Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Maintenance Course

Options
  • 09-02-2006 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi i am a retired motor technician, I have been contemplating setting up an evening course to educate people about their cars, How to maintain them, How to know if they are being ripped off etc.

I would like to know of any halls or rooms in Dublin City centre that i could hire and also how many people interested.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

tigerman wrote:
    Hi i am a retired motor technician, I have been contemplating setting up an evening course to educate people about their cars, How to maintain them etc..

I don't know of any halls, perhaps try some colleges?

If someone you educated changed there brake pads for talk's sake, did it incorrectly and the brakes failed causing a crash, could you be liable or did you look into this, just interested (don't wanna rain on your parade :), but... )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I reckon there would be a lot of interest in this as long as it wasn't too basic. i believe this is a problem with most car maintenance courses - they are too basic, they show you how to change oil and that's about it.

You could still offer basic courses but give people the option of doing a more advanced course.

What Sparks400 said about liability is a good point. You'd need to get legal advice about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Great idea Tigerman.
    Feck apprenticeships, certificates, formality, etc.
    The more (hands-on) practical the course the better. Flexible times would be good too.

Ditto what BrianD3 says about it being too basic (oil, filters, plugs, aux belts, etc.).
    I would love to build the confidence to, for example, replace a timing belt or gearbox.

Anyway, keep us posted on developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Any college or school who run evening courses would more than likely accommodate you. I know you can send a course proposal to the School in Clane, and if they think it/you are good enough they'll add your course into their cirriculum (sp).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I personally would be interested in engine changes etc. like the others said....nothing too basic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Why not a room in a pub, you could rent one for about €50/night and when the course is done you could all go on the sauce and drive home !!

Sorry...................that's not even funny !

Seriuosly, its a good idea but maybe you could tell us what area you are in, then folk may have suggestions. Usually local schools run night classes, though not sure what the rent would be or whether what you teach has to be on a formal basis.

Suggest local halls, scout dens, GAA clubs that sort of stuff !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 tigerman

I will keep you all posted

Advertisement