Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT and the "deposit"

• 09-02-2006 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

In light of UTV screwing everyone over I'm thinking of giving a transfer to BT another go.

Under what circumstances to they request the mysterious "deposit"?

I'm living at home - the house phone is in the mother's name but my UTV broadband is in my name. Would putting the broadband in the mother's name but using my CC details avoid the deposit?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

OFDM wrote:
    In light of UTV screwing everyone over I'm thinking of giving a transfer to BT another go.

Under what circumstances to they request the mysterious "deposit"?

I'm living at home - the house phone is in the mother's name but my UTV broadband is in my name. Would putting the broadband in the mother's name but using my CC details avoid the deposit?

Probably, or just tell them you own the house. They have no way of checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That deposit seems to be mainly for people renting. I've had BT broadband twice, renting in both situations, but never been asked for a deposit. The phoneline was in my name in both cases though.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, they asked me for a deposit when I wanted BT BB also, as I was renting. After agreeing though, they took 2 weeks and told me I'd been rejected for some unknown reason.

So I was forced to switch to Eircom, though in hte coming weeks, I'll probably give Smart a call.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Now that more people seem to be finding BT to be the best option (and willing to run the risk of that dire accounts dept) it seems a good idea to remind anyone who is asked for the 'dreaded' depost to do the following:

Ask them for a statement as to what the deposit is actually for.

Ask them in what circumstances it can/will be forefitted (for instance will you find it has mysteriously vanished in the event of a disputed bill - not a remote possibility by any means!)

Ask them how it will be refunded (and what timescale is involved) in the event of an account cancellation

Get all of the above in writing.

Ask them for a guarantee of a signed receipt in advance of paying the deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

just tell them you own the house that the line is being set up in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

setup an order with BT and got hit with this. Rang them up and was asking the questions posted by Dub45. They were unable to answer when the deposit would be forfeit and said it was not company policy to issue a terms & conditions on the deposit. Not satisfactory at all.

I just sent an email off to the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs asking them if there is a process that should be followed by a company when asking for a security deposit. There is a page on Oasis http://oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/consumer_rights_and_protection/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html that gives information about deposits on purchases but it doesn't deal with this kind of security deposit.

I'll let you know if I get a reply.

djkeogh wrote:
    setup an order with BT and got hit with this. Rang them up and was asking the questions posted by Dub45. They were unable to answer when the deposit would be forfeit and said it was not company policy to issue a terms & conditions on the deposit. Not satisfactory at all.

Give us your money and dont ask any questions!!:rolleyes:

Even a used car salesman would not try that one on:mad:

Incredible behaviour for a supposedly reputable company - imagine introducing a deposit and not having a clue what it is for??? they must take people for gob****es!!!!!

I got a reply from the ODCA today.
    Thank you for your recent email concerning the telecommunications provider
    Esat BT.

The role of the Office of the Director Consumer Affairs is to give
    information and guidance to consumers on their statutory rights. The ODCA
    does not intervene or become involved in individual issues or disputes
    between consumers and sellers of goods or services providers.

This office will investigate the matter raised by you. I should explain
    while it is the policy of the Office to follow up on all complaints it is
    not possible because of the volume of correspondence required to revert
    back to every complainant. Of course the Office will contact you if the
    need arises either in the course of or on completion of the investigation.
    Looks like a generic copy/paste reply. Still, it says they will investigate it so hopefully some good will come from it.

jor el wrote:
    I got a reply from the ODCA today.

Looks like a generic copy/paste reply. Still, it says they will investigate it so hopefully some good will come from it.

They seem to have missed the point that there is no dispute invovled. They are being asked can a Company insist on a customer paying up a deposit to which they the Company are not prepared to answer any question on.

The answer would appear to be a no brainer but...........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement