

moongoose wrote:
    jr better than styles how often have u seen jr carry a whole broadcast on his own????

JR does fine whether he's on his own or with someone else. Styles has struggled to adapt.
    moongoose wrote:
    how often have u seen jr show genuine enthusiasm about a match

Are you for real? No announcer in history, including Gorilla Monsoon, can match JR for emotion. None.
    moongoose wrote:
    whens the last time he called a correct move.

He calls the correct moves most of the time. Admittedly he can get forgetful but the guy has been doing his job for years.
    moongoose wrote:
    i could easily go on & on

I'd like to see you do that.
    moongoose wrote:
    but if u think jr is better than styles i would suggest u get checked out because your suffering from vince says syndrome.

I suggest you check Joey Styles' first interview on WWE.com when he stated himself that JR was the greatest of all time. If you think Styles is better then JR then you need to remove your head from your rear end as you're obviously not hearing things right.
    moongoose wrote:
    don't get me wrong i ain't a jr hater but i don't consider him the best in the biz by a long shot. hell even tazz & heyman are better.

Tazz and Heyman? Wow. I mean I'm aware people can have bizarre opinions and sh*t taste but you really take the biscuit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i don't think we'll see that ever to be honest, JR is comfortable financially, and he was basically kicked off tv becuause they didn't like the fact that he wanted to do less in the company.
    for god sake he's 53 and has medical problems all his life, not everyone can be vincent 56 year old steroid freak kennedy mcmahon.
    i think wwe pissed on a loyal worker in the true sense of the term with what they did to JR and i can't see him coming back,remember when hhe started and he didn't want to do good old jr but he did it cause thats what wwe wanted and he did it for what 13-15 years and this is how they repay him, if i was ross i'd send vince an email of him flippin the bird and say stuff your announce position.

i'd like to see him back also by the way,but i don't see it happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

i still get the feeling off styles that he's thinking to himself how much he hates working for wwe and feels like he's sold out. get the feeling off him his heart isnt in it as much as he was in his ecw days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Styles better than JR? Bullsh*t. JR's the greatest of all time

one second now, wait. thats it. my opinion is now changed to agree with yours. if we all liked the same things then the world would be a boring place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

JR in his prime (Attuide era and when Stone Cold was around) was better styles but towards the end he was seriously losing it. He kept forgeting names, moves etc. Really annoyed me too.
    Styles does seem to be hating WWE atm but he is better than JR imo.

Advertisement