Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received 9K bill from Council after planning approval

Options
  • 09-02-2006 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Hi - just heard from somone that they were approved planning permission and then received a bill from county council for €9000 for the likes of "upkeep of road frontage" and "upkeep of water mains"

anyone ever hear of the likes of this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Who was advising you? This is around for a couple of years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Is it? ive never heard of it till now... just heard from family friend who recently got approved for premission...

anyone got any more details on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Hi - just heard from somone that they were approved planning permission and then received a bill from county council for €9000 for the likes of "upkeep of road frontage" and "upkeep of water mains"

anyone ever hear of the likes of this ?

Yep, a sickener isnt it !!

I had to pay 4,800 for Water, Sewage, amenities & roads.

I live on a one-way track full of potholes, local amenities are non existent, I have my own well & septic tank.

Total fkkking abuse tax.

They do 'discount' you for being on a private water / sewage scheme but its still billable, irony being, try and connect yourself to the water mains, they'll charge you !!

I had to save hard to build up the cost of this bill.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It is a total fooker but i had a to pay a massive 300 euro!! Sorry!!

It seems it is lower in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I had to pay 6 grand, and hand over a lump of land to them.
    The reason cited for the 6K was Water, Sewerage, Roads & (wait for this) "Fees the Council MAY incur!!!!!

Naturally I queried this, which took a long time and alot of phone calls. After speaking with the water department they said they had requested nothing. I argued we had a septic tank, and they said sewerage was a standard inclusion on the letter. The road exists (did not need to be dug up or anything), and there was already an entrance and a house on the site.

So my entire 6K was for "Fees the Council MAY incur". I ended up writing to the top guy in the planning office explaining all of the above, and asking for an exact breakdown of what the money is for (I Think I am entitled to that). I also argued that if I was to renovate and extend the existing house just enough to avoid needing planning, that I would not have to pay thie 6K, so why pay it for a new build? But I never got an answer, just pay up or no house.

It is not even a stealth tax. It is a big bullying ignorant 'sledge-hammer-in-the-face' tax.... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Yop,

I noticed a charge of only 300Euro mentioned at the tail end of
    our planning approval notice from MayoCoCo.
    I recall a guy who I worked with who was submitting in Roscommon
    mentioned that I should anticipate a 3k charge from council.
    We will be on a private community water scheme and puriflo
    septic treatment tank for sewage treatment. Is it just that
    MayoCoCo are not charging as much (not that I want to
    advertise that,etc least said/best mended,etc). Is this an
    initial charge and will they hit with a larger amount later on ?

~ipl

Thats a disgrace! so if you have your own septic tank and well - which you have to pay 1000s for anyway.. they still bill you for sweage and water!!!!

wat a joke... could only happen in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

It is to a degree understandable that if you are building a house to live in then you should contribute to the community / area in which you want to reside, indeed developers these days are seriously bartered over granting of planning, but to my mind the way this tax is applied is wholly corrupt, bordering illegal (i do wonder what standing such a tax has in law) but its symptomatic of the way this wonderful beaureacracy? operates at lowest levels as when a council planner can reject an application purely because he or she doesn't like the house design (without having to give a reason) how can we have any faith in the correct and best use of the tax we have to pay for services we have supplied ourselves !!!?!?!?!?!

Total Boll0cks if you ask me, but, if you want the permission, by hell you'll hop thru hoops with yer a$$ on fire to get it these days, its by no means a right anymore and not a cheap business, between re-draws of plans and negotiations because of w'nker planners i reckon a conservative estimate would come in at over 12k for fees before I even dug a fkkin hole !

FBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Skywalker, it's called the County Council Development Contribution Scheme and it is basically to make the house builder to pay for the provision of services to that house. Get onto your local council office and they will give you a breakdown of the charges as it differs from county to county.

If you provide your own sewage treatment system and water supply then you will be exempt from that portion of the charge.

I had to pay €8500 and this was broken down to €4000 for roads, €1000 for surface water????, €3000 recreation (even though there are no recreational areas anywhere near my site) and €500 community charge.

It is a form of double taxation as we also pay for these in income tax and it is only charged to new builds, not existing houses.

As far as payment is concerned then if you speak to the council they will probably allow you to pay it in stages over the course of your build. A mate is also building at the moment in the same area and he has not paid his yet even though he is moving into the house next week.

Yop €300:eek: :eek: , wow it's cheap in Mayo. The most expensive I heard was in Wicklow where it can be up to €20000. Total rip off.:mad:

Edit, just looked at the planning approval letter I received and it states " It is considered reasonable that the development should make a contribution in respect of public infrastructure and facilities benefiting the proposed development"

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Move to Co. Monaghan. No fees here:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Carb wrote:
    Move to Co. Monaghan. No fees here:D

No Houses either :)

couldnt resist sorry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

yeah water and sweage should be free, why should you have to pay for it :rolleyes:

I had to pay 8880 for two houses on one site to Louth Co Co recently, just have to live with it i guess, i did take two years to pay the fees though and i disputed the playground fees as there is no area available or planned for this yet i had to pay €3k for it.!!
    Cest la Vie

3 Grand for playground fees and no playground in the area?? :) hehe

U didnt pay for 2 years? :) good! make them wait!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yip it seems the 300 euro is price we pay down here, not 3 bad I think.!! 12k, 20k, actually any K is a fooking joke

Yep, it cost me the price of Geothermal system so now my oil boiler is going to be belching out smoke and fumes for the next 40 years. So much for "recreation".

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭AJL

Just got planning in Kildare. they are asking for 15000 euro. Anybody know how you can reduce this?
    Heard a rumour that if it is not used in 5 years you can claim back what they didn't use. And pigs will fly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

tred wrote:
    No Houses either :)

couldnt resist sorry ;)

Aahh, the peace and quiet of country living.:)

Why would you need there to be houses if your building one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

gibo_ie wrote:
    yeah water and sweage should be free, why should you have to pay for it :rolleyes:

I had to pay 8880 for two houses on one site to Louth Co Co recently, just have to live with it i guess, i did take two years to pay the fees though and i disputed the playground fees as there is no area available or planned for this yet i had to pay €3k for it.!!
    Cest la Vie

Is it called play ground fee or money for recreational areas?

Anyway keep an eye on coucil accounts and if you don't like how they are spending your money complain and/or run for office.

AJL, are you providing your own sewage treatment system, if so you can knock €2500 of that bill. If you are drilling your own well or are on a private group water scheme, you can knock another €3000 of it. That's about it I'm afraid. Just make the F*ckers wait for their money, better off in your account than theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

squire1 wrote:
    Skywalker, it's called the County Council Development Contribution Scheme and it is basically to make the house builder to pay for the provision of services to that house. Get onto your local council office and they will give you a breakdown of the charges as it differs from county to county.

That was my problem, I spent about 5 weeks in correspondance by phone and post, and to this day the most accurate explanation I could get for my 6K was "Fees the council may incur" That is a bloody disgrace no matter what way you cut it.

Also, paying a contribution for roads??? What does my car tax, car VAT, car VRT, servicing & maintenance VAT and fuel VAT pay for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

I've had several neighbours bend my ears about these types of charges.
    Frankly i'm sick of hearing all this whinging. Typical Iish attitude. We'll get screwed and whinge for a while to anyone who will listen but we would prefer to moan than do something about it.

Bottom line
    Stop whinging and Challenge it legally via your solicitor and if its unjust then you will win. Kick up a fuss properly or shut up and take it.

Jimmysmith, this has been tested all the way to the High Court in 2003/2004 by the CIF. Just because a tax is legal does not make it just.

Don't hurt yourself getting off that high horse;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭AJL

cheers squire

Already knocked 3000 for the sewage they were looking for 18000! On mains water so have to pay for that. Still counting my lucky stars I got planning in Kildare. As rare as hen's teeth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cushtie

yeah tis a right a right pain alright. My development Levy is €1200, was very luck actually as the site had OPP when I bought it and the fee of €1200 carried through to permission consequent stage. if I was looking for planning now on the same site it would cost around €5K i think.

Anyway I haven't paid it yet. I wonder how long you could leave it before they start chasing you for it.

I suppose they will not sign off on the completion certificate or whatever it is called until you have paid up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

They will be waiting a long time for my fees and wait they will cos I need that money to invest in a f***ing tank to get up and down our road the state of it, the next p***k who comes to me looking for a vote is going to get a good smack in the teeth:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

AJL wrote:
    Just got planning in Kildare. they are asking for 15000 euro. Anybody know how you can reduce this?
    You can't...its the price you pay to live in Kildare:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

I am paying 3k for Roads (and the road certainly needs development!) and another 500 for Community Development in Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

We paid €3500,AFAIK it is calculated on the first 40m2 of development being free, the next x m2 are calculated at a different rate depending on whether you have access to mains water or GWS, bla bla bla.It is disgusting and immoral to make people pay this and just remember to let your local politician know this when they come looking for your vote.
    I will be asking the Fúckers for a development levy to stand on my doorstep and canvass!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

After writing a check for almost 10k to the council we got a letter saying we hadn't paid our chargers. When we went in to find out what was going on they told us we hadn't paid a 30 euro admin fee. Talk about taking the F**king P*ss!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kiss103

got permission to open entrance at side of house/ yard onto a cul de sac.
    But stipulation that must pay 3000 euros for loss of parking revenue to Corpo, there are no meters nor parking scheme on road and no plans for one but corpo would not budge on issue.

Advertisement