Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leavin UCD

Options
  • 09-02-2006 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm thinkin 'bout changin couses for next year but not really sure what to do. Does anyone know what the score is with fees for startin first year again in a different college and who to go to with, regards to droppin out of ucd? It would be great help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pilson

At this stage of the game, unless you forgot to register for this semester, you're looking at full fees to go to another university....
    say, 5 grand to repeat first year. Less if you go to somewhere like DIT.

Half fees I think If you only registered last semester.

Either way, you gotta do some saving if you wanna change course.
    Bummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

I quit my course last january and then started ucd this year. I have to pay half fees, because I left at the beginning of the second semester(would have been free if I had left at end of the first). Far as I know if you complete the year you can reapply next year through the cao, free fees!! Dunno who you might go to in ucd. Went to the dean last year, but ucd is much bigger so dunno maybe the year head or student advisor? They could tell you who speak to anyway. I know you have to submit it in writing to the dean anyway.

elle wrote:
    Far as I know if you complete the year you can reapply next year through the cao, free fees!!

Dont be getting the poor chaps hopes up. Afraid it doesnt work like that..
    I did a year in DIT, completed it, passed exams then changed to a course at ucd. I had to pay full fees for first year. 5 grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

simple rule is you get one free year for each academic year. So one free first year, one free second year etc. So if you complete first year and transfer to a new course you'll pay fees for the first year and then it will be free for the subsequent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Olbas

I was told that it is half fees if you drop the course before the end of feb. My friend told me that though and I wouldn't take him too seriously. Thanks for all the help anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's true about only paying half fees if you drop the course before a certain date... In UCD I think it's before the end of January though. Fees are a pain in the arse alright, I'm paying for 2 years. Full fees next year :eek:
    You won't be eligible for a grant either, so time to start saving.

That's true about only paying half fees if you drop the course before a certain date...

Yep that's true. Sorry should have said that, my bad.

This is annoying because I sort of knew I was going to do this before this semester but kept goin just in case I'd regret changin. 5 grand is gonna be alot to pay.

Hey what course are you doing at present?

Arts. Don't hold that against me though.

• Advertisement

I wont. The amount of pretty girls in the arts block has me considering going back and doing arts myself.
    So can you not change your subjects next year (I dont know how arts works) or do you just want to get out of UCD?

No I've been thinkin about doing a particular course in DIT. DIT would be a far easier for me to get to but it's more the fact that I wouldn't like to be doin what i'm doin now for another 2+ years and still be unsure 'bout what i'll do as a career. I've nothin against you folk.

wise move. I did Eng for three years and felt the same as regards completing it and making a career in it. So I transfered to comp sci. Meant a few extra years in college and paying fees for 2 years but was def worth it. Best move I made!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Best person to talk about this with is the student advisor for your faculty.Dunno who the arts one is.Two years I was going through the same thing and before I was allowed drop out they make you go and talk to the student advisor,mine is carl lusby.They know all the answers to the questions your asking!

Advertisement