Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proper Video iPod coming... apparently

• 09-02-2006 7:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0602videoipod.html

A 3.5 inch touch screen display with a digital clickwheel, sounds like it could be slick but at the same time is a bit of a dirty trick by Apple if true; here's our video playing iPod, no, wait.. here it is...
    I wonder what size it will be too, apparently it will be a video player with music support rather than vice versa.
    I wonder if they'll offer any other touch-screen features besides the clickwheel too... like organiser etc.

tbh, I don't see myself getting this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/09/apple-still-at-work-on-true-video-ipod/ < nice mock up there, but clearly fake.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/02/apples-patented-the-tablet-mac-part-ii/ < that article also suggests touch screen on a new ipod.

I’ve never owned an apple product, I considered a nano, and would still consider a small newly announced 1gig model or the 2 gig that has been out a few months if it wasn’t for the screen issue. However it would piss me off no end buying their product lines, only for a new shiny apple branded piece of garbage to be released a few months later (mini, and imo soon the shuffle will be out the door), not to go off on a tangent but there is a huge fashion emphasis on these products, since there are very small slow-trickling developments, people have been crying out for proper bluetooth support since the 3rd gen, while the slovenly fake tan plastered masses seem to be content with a new colour. Also is a 3.5 inch touch screen big enough, or a big enough leap from the current model?

/me strokes psp (I am clearly hugely biased towards my gadget of choice.)

On the subject of screens, will this device as prone to scratching to the nano? The screen is an even more integral part of such a device, as it has to be both responsive without being fragile, scratch resistant while still giving a clear picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

As one of the comments on one of those pages says, I wouldn't want to watch movies through fingerprints ;)

(...although some sort of stylus control would overcome that)

To be honest, I'd still prefer my non-touch-screen 4" widescreen display Cowon A2 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

The shuffle imo is still perfect as is. Bigger capacity one would be nice so I could use it to hold more music and still have a decent capacity for data when using it as a flash stick. I really like listening to music on it the sound quality is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ham Ahoy!

i had a prediction for apple releasing at least two new iPods this year, it's coming true.

i already have the 30gb video, so no way i'm blowing another e300+ on some other apple prodcut this year.

[Sig removed by moderator]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Typical Apple. Let everyone buy the 4g and then bring out a 5g less than a year later. Very anoying. To be honest id say the 5g was made before the original but waited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Looks like they are copying eachother (click) dancer looks in a certain ipod style and the iRiver has the touch screen:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

The U10 doesn't have a touch screen, it's just a tilting screen, isn't it? So you actually click the screen etc.??
    Lovely device anyway.

I'm happy to wait for Nintendo to bring out PDA software and get the play yan; won't need the new ipodvideo then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Bard wrote:
    To be honest, I'd still prefer my non-touch-screen 4" widescreen display Cowon A2 :D

I miss my H140- but the A2 is a fine beast. Nothing like watching an episode of lost coming home on the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

cabla wrote:
    Typical Apple. Let everyone buy the 4g and then bring out a 5g less than a year later. Very anoying. To be honest id say the 5g was made before the original but waited.

Just a small correction...

The current range (iPod Shuffle 512Mb/1Gb, Nano 2Gb/4Gb and Video 30Gb/60Gb) is the 5G (fifth generation). Future releases such as this proposed touch-screen 3.5" display video iPod would presumably be a "sixth generation" iPod.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Bard wrote:
    Just a small correction...

The current range (iPod Shuffle 512Mb/1Gb, Nano 2Gb/4Gb and Video 30Gb/60Gb) is the 5G (fifth generation). Future releases such as this proposed touch-screen 3.5" display video iPod would presumably be a "sixth generation" iPod.

I'm not sure how Apple work with their Gens, but it seems that this video iPod won't be a replacement for the current ipod with video capabilities, but part of a whole new product range under the ipod brand (like the shuffle was).
    People seem to think that this will be a video player before a music player, and I'm sure apple would be keen to avoid alienating people who just want music while taking in video watchers, so this would be the best tactic.
    With that in mind, I think this might be classed as either a 1st Gen vPod (or whatever) the way Nano's are on their 1st gen, while standard ipods are on their 5th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I wonder will there be many people who will think this is the first of a kind gadget?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

The first and best of these type of products is the Archos range, they've been doing these the longest and have the most experience, plus the PMA430 does everything you could want in a device that size... iPod is way behind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i think it should be pointed out that apple have said that the latest generation is NOT the iPod video but the 5g iPod. it kinda frustrates me when people call it the ipod video.

cant find a link anywhere for above statement...

Advertisement