Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Ntl set-up possible

• 09-02-2006 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Hi I need to set broadband with Ntl up in my house, I have two new centrino laptops, and a linksy new router that has been reccomended her and a p4 non wireless ready pc, is it possible to set this up without having the cable in the same room as the pc?,

I was told initially that it was, then the technicians decided they would need to install it on my laptop first,

they are all the details I know as i was not at home when they called or throughout the process my dad was.

Thanks for your help.

And can I use it for Ps2 online through any method at all?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, this setup will work without you needing to get a cable point in the same room as the PC. However you will probably need to attach a laptop directly to the wireless router via ethernet, in order to setup the wireless router for the first time and the NTL engineers will need to use this latop to register the mac address and activate the service.

Yes you can use a PS2 online as long as you get the PS2 network adaptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

and how will the pc get A connection as its not wireless enabled?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sandals wrote:
    and how will the pc get A connection as its not wireless enabled?

Sorry, I missed that part. If NTL give you a wireless router, I believe they will also give you a wrieless USB adaptor for your PC to make it wireless ready.

If they don't you can always add wireless to the PC yourself, either by using a wireless USB adaptor or even better a wireless to ethernet bridge. I highly recommend this model, which I use myself and works extremely well and is much more versatile then a wireless USB adaptor:

http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=119806

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

ok thank you.

Advertisement