Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I'm going to have to stop reading the Indo.

Options
  • 09-02-2006 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

It's bad for my blood pressure! Anyone read today's hysterical ravings as a reaction to the NSC's latest survey on speeding? I've seldom seen such hyperbole masquerading as journalism.

The main headline was shrieking hysterically about the scandal of speeding killers, despite the fact that the article was highlighting that more drivers are being observed breaking the speed limit rather than ploughing into crowded bus stops. Not only that, but you had to read through the figures to discover that in most cases, it was truck drivers, bus drivers and so on that were most guilty of speeding, in most categories, the number of car drivers speeding was signiifcantly lower than other categories. Finally, it didn't say by how much drivers were exceeding the limit (although I hadn't time to read every last word of the article, so it may have been hidden in there somewhere).

My budgie would be insulted if I put it in the bottom of his cage, and rightly so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Don't forget this is the same paper which dedicated a quarter page to a BMW which had paint poured on it.... IN AMERICA MONTHS AGO (and then tried to pass it off as Irish)!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Irish and news...

I emailed cbg.ie about that bmw and the real pics. They admitted they looked fake but weren't too quick about taking it down.

I supose with their website in a major newspaper and all over morning radio they were lapping up the publicity. And who could blame them :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The Indo is getting a bad rep of late alright.

*starts rant*

IMO, the government isn't tackling the issue. I'd love to see how many penalty points have been handed out because of speeding offence's on secondary roads between 12 at night, and 4am when all theses people are being killed.

It's all well and good hiding behind a bush on the motorway at 3 in the afternoon but it's not going to save lives. It's not the Garda's fault, the resources aren't there... :mad:

*ends rant*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I have to say i agree with the original poster.

The figures are a joke as well, they compare 2005 to 2003 for starts and then the other note is that in 2005 the speed limits where different than in 2003 so how in gods name is that an anyalitcal review.

its seems the indo are finding it tight to published proper news stories.

About speeding tho, lorry drivers are taking the piss nowadays, and i dont think meeting delivery times is a valid excuse as i have been told by a driver.

I meet a artic tipping going to fast around a corner i thought it was going to tip on top of me.

Buses are the same speeding way to fast.

I think in general car drivers have slowed down. Or maybe its just me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Sparks400 wrote:

IMO, the government isn't tackling the issue. I'd love to see how many penalty points have been handed out because of speeding offence's on secondary roads between 12 at night, and 4am when all theses people are being killed.

It's all well and good hiding behind a bush on the motorway at 3 in the afternoon but it's not going to save lives. It's not the Garda's fault, the resources aren't there... :mad:

QUOTE]

I drove from Carlow to Emyvale in North Monaghan on 3 occasions between 19th Dec and Jan 5th. Not once in those trips (roughly 1,000 mls), did I come across a Garda checkpoint. Surprising given that this was the peak period of the much publicised "War on Drink Driving". Then what happens ? 1:15am on thurs 5th Jan, I'm driving on a very long straight stretch of road, between c'blaney and c'macross, and get busted for doing 116kms in a 100km zone.
    Eighty quid and two penalty points. Granted, I was going over the limit, but how long are we going to have to put up with this revenue raising, shooting fish in a barrel crap.

Advertisement