Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricky Situation

Options
  • 09-02-2006 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hello,

I am just enquiring about a possible sticky situation.

I am currently renting a lock up with a few other people, 2 of us are on the lease, myself included.

Now it has come to light that i will be leaving and will no longer want to apart of this group nor have any ties with the lock up.

Is this a simple question of ringing the landlord and asking my name to be removed from the agreement? Or would a whole new lease need to be made up?

I don't want any ''events'' coming back to me in the future just because of a paper i signed, if i'm going to leave this group i want to cut all ties now.

What can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

something illegal going on in the lock up eh???
    anyhoo thats neither here nor there.
    Not sure how it works with lockups but with renting accomodation the normal practice is to ring the landlord and tell em you want out and they normally draw up a new lease for the remaining tennants.
    if the landlord is sound that is. They might try and get you to pay them the outstanding amount that is left on the lease agreement before taking your name off it and drawing up an new one.

If you say nothing to the landlord and the others agree to continue on their own but without drawing up a new lease then you will still liable for any damage etc for the duration of the current lease that has your name on it.

Best thing to do is ring the landlord and take it from there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What does the lease say?

If the lease is for a specified time period, you may end up tied to it. If you really want out, consider paying the landlord's expenses in setting up a new lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Addlcove

depends entirely on your landlord, when we had a guy replaced here, landlord just sent over the lease, we deleted the old guy, added new guys name and the date he signed + 2 witnesses signed that are not related to the household.

then again, "my" landlord is a great guy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

Please, for the love of god, tell us whats in the lock up!

Advertisement