Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2008 Fixtures Announced

• 09-02-2006 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

2ND September: Germany V Republic of Ireland

7th October: Cyprus V Republic of Ireland
    11th October: Republic of Ireland V Czech Republic

15th November: Republic of Ireland V San Marino

7th February: San Marino V Republic of Ireland

24th March: Republic of Ireland V Wales
    28th March: Republic of Ireland V Slovakia

8th September: Slovakia V Republic of Ireland
    12th September: Czech Republic V Republic of Ireland

13th October: Republic of Ireland V Germany
    17th October: Republic of Ireland V Cyprus

17th November: Wales V Republic of Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

That was a quick meeting. Tough first and last matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Tough away double header against Slovakia and Czech republic as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Pity we're getting the San Marino games out of the way so early, it would have been nice to be playing them towards the end of the campaign. Cyprus and Wales to finish isn't too bad, there's a good chance they'll both be out of the running by the time we play them.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

looks like Wales will be the first competitive international at Croker then.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Getting Germany away first is a big bonus, it'll be out of the way, pity the away game with the Czechs isn't around the same time. Still, it'll be a nice trip to Cardiff in November '07.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0209/staunton.html

Stan the Man said :

"We achieved our key objectives in relation to these fixtures including no fixtures in June thus avoiding possible heat and end of season fixtures"

That is brilliant, fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

anyone any idea where the germany match is??

what city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Apparently countries don't have to announce a venue until 60 days before the match.

seansouth wrote:
    Apparently countries don't have to announce a venue until 60 days before the match.

tell me about it! i hate this rule, gives airlines an advantage and time to hike up prices. notice how ryanair and airlingus have hike up german prices that weekend already even though no definate city has been announced! germany's a big country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Aer Lingus without tax is over 400 return to Frankfurt !!!!!!!

What about all the cheap seats they are supposed to be selling ?

Rip off Republic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Getting a cheap flight to a bordering country and then getting a train might even be cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

We have our flights booked. Ryanair to stansted and easyjet to munich. 150 each. we are obviously hoping its on in the allianz arena.

aer lingus had their prices up within minutes of the fixtures being announced.

big risk going to munich if it's not there! take munich to Dortmund for example where germany have played a few times before (eg against scotland in euro04 qualifiers)

* Distance: 606.9 km
    * Driving duration by car: 5 hours 23 minutes

rather you than me! a potential 11hr round trip! munich would be great though, lovely stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Irish jersey: €50
    Return flights to dortmund: €350
    Accomodation per night: €100
    Food and drink: €250
    Beating the Germans in their own back yard: Priceless

There's some things money cant buy, for everything else there's stan and the boys!

Nice spread of fixtures...don't fancy goin to cardiff looking for 3 points at the end though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

DubGuy wrote:
    Nice spread of fixtures...don't fancy goin to cardiff looking for 3 points at the end though.

I'd prefer it to going to Cardiff looking for 9 points! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Impressions on the draw:

First thing I notice is the double-header away to Sloakvia and Czech. Logistically it's a smart move but don't know if it's wise having two good teams back-to-back away over four days?

Other things to notice is there is no games between March and September 07 which I don't think is that clever. Maybe they'll have a few friendlies during that period?

I'm happy to get Germany away early as we might catch them flat if we're lucky.

Also I think I would have rathered swap the October 06 games and have Czech at home first and then see if we could scrape thru an away game in Cyprus.

Anyway, I think the September 07 games will either make or break us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

smemon wrote:
    anyone any idea where the germany match is??

what city?

Come on cologne....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

how hard would it be to get to the wales match away?

im guessing the best route would be through a tour operator. anyone care to recomment a company?

.....oh november 2007!!

my mistake.

Come on cologne....

had been tempted to go to cologne, pretty central (1hr to frankfurt). could still get there for €130 via england but its not worth it if the match is in say munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

smemon wrote:
    had been tempted to go to cologne, pretty central (1hr to frankfurt). could still get there for €130 via england but its not worth it if the match is in say munich.

I have been looking into this as I wouldn't mind heading over for the qualifiers. I checked out Germany's competitive fixtures for World Cup 2002 qualifiers and Euro 2004 qualifiers and they haven't had a consistent venue for either:
    WC 2002 Qualifiers

DORTMUND 			Germany vs. Ukraine
    GELSENKIRCHEN 			Germany vs. Finland
    MUNICH 				Germany vs. England
    LEVERKUSEN 			Germany vs. Albania
    HAMBURG 			Germany vs. Greece

Euro 2004 Qualifiers

?				Germany vs. Faroe Islands
    NUREMBURG 			Germany vs. Lithuania
    DORTMUND			Germany vs. Scotland
    HAMBURG				Germany vs. Iceland

I don't think it's worth taking a risk on the venue as the fixtures above show. We will know the venue on July 3rd 2006 at the latest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im surprises no one is thinking about going to both the away games against Slovakia and Czech Republic. They are only 4 days apart and very close to each other. Would be a great few days drinking :D

• Advertisement

just to let ya'll know the germany game is in stuttgart

Advertisement