Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 2 on the PC (but only if you have Vista)

Options
  • 09-02-2006 6:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just when you thought MS couldn't be any cheeker, they do this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4698072.stm
    Halo fans will have to upgrade their computer if they want to follow Master Chief's adventures on the PC.

Microsoft has announced that the PC version of Halo 2 will only work on the new version of Windows called Vista.

The decision could make it expensive for many to play the game if they have to buy the new version of Windows and extra hardware for their PC.

So, not only do you have to buy a game, you have to buy an OS with it... I wonder if they'll bundle the two :D

cnuts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I bet it would run under wine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

a laughable idea. though most people will end up on vista at some point anyway.
    whats wine? (other than a drink)

Its a windows emulator for linux

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

eyerer wrote:
    a laughable idea. though most people will end up on vista at some point anyway.
    whats wine? (other than a drink)

Ill tell you what is not, Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Matt

I hate recursive acronyms....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sure the game is a load of me arse anyway.

Oh yeah that slipped my mind in the midst of all the hate

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

if they go through with this, then they'll finally be confirmed as a bunch of ****ers in my mind. especially since its a far inferior game, when compared to halflife2/far cry/f.e.a.r etc...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Kiith wrote:
    if they go through with this, then they'll finally be confirmed as a bunch of ****ers in my mind. especially since its a far inferior game, when compared to halflife2/far cry/f.e.a.r etc...

Or even Halo 1 IMO. Frankly the game was saved by its online multiplayer, and that wasn't exactly superb when compared to PC iterations either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I don't see whats remotely surprising about this, of course they're going to start making games exclusively for their new OS, after all you don't expect Halo 3 to come out on the original xbox do you?

Halo 2 is hardly a reason to go upgrading your OS for, it's not worth the price of the game in the first place, especially if its as bad as the PC conversion of Halo 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Sure the game is a load of me arse anyway.

it's saving grace is MP though. which is the point of PC games

if you don't like the game then why does this bother you? it bothers me as much as half life2 64-bit version does. i.e. it doesn't, so there's no point moaning about microsoft trying to get vista on all the gaming PC's on earth if you don't even like the game

steviec wrote:
    I don't see whats remotely surprising about this, of course they're going to start making games exclusively for their new OS, after all you don't expect Halo 3 to come out on the original xbox do you?

This seems pretty unusual though; I mean they basically ensure that their biggest upcoming PC game is tied to an OS that is still unreleased; most companies would have done their best to make sure as many users as possible could have had it; of course they wouldnt have been reaping the rewards of the OS sales.

I doubt it on its own will make too many people crossover to Vista, but I wouldn' t be surprised if this was the first of many such announcements to come.
    I'll upgrade to Vista when I get a new PC, which I was planning on doing anyway, then again... I might go Mac :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Same here didn’t think much of the Halo games and I'll upgrade to Vista when it comes out but not because of this.

My guess is they will update the graphics with resources taken from the obviously still under raps Halo 3 if they don’t it will be a laughing stock of a game compared to current PC games let alone a "flagship title" for Vista and what’s coming down the pipe with games like Crysis.

Even for those who want to play it without getting Vista I would not be surprised to see a hack come out (as a means of limiting the game to Vista if DX10 is only available on that platform) as MS cant make the game Direct-X 10 only as SM 4.0 compliant hardware isn’t even available and will only start to come out around the time Vista does so barely anyone will have those kinds of graphics cards so they will have to do a Direct-X 9 version (for what is a Direct-X 8 game) as well so most people will be able play the game under Vista.

Yeah its not looking good.... god damn them.

I wonder how much they are going to charge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

it's saving grace is MP though. which is the point of PC games

if you don't like the game then why does this bother you? it bothers me as much as half life2 64-bit version does. i.e. it doesn't, so there's no point moaning about microsoft trying to get vista on all the gaming PC's on earth if you don't even like the game

It doesn't bother me. Never said it did. My comment was one of indifference. As for MP, I'll stick to DOD:S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Don't think I'll bother me arse with this. I played the first one on pc and thought it was exceptionally boring. I gave up after a couple of hours. The warthogs were fun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

I wonder will i be able to warez vista and halo in the same torrent..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

didnt even bother finishing the game on the xbox.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

flogen wrote:
    Just when you thought MS couldn't be any cheeker, they do this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4698072.stm

So, not only do you have to buy a game, you have to buy an OS with it... I wonder if they'll bundle the two :D

cnuts.

ehh, thats making the grand assumption it'll be worth buying Halo2 PC in the first place.
    Halo might work on the xbox but on the PC it's not really of much note, as people have pointed out FarCry, FEAR, HL2 et al outclass halo to the point where it's not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Scruff wrote:
    didnt even bother finishing the game on the xbox.....
    It doesn't really finish anyway. The master cheif is sitting in a space ship looking down on earth being invaded and says something like "I'm gonna kick some ass" and just as you pick up the controller, the credits roll!

• Advertisement

ehh, thats making the grand assumption it'll be worth buying Halo2 PC in the first place.
    Halo might work on the xbox but on the PC it's not really of much note, as people have pointed out FarCry, FEAR, HL2 et al outclass halo to the point where it's not even funny.

No it isn't, it's saying that if you want to get Halo 2 you'll need to get an OS with it; I said it was MS's big game, not the biggest game on PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm not sure it's even Microsoft's big game. Age of Empires, Flight Simulator, probably some others I'm not thinking of would outsell the PC version of Halo I imagine.

I still don't think it's an unreasonable decision by MS. They're perfectly within their rights to position their software to support their new OS. You'll have to have Vista if you want to subject yourself to the newest version of IE or Media Player, why would games be any different? It's just something we haven't really seen before because games barely exist on Apple and Linux, and Microsoft have only started making a name for themselves as a games company in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Apathy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It doesn't bother me. Never said it did. My comment was one of indifference. As for MP, I'll stick to DOD:S.

good point. despite halo2's good MP, it doesn't compare to css, battlefield2 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

RotalicaV wrote:
    I wonder will i be able to warez vista and halo in the same torrent..

lol, yeah neither are worth my hard earned cash tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I hope it won't be using cdkeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

taking in how much they charge for Vista and how cheap an original XBOX is now (due to the 360 launch) i dont see Halo 2 inticing anyone over to Vista.

Unless, they announce they will put a proper ending on it. Then Microsoft will be onto a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

flogen wrote:
    Or even Halo 1 IMO. Frankly the game was saved by its online multiplayer, and that wasn't exactly superb when compared to PC iterations either.

agreed Halo 1 was much better than Halo 2. All I wanted from Halo 2 was basically an unchanged Masterchief and a whole lot of the same enemies only a little smarter & faster the second time plus new locations. Instead we got a different game completely. I have only played it by myself and quit it after 2 months completely when I got stuck and eventually too pissed off with it to bother with it again. It didn't help my wife had a baby though & I had nappies to change. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Tbh I'm looking forward to Vista. Albeit solely for that 3d alt-tabbing thing. Haven't read much on it, but saw a few screenies that had that in it.
    Looked soo cool. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

mrblack wrote:
    All I wanted from Halo 2 was basically an unchanged Masterchief
    Anyone else keep seeing that as MasterChef?
    I'm goin' mad Ted. :confused:

Advertisement