Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received 9K bill from Council after planning approval

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

Hi folks,

Do these charges only apply to NEW builds or could I expect a similar bill if I apply for planning for an extension to an existing dwelling?

Cheers

F

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

New Builds only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Fredser wrote:
    Hi folks,

Do these charges only apply to NEW builds or could I expect a similar bill if I apply for planning for an extension to an existing dwelling?

Cheers

F

Think they are charged on extensions also.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

prospect wrote:
    That was my problem, I spent about 5 weeks in correspondance by phone and post, and to this day the most accurate explanation I could get for my 6K was "Fees the council may incur" That is a bloody disgrace no matter what way you cut it.
    Politely ask for a copy of the councils scheme.
    What does my car tax,
    Motor tax goes to the Local Governement Fund and is spent on general council expenditure.
    car VAT, car VRT, servicing & maintenance VAT and fuel VAT pay for?
    General government expenditure.
    CJhaughey wrote:
    It is disgusting and immoral to make people pay this
    If you don't pay it, who will?
    Ginger83 wrote:
    They will be waiting a long time for my fees and wait they will cos I need that money to invest in a f***ing tank to get up and down our road the state of it, the next p***k who comes to me looking for a vote is going to get a good smack in the teeth:mad:
    You complain the road is bad, but still build a house there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I think all this complaing is typical. most of you that are building on land zoned agricultural wounldnt be getting permission if it was in the uk. u are essentialy getting something for nothing when they allow u to build on agricultural land that is worth peanuts per acre.
    just count your blessings and thank yourself you got planning ,and borrow the money over 20 years like the rest of the place. the money is being spent, maybe not wisely but it is being spent. thre government is not a bank.

• Advertisement

No what this tax represents is a way of short term avoidance of the real issue of paying rates.
    The central government rolled back funding for local govt and as a result instead of making everybody pay a fair amount they decided to do the easy thing and hit people who are building with this tax.
    It is immoral because it only hides the real problem ie lack of Govt funding for services and infrastructure.
    So I paid the 3.5k what do I see in return?
    I don't know, I am still looking.

basically they say u are paying a contribution towards infrastructure that is already there and to improve infrastructure, in other words its a tax, but its a fair one in my opinion but rates should be standardised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

lomb wrote:
    I think all this complaing is typical. most of you that are building on land zoned agricultural wounldnt be getting permission if it was in the uk. u are essentialy getting something for nothing when they allow u to build on agricultural land that is worth peanuts per acre. .

Dont know where youre getting your information.... €85K - €120 for a half acre for a site last time I looked.... and i dont see what the UK has to do with anything discussed in this thread either!

Essentially getting something for nothing? i think if you bother to read the posts above you will see that these people are complaining as they are paying for nothing.. ie they are not getting anything for their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

robbin ****rs! I see that ****e every singl day im in work in an architects office! 9grand is a lot to be honest! Dont see many that much

Dont know where youre getting your information.... €85K - €120 for a half acre for a site last time I looked.

im geting my information from the same place every one gets theres. if u are paying 100 grand for an acre outside city or town limits, then u are paying for what is called hope land. u are already being robbed by farmers who know that agricultural land, even the very very best agri land is worth not more than 20000 an acre.
    Essentially getting something for nothing? i think if you bother to read the posts above you will see that these people are complaining as they are paying for nothing.. ie they are not getting anything for their money.

the council and all the people and especially business resident in that area the council has responsibility for have already contibuted towards infrastructure. if a new house is built it has gazumped the process. the contibution equalises the contribution made by others that you make. it is also for future roads, water etc. why should i pay to improve a footpath outside your house in 20 years, when nothing has been contibuted by you. basically what i dont understand is why the payments arent equalised. however one reason is perhaps, areas with less infrastructure have much lower contributions than areas with loads of infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Victor,not many are lucky enough to obtain a site with such good services ie-good road conditions, our only option was a cul-de-sac for reasons being and I quote "The council will look to refuse all planning applications on Primary and Secondary routes". Do you see where people are coming from now!On that statement what does that leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

I just got retention permission on an extension to our 3 bed semi. Among the conditions put down by the planners are that we have to install a grease trap for the kitchen waste, we have to install a water meter, and we have to replace all the toilets in the house with "dual-flush" ones.

I know it's a far cry from having to pay €9000 but the people in the planning offices just don't have any consideration. We'll have to pay a builder to dig up our driveway to install these, re-surface the drive, and then we will have the only house in the estate with a water meter, dual-flush toilets and a grease trap.

:mad: ****1ng stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Victor wrote:
    Politely ask for a copy of the councils scheme.

Did that Victor, by phone and fax.
    I then had to resort to Politely pointing out in a letter that I would NOT pay any fees unless I got a proper break down of what exactly my €6000 would be paying for, which is my legal entitlement.
    The reply was that my P.P was not valid until payment in full was received. But still no explanation.

This is my only real issue. I can understand that there are costs involved, but I do not agree with a system which the council just fabricate a number and then charge it! And my county council have given me no reason to believe it works any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Breezzzzze wrote:
    I just got retention permission on an extension to our 3 bed semi. Among the conditions put down by the planners are that we have to install a grease trap for the kitchen waste, we have to install a water meter, and we have to replace all the toilets in the house with "dual-flush" ones.

I know it's a far cry from having to pay €9000 but the people in the planning offices just don't have any consideration. We'll have to pay a builder to dig up our driveway to install these, re-surface the drive, and then we will have the only house in the estate with a water meter, dual-flush toilets and a grease trap.

:mad: ****1ng stupid!

Who will check the Water Meter ?

As for the toilets in the existing house, tell e'm to go fkoff, the existing house has nothing to do with the planned extension and thus should be exempt.

Went on to our local county councils website to track our application,it came up as invalid, they only have it a week or so,what would be the reason for this?it didnt give an explaintion of say refused just invalid, everything was arranged by an architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Ginger83, sounds like your architecht fecked up. "Invalid" usually means that some vital peice of information has not been included in your application. It shouldn't cause you a big problem except waste of time as you will now have to resubmit your application and probably repay the application fee. They will inform you in writing what the problem is. Strong words with your architecht are required I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Ginger83 wrote:
    Went on to our local county councils website to track our application,it came up as invalid, they only have it a week or so,what would be the reason for this?it didnt give an explaintion of say refused just invalid, everything was arranged by an architect.

May not be as bad as Squire says though, may be something simple like forgetting to sign form, wrong dates on site notice and paper ad/ Incorrect placing of site notice etc... Loads of reasons. You will however get your planning fee back so this is not lost, though time is gone forever... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

Ginger 83,

gibo_ie is right that you get your fee back. What you don't get back is the cost of the newspaper ad, which can be €200 (Independent). New ad is needed and new site notice. Your architect should pay this fee as he fvcked up.

Hi, thanks for the info, we spoke to the planning crowd today, they said we should have received written confirmation about this by registered post, traced it with the post office and no existance of any letter, rang back to be told they were only sending it today, i wonder if we had not have noticed it would they have sent anything?
    The person I spoke to didnt really give me much info, just said something about trees (which there are none on site) and finished floor level in comparison with road level (engineer's fault, i think),will let you's know when i get their info but a bit of a pain to have to resubmit after the trouble i had getting everything together.
    Will this be brought back to the start of the 8 week process again?

Ginger83 wrote:
    Will this be brought back to the start of the 8 week process again?
    Probably, its not a matter of the seeking additional information, which would hold a final decision, but they are treating it as invalid, which means they send everything back and you need to resubmit.

• Advertisement

Sounds like they may want you to do a planting plan/Landscaping etc .
    Just a matter of drawing up a plan indicating proposed positions of trees etc.
    We had to do one and also show how we were going to preserve the trees on site.
    TBH it isn't a big deal just a waste of your time.
    Did the architect/engineer overlook some correspondence that the council wanted?

Take alook here for the Dublin City set-up - the city expects to spend €246m on capital projects to facilitate development. This is spread over an expected 18,000 residential units and 335,000m2 of commerical development and is proportioned out.

http://www.dublincity.ie/business_services/planning/planning_applications/planning_applications.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kilmurry

Hi. I am new to this, but have always read the various posts. I am beginning a self build next month.

I registered today as I felt I had to give a word of warning on these contributions. I deal with cork county council.

I rang ccc yesterday with regards my own contribution of €3388 to to talk about paymentas I hope to start building next month. It seems that if you don't pay your contributions at the time you get your full planning then they increase the amount by 8% p.a but apply it monthly. I received full planning back in June 2005. So now my contribution has increased to €3650.

So for those of you who have huge contributions to pay, Be Warned!

I can see the point of landscaping and showing garden features to a certain point but I plan to seed the whole lot and have a large lawn. Thanks for the info on the payment, hoping mine wont be that big

Advertisement